Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Aug 21, 2016 at 3:10 Quote
I would get it serviced, add heavier weight (20wt) oil and add one token.

Posted: Aug 21, 2016 at 6:59 Quote
Literally just put 3 tokens in. I run 25-30% as I find the pike really harsh. My boxxer I can run 10-15% and they feel plush as ever but the pikes are way harder as they have a smaller negative air Spring.

Posted: Aug 21, 2016 at 19:51 Quote
Thank you so much you guys for all of the tips and help you gave me! The fork is absolutely dialed now and I couldn't make it better if I tried! I'm set at 20% sag (47psi), 1 click of low speed compression, and rebound set at the fastest position. Bike is absolutely incredible! Thanks again!

Posted: Aug 22, 2016 at 14:38 Quote
Wow your fork must feel like a lazy boy compared to mine hahaha. I'm same weight and have to run 2 tokens @ 70psi to not blow through travel quickly. Different strokes for different folks I guess

Posted: Aug 22, 2016 at 21:29 Quote
scrippsranchDJ wrote:
Wow your fork must feel like a lazy boy compared to mine hahaha. I'm same weight and have to run 2 tokens @ 70psi to not blow through travel quickly. Different strokes for different folks I guess

Haha nah if it was I'd bump the pressure up a couple pounds to get a faster rebound speed. In also running 2 tokens, different compression tune maybe?

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 5:25 Quote
Your running the forks as fast as they'd go? Surely that can't be right. Sure the damper isn't broken?

Posted: Aug 23, 2016 at 7:32 Quote
bikerboywill wrote:
Your running the forks as fast as they'd go? Surely that can't be right. Sure the damper isn't broken?

The damper is 3 weeks old now. My friend who weighs 140 lbs had the same problem so he asked the guys at his lbs to tweak the rebound tune when he brought it over for a service.

O+
Posted: Sep 1, 2016 at 15:18 Quote
So this is less of a setup question and more of a buying/setup question.
I'm 6 foot 4 and around 230lbs and my rockshox monarch+ rc3 isn't really making me happy. Everyone seems to be going the cane creek direction. Am I upgrading or just spreading my money around? I work as a mechanic, but at a commuter shop in brooklyn so I don't get a whole lotta face time with rear suspension, that being said whatever I buy I will undoubtedly want to take apart

Posted: Sep 1, 2016 at 15:23 Quote
garb0 wrote:
I'm 6 foot 4 and around 230lbs and my rockshox monarch+ rc3 isn't really making me happy. Everyone seems to be going the cane creek direction. Am I upgrading or just spreading my money around? I work as a mechanic, but at a commuter shop in brooklyn so I don't get a whole lotta face time with rear suspension, that being said whatever I buy I will undoubtedly want to take apart

I would stay away from cane creek then as they are not a nice thing to service. if you want some thing serviceable by yourself, maybe go with a float x2 or a vivid

Posted: Sep 1, 2016 at 15:26 Quote
Buy a debonair can for it and stuff it full of bands.

Posted: Sep 1, 2016 at 15:30 Quote
garb0 wrote:
You've got a few options.
- Suck it up for the climbing and get a coil, you can get a Vivid RC2 for pretty cheap.
- Get an DB Air, the inline might be okay, but lots of people have had issues, enough that CC admits it.
(You can't take a DB air apart without some specific tools and a way to charge it with nitrogen)
- Get an Float X2, they are amazing, but pricey.
I'm 6'2 and 90kg, and I went from a Monarch to the X2 and they're not even comparable, it's that good.

Posted: Sep 1, 2016 at 17:24 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
garb0 wrote:
- Suck it up for the climbing and get a coil, you can get a Vivid RC2 for pretty cheap.
- Get an DB Air, the inline might be okay, but lots of people have had issues, enough that CC admits it.
(You can't take a DB air apart without some specific tools and a way to charge it with nitrogen)
I'm 6'2 and 90kg, and I went from a Monarch to the X2 and they're not even comparable, it's that good.
who'd have thought a DH shock is better than a trail shock? Rolleyes

Posted: Sep 1, 2016 at 18:16 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:
garb0 wrote:
Is that what it is? That explains it. Thanks captain.

Posted: Sep 1, 2016 at 21:39 Quote
Clarkeh wrote:
Nobble wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:

i've run a bunch of shocks on my Enduro, the monarch is the best balance of capability and sprightliness IMO.

Other stuff like the CCDBA cs feels like a DH shock stuffed into a bike that's not capable enough for it.

I'm not saying the X2 isn't good. I'm sure it's great. That's just not what the monarch is supposed to be. If you want to compare the monarch plus to a fox product, compare it to the float X.

Posted: Sep 2, 2016 at 0:02 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Clarkeh wrote:
Nobble wrote:
i've run a bunch of shocks on my Enduro, the monarch is the best balance of capability and sprightliness IMO.

Other stuff like the CCDBA cs feels like a DH shock stuffed into a bike that's not capable enough for it.

I'm not saying the X2 isn't good. I'm sure it's great. That's just not what the monarch is supposed to be. If you want to compare the monarch plus to a fox product, compare it to the float X.
That's what I was meaning, they're not comparable since it's DH shock vs Trail shock. I could/should have used more description to get that across however. But yeah it's RS competition would be a Vivid air if it had a CS.

As for the monarch it's not a bad shock, but being on an XL and being relatively heavy, I either need 250ish PSI in it to make it poppy or have it at 35% sag where it just wallows in the mid stroke and makes the rear of the bike feel dead. I'm sure it wouldn't have that issue if you were lighter and could run it with less air.
I've not tried it stuffed full of bands, but as OP is 6'4" I would assume he would have a similar "holy shit this shock is amazing" experience with the X2.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013993
Mobile Version of Website