Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 12:19 Quote
brigand wrote:
I'm also on the "stiffer" side of the things on Monarch + and XF Vengeance, the bike is much faster and controled with less sag, i do bottom it out on a drop we have on one of our trails with about 15mm more to go on the fork.

How do you like the Vengeance?

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 12:26 Quote
brianl wrote:
gpgalanis wrote:
Hi. After many attempts I am still trying to dial my Pike and Monarch Plus Debonair in my Enduro 29. I initially started with a lot of sag in the attack position (around 35%) and then in every ride I kept adding air until I resulted in a much stiffer setup (around 27.5% in both ends) that I seem to prefer because it gives me a much more controlled ride but I don't use all travel (maybe 75%) in my regular rides.

Having heard the "use your full travel at least once in every ride" obviously I should remove some air but this will spoil my preferred setup so I decided not to follow the above rule. After all do you think that it is normal to always use all travel (160mm in my case) in all rides regardless of the type of trails (flowy vs gnarly)?
If you like how it rides but only using 75% travel, maybe worth checking for volume spacers that can be removed?

This is my next step after I settle down with my initial desired setup.

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 13:54 Quote
panaphonic wrote:
brigand wrote:
I'm also on the "stiffer" side of the things on Monarch + and XF Vengeance, the bike is much faster and controled with less sag, i do bottom it out on a drop we have on one of our trails with about 15mm more to go on the fork.

Loving it, super plush initial stroke, linear coil like action, good midstroke support, good bottom out, really stiff. I'm on HLR Air.

Posted: Sep 14, 2015 at 16:43 Quote
brigand wrote:
panaphonic wrote:
brigand wrote:

Loving it, super plush initial stroke, linear coil like action, good midstroke support, good bottom out, really stiff. I'm on HLR Air.

was thinking of going for one of those. they come up pretty cheap on here occasionally.

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 at 5:36 Quote
Hello guys,

I have new shock CCDB air on my Specialized Enduro 26" 2014. for correct sag I use 110 psi (I have only 55kg). and I have few questions.

1) what is the difference between changing the air volume and adjusting HSC? I think that the both things do the same right?

2) For example when I ride 25 km/h and I hit a rock/root which will be 10cm/4 inches high (just standard obstacle on the track) what will take care about that LSC or HSC?

3) Is HSC just for landing from jumps and drops or also for obstacles on the track?

thank you!
Becis

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 at 6:16 Quote
Becis wrote:
Hello guys,

I have new shock CCDB air on my Specialized Enduro 26" 2014. for correct sag I use 110 psi (I have only 55kg). and I have few questions.

1) what is the difference between changing the air volume and adjusting HSC? I think that the both things do the same right?

2) For example when I ride 25 km/h and I hit a rock/root which will be 10cm/4 inches high (just standard obstacle on the track) what will take care about that LSC or HSC?

3) Is HSC just for landing from jumps and drops or also for obstacles on the track?

thank you!
Becis
1. HSC is for lots of little and fast bumps.
2. HSC
3. LSC is for big jumps and drops when your going to be using a lot of suspension

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 at 6:33 Quote
Becis wrote:
Hello guys,

thank you!
Becis

1) Hsc controls how much hydraulic resistance there is to high speed hits. This does not change depending on where you are in your travel, so a hit at full extension will be dealt with the same as a hit at half travel. Air volume changes the ramp up, so has no effect on a hit at full extension, but a large effect on hits at near full travel. Reducing the air volume will reduce bottom outs, without affecting much else. Increasing hsc will reduce bottom outs AND make the shock feel harder all the time.

2) HSC

3) LSC deals with smooth landings, brake dive, pedal bob, body weight adjustments etc. HSC deals with trail obstacles like rocks and roots and harsh landings.

Posted: Sep 21, 2015 at 14:37 Quote
Haddow-B wrote:
Becis wrote:
Hello guys,

thank you!
Becis
1. HSC is for lots of little and fast bumps.
2. HSC
3. LSC is for big jumps and drops when your going to be using a lot of suspension

Very wrong.

