Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
O+
Posted: May 28, 2015 at 10:58 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Just use thick oil such as transmission oil. That's what people did before tokens were around
Never do that with SoloAir! If you put oil into the air cartridge, it'll eventually fill the negative chamber rendering it useless.

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 6:36 Quote
MrDuck wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:
Just use thick oil such as transmission oil. That's what people did before tokens were around
Never do that with SoloAir! If you put oil into the air cartridge, it'll eventually fill the negative chamber rendering it useless.
The only kind of oil you should put in a fork is Fork oil.

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 6:37 Quote
HardtailHucker03 wrote:
MrDuck wrote:
bikerboywill wrote:

Nah ATF is fine to put in your fork as a lubricant. Not as damping oil tho. And definitely not to increase ramp up on a solo air spring.

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 6:39 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
HardtailHucker03 wrote:
MrDuck wrote:

Nah ATF is fine to put in your fork as a lubricant. Not as damping oil tho. And definitely not to increase ramp up on a solo air spring.
I always use 10wt oil for moto forks on my forks.

Posted: May 29, 2015 at 8:22 Quote
I've never done it on rockshox forks to be fair, but on my 32's on my dj bike and 36's its worked a treat

O+
Posted: May 29, 2015 at 10:01 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
I've never done it on rockshox forks to be fair, but on my 32's on my dj bike and 36's its worked a treat
Yep, because they have a coil negative spring Smile It could also work with RS's Dual air spring as it doesn't allow air flow between positive and negative chambers, and it is a valid way to add ramp-up to the fork. It just doesn't work with SoloAir.

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 18:44 Quote
I have a 2013 Boxxer WC and lost my tuning guide, could anyone take a picture of their base tune page from rock shox and send it to me? I found a guide online for a 2010 but the click count doesnt match.. another thing, I cant seem to be able to change my low speed rebound without turning the high speed, any clue how to fix this? Thanks

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 22:56 Quote
Hi guys.

I have a Pike and Monarch Plus Debonair combo in my Enduro 29 (which is a common combo in many bikes) and I was wondering what setup people use for both of them.

For example many people run quite low sag (20%) in their Pikes and say that they have great small bump sensitivity but when I ran anything less than 30% the ride is really harsh. And the strange thing is that I am 250 lbs (115 kg) so according to Sram I should be using above 100 psi but to get the performance that I want I need to drop the pressure down to 85 psi. And still I don't use full travel but I am not doing any jumps.

At this point let me also add that I had a similar issue with my Domain and Lyrik (in previous bikes) when I was also using softer springs or lower psi to get the plushness that I wanted from a long travel bike.

Ad for the Debonair I hear that many people need the run a lot of psi to get appropriate sag but it is not the case for me since with 250-270 psi (350 is max) I get the sag that I want which is again around 30-35%.

So my question is this considering the fact that I prefer to run 30-35% sag in both my fork and shock. Do people have a different understanding about what small bump sensitivity and plushness mean? Do you have any suggested setup for the best coordination of a Pike and Monarch Plus so it can chew everything and still be supportive enough?

Thank you in advance

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 23:47 Quote
gpgalanis wrote:
Hi guys.

I have a Pike and Monarch Plus Debonair combo in my Enduro 29 (which is a common combo in many bikes) and I was wondering what setup people use for both of them.

For example many people run quite low sag (20%) in their Pikes and say that they have great small bump sensitivity but when I ran anything less than 30% the ride is really harsh. And the strange thing is that I am 250 lbs (115 kg) so according to Sram I should be using above 100 psi but to get the performance that I want I need to drop the pressure down to 85 psi. And still I don't use full travel but I am not doing any jumps.

At this point let me also add that I had a similar issue with my Domain and Lyrik (in previous bikes) when I was also using softer springs or lower psi to get the plushness that I wanted from a long travel bike.

Ad for the Debonair I hear that many people need the run a lot of psi to get appropriate sag but it is not the case for me since with 250-270 psi (350 is max) I get the sag that I want which is again around 30-35%.

So my question is this considering the fact that I prefer to run 30-35% sag in both my fork and shock. Do people have a different understanding about what small bump sensitivity and plushness mean? Do you have any suggested setup for the best coordination of a Pike and Monarch Plus so it can chew everything and still be supportive enough?

Thank you in advance

Have you put tokens in? I think most people are running 2 tokens to get the right balance. Also, play with you rebound , you might have it too slow and the fork is packing up under consecutive hits. If you've got the RTC3 you can mess with the compression too.
I would suggest setting everything to the middle settings, taking a shock pump and a note book, and hitting one challenging section of track over and over while making small adjustments, one or two clicks to the fork and shock each time and writing down what felt best.
I'm running 35% sag in the Debonair and about 25% in the Pike and they feel awesome.
If your still not happy with it, it might need a service.

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 1:01 Quote
Thank. It seems that we are not far away. Do you measure your sag seated or in the attack position?

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 1:03 Quote
Shock seated, fork in attack.

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 1:42 Quote
Why do you measure the shock seated? For pedaling efficiency?

Posted: Jun 9, 2015 at 2:52 Quote
No particular reason, that's just how I've always done it and seen other people do it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014662
Mobile Version of Website