Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Jun 20, 2015 at 3:21 Quote
adjust the HSR so it doesn't pack up, try to make it on a faster side, then make the LSR a bit slower to make the bike steady in air Wink

Posted: Jun 20, 2015 at 10:45 Quote
^^^exactly the same adjustments I made this morning and feels better now. Thank you, Brian and brigand!

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 at 12:50 Quote
Hmm, I found mine to work good with a fast LSR to work better over all the small chatter, roots and rocks and then a bit slower HSR to get more control on the big compressions. Might have to test out the opposite a day then.

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 at 14:41 Quote
staike wrote:
Hmm, I found mine to work good with a fast LSR to work better over all the small chatter, roots and rocks and then a bit slower HSR to get more control on the big compressions. Might have to test out the opposite a day then.
I think you've got it backwards

Posted: Jun 27, 2015 at 22:19 Quote
Hey guys, I am looking for some help. I have a 2014 fox 36 talas fork on my bike. It has 180mm of travel and rides terrifically I do however have one problem. The fork is too soft, when I hit a 3 or 4 foot to flat or even a 4 or 5 foot jump it bottoms. This might not be a problem for a regular rider however i weigh 130lbs and I have the fork pumped up to 195psi (just under the 200 max). It is fine for the stuff I am doing now but i want to hit bigger jumps so I need the fork to be firmer. Any suggestions? I have also messed with the HSC and LSC but nothing seems to help.

Posted: Jun 28, 2015 at 2:22 Quote
More heigh speed compression or you need to change the volume of the air spring. I'm not sure how you do it on a talas but on a float you can just add oil

Posted: Jun 28, 2015 at 3:59 Quote
Mrthebob wrote:
Hey guys, I am looking for some help. I have a 2014 fox 36 talas fork on my bike. It has 180mm of travel and rides terrifically I do however have one problem. The fork is too soft, when I hit a 3 or 4 foot to flat or even a 4 or 5 foot jump it bottoms. This might not be a problem for a regular rider however i weigh 130lbs and I have the fork pumped up to 195psi (just under the 200 max). It is fine for the stuff I am doing now but i want to hit bigger jumps so I need the fork to be firmer. Any suggestions? I have also messed with the HSC and LSC but nothing seems to help.

Suggested air pressure for a 130 lbs rider is 95 psi on your fork. Seems like something is wrong with either your pump or fork if you're running 195 and still find it too soft on small drops.

I have a 2014 Float 160 on my trail bike, I weigh 160 lbs with gear and run 80 psi and the recommended is 70. I don't bottom out very often.

Posted: Jun 28, 2015 at 4:07 Quote
Mrthebob wrote:
Dude, you're jumping to flat! :-)
Are you getting the correct sag at 195psi? Turn your HSC one revolution from fully closed. Keep adding HSC until satisfied. If you need to close it all the way to prevent bottom outs, you might need to rebuild the talas cartridge.

Posted: Jun 28, 2015 at 11:54 Quote
Thanks for the help guys and yes I am running the correct amount of sag. I do however have to have the hsc dialed all the way over to help prevent bottoming so I'll try adding oil and if that doesn't work I'll send it to push or someone for a rebuild. Also the proper pressure on my fork for a rider of my weight is 105psi so I shouldn't have to run 195 http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=43

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 at 3:02 Quote
Try a heavier wieght oil, and/or add another 5ml above recommended.

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 at 14:56 Quote
Mrthebob wrote:
Thanks for the help guys and yes I am running the correct amount of sag. I do however have to have the hsc dialed all the way over to help prevent bottoming so I'll try adding oil and if that doesn't work I'll send it to push or someone for a rebuild. Also the proper pressure on my fork for a rider of my weight is 105psi so I shouldn't have to run 195 http://www.ridefox.com/help.php?m=bike&id=43
Well that definitely sounds like there's something broken (probably the air spring), so you're going to need to take it to get rebuilt. No way that's just an issue of more/less compression or oil weight.

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 at 17:59 Quote
Air leak from positive to negative spring?

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 at 18:37 Quote
Mrthebob wrote:
like others said, something is not right. If it really has 200psi it should be very firm for your weight.
Try letting out all the air, cycle the fork to see how it feels, check whether the Compression adjustments are working, then air it up again and cycle it to equalize the negative. Ride to see if anything changed. If it's still too soft, like B&F said, get it looked at.

Posted: Jun 30, 2015 at 19:08 Quote
Alright thanks guys, I may just send it to push. Im a little frustrated though cause i just bought it from someone on pink bike a few weeks ago and only just rode it on real trails a couple of days ago so i was hoping it would be something i would be able to ride and not have to mess with. Oh well, thanks for the help everyone

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015282
Mobile Version of Website