The clue is in the name.

LOW SPEED adjusts any low speed shock movement e.g. Pedalling and weight transferre.

HIGH SPEED adjusts any high speed shock movement e.g. Riding over rough terrain, landing harsh drops and jumps.

AIR PRESSURE adjusts the spring rate of the shock. You should be aiming for about 25-30% sag when your on the bike. Raising the air pressure will give you less sag and a firmer, rougher ride. This will not change ramp up(bottom out resistance) that is done by changing the air volume inside the shock.

I've never ridden a shock that I can have enough low speed compression that I don't bob from pedalling and have enough support whilst cornering hard but also be subtle over bumps and give me maximum traction. There's always a compromise adjusting the compression

Posted: Sep 29, 2015 at 23:11 Quote
Hi guys,
Just need a little help setting up a new vivid r2c on my bike.

Ive avoided using the setup advice from the previous version of the shock as I assume they differ from the new model? Can someone give me the settings that rockshox recommend as base settings please?

Posted: Sep 30, 2015 at 0:33 Quote
Start with compression fully open and a few clicks of rebound on both.

Posted: Oct 9, 2015 at 12:38 Quote
take your time and adjust in slow increments ONE dial at a time. I rode the same lift accessed line at a resort for a full day before I had my CCDB setup how I liked it ( loved it ) now I can roll over choppy sections with ease and smoothness and then launch off a drop and have the same feeling, its pure magic. also make sure the trail you are riding represents a little bit of everything you want the shock to do. and don't be afraid of bottom outs unless they are overly harsh, you WANT to use the whole shock.

Salute

Posted: Oct 9, 2015 at 19:00 Quote
dmadness wrote:
take your time and adjust in slow increments ONE dial at a time. I rode the same lift accessed line at a resort for a full day before I had my CCDB setup how I liked it ( loved it ) now I can roll over choppy sections with ease and smoothness and then launch off a drop and have the same feeling, its pure magic. also make sure the trail you are riding represents a little bit of everything you want the shock to do. and don't be afraid of bottom outs unless they are overly harsh, you WANT to use the whole shock.

Salute

Good advice. I'd say it takes me about 6 months to set up a new bike so that it's set at a good compromise in its ability to work well on varied terrain and also to suit my style of riding.

I can go around in circles quite a few times trying to find the sweet spot with variables like location, weather and physical/mental performance.

Things that I've been working at are the obvious like shock pressures, volume reducers, rebound speed, lsc and also things like bar rise and sweep, stem length and height, brake lever angle and also brake feel.

It's important to remember that a bike is a system and that changing one part of that can also have a large effect on other areas of the bike.

Now I'm just fine tuning the angle of my brake levers and that's me about done. It's amazing the effect that a dialed bike can have on your confidence and speed on a bike. I just did a shuttle day and my mates were questioning my newfound speed, wondering how come I was so much faster than last time we shuttled the same tracks.

Posted: Oct 9, 2015 at 20:17 Quote
Quick question: i want to put a fox coil on my canfield one until the ccdb air gets fixxed. The eyelet width is much wider on the session while the canfield has narrower eyelets. How do i remove the wide eyelets from the fox to fit my canfield?

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 6:13 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
Quick question: i want to put a fox coil on my canfield one until the ccdb air gets fixxed. The eyelet width is much wider on the session while the canfield has narrower eyelets. How do i remove the wide eyelets from the fox to fit my canfield?

Use pliers and pull them out if they're stuck.

Posted: Oct 10, 2015 at 14:27 Quote
staike wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:

Use pliers and pull them out if they're stuck.

Canalso hit em with a hammer to get em freed IF you use a WOODEN dowel or block, DO NOT HIT ANYTHING METAL DIRECTLLY YOU WILL MESS IT UP..

Sorry for the caps but its important Salute

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.053513
Mobile Version of Website