Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Suspension SETUP, a 'how to' guide...
Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 8:12 Quote
Snozz wrote:
Anybody using a Fox 34 FIT4 fork and finding it harsh, on both hits and chatter? I've put in 3 spacers to lower the pressure. It's really bugging me. I read in a review that the 2017 model has updated valving to make it more plush but that would be an expensive upgrade.
Try extremes on settings, low pressure lots of volume spacers and high presser no volume spacers and see what works.

Upgrade isnt worth it IMO

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 14:40 Quote
Snozz wrote:
Anybody using a Fox 34 FIT4 fork and finding it harsh, on both hits and chatter? I've put in 3 spacers to lower the pressure. It's really bugging me. I read in a review that the 2017 model has updated valving to make it more plush but that would be an expensive upgrade.

does it have high speed compression adjust? sounds like this is set too high. try the the extremes of this setting going down the same section of choppy track (HSC is hard to set / feel difference in the car park). also try reducing the amount of lo speed compression slightly if the fork has it, sometimes high amounts of LSC can also effect HSC.

Posted: Oct 12, 2016 at 20:33 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
Snozz wrote:

does it have high speed compression adjust? sounds like this is set too high. try the the extremes of this setting going down the same section of choppy track (HSC is hard to set / feel difference in the car park). also try reducing the amount of lo speed compression slightly if the fork has it, sometimes high amounts of LSC can also effect HSC.
also, rebound. Too slow rebound can make a fork harsh somewhat like too much LSC but removing LSC makes it worse (divey + harsh).

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 at 1:17 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
Snozz wrote:

the Fox FIT4 forks don't have HSC adjustment, they are factory set I think that's the issue and I'm wondering If others are experiencing this. I had no issues with my Fox 36 RC2 as it had full adjustment.

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 at 23:13 Quote
brianl wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
Snozz wrote:

also, rebound. Too slow rebound can make a fork harsh somewhat like too much LSC but removing LSC makes it worse (divey + harsh).

indeed, rebound could the culprit. too much and it keeps the fork deeper in the travel where its not as plush as the initial phase of the stroke. definitely feel this on chatter but not necessarily hits and landings where its had some respite immediately prior to return to full extension.

i'm beat

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 at 23:23 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:
brianl wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:

indeed, rebound could the culprit. too much and it keeps the fork deeper in the travel where its not as plush as the initial phase of the stroke. definitely feel this on chatter but not necessarily hits and landings where its had some respite immediately prior to return to full extension.

i'm beat
Thanks for advice. Im gonna do a lowers service and see what difference that makes. I was speaking with a suspension shop today trying to decide on whether my new 36 would be FIT4 or RC2. Anyways he mentioned the 34s often don't have sufficient oil when new so check that first. He also mentioned that the very early FIT4s have some others issues (like bladders that don't fully compress), which mine is, but to do an oil change first and inspect the bladder. In hindsight I should have checked oil levels first.

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 at 0:16 Quote
Snozz wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:
brianl wrote:

i'm beat

i've often heard insufficient oil from the factory has been a prob for some forks, didn't think Fox was in that class. fingers crossed the chaps at the shop get it sorted. must be prime riding time down there in ACT? - not too cold and not too hot yet.
Thanks for advice. Im gonna do a lowers service and see what difference that makes. I was speaking with a suspension shop today trying to decide on whether my new 36 would be FIT4 or RC2. Anyways he mentioned the 34s often don't have sufficient oil when new so check that first. He also mentioned that the very early FIT4s have some others issues (like bladders that don't fully compress), which mine is, but to do an oil change first and inspect the bladder. In hindsight I should have checked oil levels first.

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 at 0:30 Quote
WasabiJim wrote:

i've often heard insufficient oil from the factory has been a prob for some forks, didn't think Fox was in that class. fingers crossed the chaps at the shop get it sorted. must be prime riding time down there in ACT? - not too cold and not too hot yet.
Gonna do it myself and only send it in issues continue. Most trails have been closed here cause it's been so wet but it will dry out quickly at my local hill. Went for a ride today at Stromlo and theres still some boggy sections but the weather was great.

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 at 0:57 Quote
Snozz wrote:
WasabiJim wrote:

Gonna do it myself and only send it in issues continue. Most trails have been closed here cause it's been so wet but it will dry out quickly at my local hill. Went for a ride today at Stromlo and theres still some boggy sections but the weather was great.

i'd really enjoyed Stromlo, about 5-6 years ago. there had been that fire a year or so prior, so no vegitation protectiong us from the sun. it was hot and dusty, and crazy hot. but we kept at it all day. Cardiac Arrest at 33 deg with 4 hrs of riding done already anyone???
Beer

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 at 12:16 Quote
quik question for all pike owners:
how many bottomless tokens can I put in my 160mm Pike RC? Already checked the manuals and its too hard to understand

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 at 14:47 Quote
Why do I get the feeling Scrippsranch and Shredder should be having a shoot-out, not discussing suspension settings?

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 8:00 Quote
Anyone else ridden the new fox grip damper. Just got my new fork and its absolutely fantastic. Blows my stumpjumpers revelation motion control damper out of the water. Running 3 tokens and low pressure and it's so freaking smooth. Drool

(New performance 32 series 120mm)

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 8:08 Quote
Tmonster2301 wrote:
Anyone else ridden the new fox grip damper. Just got my new fork and its absolutely fantastic. Blows my stumpjumpers revelation motion control damper out of the water. Running 3 tokens and low pressure and it's so freaking smooth. Drool

(New performance 32 series 120mm)
I rode it on the new Fuel Ex. I thought it was a bit under damped, but that probably could have been fixed if I had a bit more time to tinker with it.

Posted: Oct 25, 2016 at 9:17 Quote
Any good links for setting up fox 36 fit4
I'm a 100kg
Cheers guys

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.032616
Mobile Version of Website