Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: May 21, 2015 at 14:04 Quote
As a start, i just purchased some golden spectro 125/150 oil. I'll take it apart and clean everything and then degrease, hopefully i won't have to change seals. But if i have to, would it the be possible to use my old set of seals, there's nothing wrong with them, only change because i wanted to try the SKF seals.

Posted: May 21, 2015 at 14:33 Quote
NoiNPO wrote:
As a start, i just purchased some golden spectro 125/150 oil. I'll take it apart and clean everything and then degrease, hopefully i won't have to change seals. But if i have to, would it the be possible to use my old set of seals, there's nothing wrong with them, only change because i wanted to try the SKF seals.

Yes your old seal would be better to use as the skf seals are swelled. Just make sure it actually is bad seals, you'll notice it very easily if there is too much stiction when you take the fork apart.

Posted: May 24, 2015 at 12:32 Quote
I've worked on my truck, car and MX bike suspensions. For the MTB suspension fork, is it important to grease the slide bushings in the lowers, even though oil is added to the lowers? If yes, what is a good grease that does not wash out with oil, as well as not having a negative effect with the fork oil?

Posted: May 24, 2015 at 12:57 Quote
XCMark wrote:
I've worked on my truck, car and MX bike suspensions. For the MTB suspension fork, is it important to grease the slide bushings in the lowers, even though oil is added to the lowers? If yes, what is a good grease that does not wash out with oil, as well as not having a negative effect with the fork oil?
depending on the fork. Use rockshox grease or slickolium I think it's called. Just a thin film is all u need.

Posted: May 24, 2015 at 13:00 Quote
this is what Rs is using, it melts together with the shock oil

photo

i've been using Slick Honey and no oil in lowers when i had Fox and it lasted twice as long and felt smoother than with oil Wink

O+
Posted: May 24, 2015 at 13:02 Quote
brigand wrote:
this is what Rs is using, it melts together with the shock oil

photo

i've been using Slick Honey and no oil in lowers when i had Fox and it lasted twice as long and felt smoother than with oil Wink

I'm liking the feel of Slick Honey as well. Super smooth.

Posted: May 24, 2015 at 13:08 Quote
only way to get it here is from US, stil have a few seasons left and i can't think of anything nearly as good when i spend it

Posted: May 24, 2015 at 14:53 Quote
I have Sun Tour Slick Honey. I've used that inside the lowers oil seals on every fork I have. Using Push seals on this fork, RS Sektor UT coil 2011-2012

Wont using grease only have an issue of migrating out of the dynamic area after so much use, causing a need to remove the lowers more often to grease the bushings, seals, rebound damper rod and stanchions?

Posted: May 24, 2015 at 15:55 Quote
XCMark wrote:
I have Sun Tour Slick Honey. I've used that inside the lowers oil seals on every fork I have. Using Push seals on this fork, RS Sektor UT coil 2011-2012

Wont using grease only have an issue of migrating out of the dynamic area after so much use, causing a need to remove the lowers more often to grease the bushings, seals, rebound damper rod and stanchions?
Its more dirt contamination that's the problem than anything. I never used grease on my fox forks but on rockshox, always.

Posted: May 25, 2015 at 1:58 Quote
grease on Fox works much better, the finish on the stanchions is too slick and the bushes to tight (compared to other brands) so the oil is not sticking to it too much, Fox is famous for being a bit sticky anyway Smile

can't wait to open up my X-Fusion Vengeance, still working great since i got it but i bet it would feel even nicer after Slick Honey and SKF treatment Smile

Posted: May 25, 2015 at 5:15 Quote
brigand wrote:
grease on Fox works much better, the finish on the stanchions is too slick and the bushes to tight (compared to other brands) so the oil is not sticking to it too much, Fox is famous for being a bit sticky anyway Smile

can't wait to open up my X-Fusion Vengeance, still working great since i got it but i bet it would feel even nicer after Slick Honey and SKF treatment Smile
I always stored my bike verticle or upside down and my fox's always feel good haha

Posted: May 25, 2015 at 13:04 Quote
makripper wrote:
brigand wrote:

I always stored my bike verticle or upside down and my fox's always feel good haha
I store my bike upside-down as well. Otherwise, if the bike sits right side up for a few days without use most of the oil will have migrated to the bottom of the lower. You'll then need to tip your bike up and cycle the fork with your hand to coat the bushings. Storing it upside-down will ensure the oil bushings are always wet and that the oil will migrate down over the bushings when put in the upright position before a ride.

Picking up a tube of PM600 tomorrow. Also need to have the mech take a look at the CSA and lowers, gutted, and see if he can think of were this feeling in the movement might be coming from.

PM600 for bushings and 15wt Motorex for bath, it is!

I guess I need to ask; can the poly-metal bushings move during a full tear-down servicing?

Posted: May 27, 2015 at 19:45 Quote
Any DIY peeps out there? I'm wanting to ramp up my Pike, but I find it hard to spend $20 for bottomless tokens. Anyone tried homemade volume adjusters?

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 5:07 Quote
hamncheez wrote:
Any DIY peeps out there? I'm wanting to ramp up my Pike, but I find it hard to spend $20 for bottomless tokens. Anyone tried homemade volume adjusters?

Nope, but they should be a piece of piss to make. all they have to do is take up space, and not go anywhere they shouldnt. You could literally just drop a bouncy ball in there and be done with it, although I would suggest finding some way of securing it to the underside of the top cap, as bottomless tokens do.

Posted: May 28, 2015 at 9:00 Quote
Just use thick oil such as transmission oil. That's what people did before tokens were around

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018324
Mobile Version of Website