Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Jun 25, 2016 at 3:00 Quote
You can get away with it with a different length i2i but a different stroke would give you more travel and would probably give you bottom out issues

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 8:24 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
I wish people would stop worrying about "using" all of their travel. It doesn't matter that you didn't use 200mm of travel riding your local blue trail. As long as the small bump isn't too harsh and your getting support in the corners then your suspension is doing its job correctly
You gotta get your moneys worth out of your suspension. lol

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 9:24 Quote
So my rear shox is f*cked (fox rp23) and i cant adjust the rebound speed, wich is WAY TOO HIGH, i was wondering what would be best, matching the fork rebound, or just putting the rebound wherever i want it o be.
So far i have had my fork rebound speed somewhere in the middle, high, but not close to the shox´s rebound.
Im worried that if i put less rebound in my fork the bike will feel unbalanced (i do a lot of jumps, drops, etc).

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 9:32 Quote
T-rider wrote:
So my rear shox is f*cked (fox rp23) and i cant adjust the rebound speed, wich is WAY TOO HIGH, i was wondering what would be best, matching the fork rebound, or just putting the rebound wherever i want it o be.
So far i have had my fork rebound speed somewhere in the middle, high, but not close to the shox´s rebound.
Im worried that if i put less rebound in my fork the bike will feel unbalanced (i do a lot of jumps, drops, etc).

Fix your shock?

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 9:35 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
T-rider wrote:

Fix your shock?
I dont really think fixing that shox is worth, 2nd hand its selling for 70-100 euros, and its a 2008 shox, plus i dont have the money, AND if i had i would buy brake pads, grease, chain lube first, we could say im poor bike-budget wise.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 9:35 Quote
T-rider wrote:

By high rebound you mean fast? Adding rebound damping slows the shock. Sounds like you need a rebuild. Runs like $200. In your case I'd start looking for a new shock.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 9:37 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
T-rider wrote:

By high rebound you mean fast? Adding rebound damping slows the shock. Sounds like you need a rebuild. Runs like $200. In your case I'd start looking for a new shock.
Yes, i mean fast, my bad haha.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 10:15 Quote
Servicing air shocks is relatively easy, if you are at least somewhat good with your hands. If I were you I'd watch a few rebuild vids for the rp23 on youtube or something and get an idea of if its something you can do yourself. Brake pads and some shock oil can be had for less than 20 euros if you get cheap stuff, and riding your bike without either is asking for trouble whether you set your forks rebound fast or not. But to answer your question, no I wouldnt be inclined to speed my fork up to the same speed as the rear shock just so they match. It'll just mean they are both bad, rather than just one.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 10:28 Quote
I would say speed it up. There's nothing worse than an unbalanced bike. I know of a few people who are incredibly fast and ride with (in my opinion) ludicrously fast rebound. So it works for them then it will probably be ok for you

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 10:37 Quote
i dunno man. I reckon balance is a good thing if both ends feel good. making one end feel shit just to match the other end which is broken seems like a bad idea to me. And im not sure I agree that nothing is worse than an unmatched bike. ever ridden a hardtail with a long fork? they can feel pretty sweet. I'd say nothing feels worse than a bike that rides like a pogo stick and tops out all the time. And this is coming from someone who runs his rebound faster than a lot of people.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 12:03 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
Servicing air shocks is relatively easy, if you are at least somewhat good with your hands. If I were you I'd watch a few rebuild vids for the rp23 on youtube or something and get an idea of if its something you can do yourself. Brake pads and some shock oil can be had for less than 20 euros if you get cheap stuff, and riding your bike without either is asking for trouble whether you set your forks rebound fast or not. But to answer your question, no I wouldnt be inclined to speed my fork up to the same speed as the rear shock just so they match. It'll just mean they are both bad, rather than just one.
I have already taken my shox apart, nothing simple can be done, i think i could mess around with the amount of air in the other chamber (the one that needs a special tool, i think its called ift or somthing like it) but i dont have the tool. Besides, the inner stem that you can see once you take off the air can is cracked, so theres really no point in fixing it.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 12:31 Quote
T-rider wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
I have already taken my shox apart, nothing simple can be done, i think i could mess around with the amount of air in the other chamber (the one that needs a special tool, i think its called ift or somthing like it) but i dont have the tool. Besides, the inner stem that you can see once you take off the air can is cracked, so theres really no point in fixing it.

Oh right. It really is buggered then. Riding a shock in that condition is not without risks however.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 14:32 Quote
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
T-rider wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:

Oh right. It really is buggered then. Riding a shock in that condition is not without risks however.
Worst thing that could happen is to loose all the air just after landing a big drop to flat, probably wouldnt fall from the bike.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 16:49 Quote
T-rider wrote:
gabriel-mission9 wrote:
T-rider wrote:

Worst thing that could happen is to loose all the air just after landing a big drop to flat, probably wouldnt fall from the bike.

If the main damper shaft fully snaps you will likely lose all damping. I wouldnt want that to happen just before taking off on a large jump. You will likely land on your face. If not you will bottom out extremely hard on landing. Bent shock hardware would be the best you could hope for. Much worse wouldnt be out of the question. But hey, its your bike, so its up to you.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009724
Mobile Version of Website