2002 Marzocchi Jr-T

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2002 Marzocchi Jr-T
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 7:32 Quote
I've got an old Specialized Big Hit, that I keep around as a spare bike for when friends or family come over to visit. It's got a set of 2002 Marzocchi Jr-T forks on it that are in need of a re-build. They are in quite good shape, for their age, but have started to leak a bit of oil...

I've never torn into a fork before, but I'm quite mechanically adept. I've worked in the auto industry for a number of years, so I'm pretty comfortable with tools.

My question: Is this something I should be attempt on my own, or should I take it into my LBS & leave it to the 'professionals'?

It isn't really a financial thing - I'm not just trying to be cheap. I very much enjoy the process of taking things apart & seeing how it all works. I find it quite satisfying doing these kinds of repairs on my own!

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 7:58 Quote
I say get to it, here's a link to a site that has the proper service manual for your fork, you just have to scroll down a bit Link.

If you plan on reusing your oil, I suggest getting 2 separate containers that way you don't have to worry about measuring. Put down some towels since the oil continues to slowly drip out for a bit even after its been empty.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 8:56 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
I say get to it, here's a link to a site that has the proper service manual for your fork, you just have to scroll down a bit Link.

If you plan on reusing your oil, I suggest getting 2 separate containers that way you don't have to worry about measuring. Put down some towels since the oil continues to slowly drip out for a bit even after its been empty.

WOW!!! Thanks so much - the service manual is great & the procedure doesn't look that difficult at all.

So... next question... Is there such a thing as a 'rebuild kit' or will I have to buy the seals, wiper, oil... separately? Also, will I have a difficult time finding these parts for such an ancient fork?

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 10:13 Quote
No, you won't have problems finding the parts you need. 02 Junior T's have 32 mm stanchions do they not? (can not remember what year they went from 30mm to 32mm standard) Any 32mm Marzocchi seal kit will fit, they are not model specific, and the new ones use the same system as the old ones. When you buy the seals, they will come with the wiper and oil seal in one package, and will likely be around 30 bones, give or take. As for the oil, I would invest in some new stuff. Run over to you local moto shop and spend the 15 bucks for enough oil to do your fork 4 times, rather than an insane amount for enough to do it once at the bike shop.

As for the procedure, the older zocchi stuff is about as simple as it gets, there is very little to screw up, especially in a Junior T. It is an excellent fork to learn on seeing as you know how to turn a wrench so to speak. If in doubt, take a picture after every step, that way if something goes astray you will know it before you get things back together, which could be potentially disastrous. It will also tell you what order any spacers and whatnot go in, which is important.

O+
Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 10:42 Quote
i've done an oil/seal change on my jrt years ago, plus my many 888's i've owned.. never ever messed any of it up, all went perfect. Very easy process to do on your own. Few small things. I like the detail. When you drain your oil, i usually leave the fork legs upside down, or how ever the oil drips out for many hrs( if not over night) to get all the oil gravity will take out for me. Then i wipe it clean with a sponge/rag/absorbant pad.. etc. Just read up alot on installing seals and wipers. Other then that.. it should be a $50 job at the most. And like the above post. USE motocycle fork oil, CHEAPER and yes.. did i say CHEAPER! I've gotten 6 oil changes out of a 12$ bottle.

good luck

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 10:53 Quote
i rebuilt my boxxer and drop-off triple no problem. im 180lbs and like a stiffer ride so i use 180cc of 5wt in rebound and 165cc of 10wt (or 5wt for even stiffer) . make sure its full synthetic though! full syn engine oil works fine
i know there will be some objection to this ha

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 11:07 Quote
Engine oil=bad idea. For one, it is a detergent oil meaning it picks up debris and carries it, great for an engine, bad for your forks valving and cartridges, and two, have fun getting the proper weight.

Also, a 10wt oil will give you more damping, not the 5wt like you have said.

Posted: Dec 4, 2008 at 12:52 Quote
Thanks for all the great info & suggestions everyone!! I'm feeling waaaaay more confident about tackling this rebuild on my own now & I'm excited to get started.

Any good suggestions of online retailers for a seal kit, or should I just deal with my LBS...

Posted: Apr 9, 2011 at 15:12 Quote
how did you get on with your rebuild? I'm about to do the same to my own 02 Jr T's. The tech spec on the website say they have 30mm stanchions, was this the case you found?

Also the link Ezekiel put up has expired, do you still have it somewhere?

Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 9:49 Quote
anybody know where I can get the internals for an 02 jr T I put mine to be an air fork years ago but can't find the parts to change it back

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2014 at 10:43 Quote
HardtailHucker03 wrote:
anybody know where I can get the internals for an 02 jr T I put mine to be an air fork years ago but can't find the parts to change it back

if you can't find them threw marzocchi, chances are they no longer exist. time for an upgrade.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011642
Mobile Version of Website