photo crit thread

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
photo crit thread
Posted: May 1, 2014 at 17:17 Quote
[Quote="NorCalNomad"]
austinrauh wrote:
If you reshoot it might be cool to have the rider exposed in the stronger light that you have most of the rocks, then expose the surrounding rocks to a lower value, and then have the start trails. It will bring your eye more to the rider and there will be a better asymmetrical balance of value/ detail.

I actually had the rider more exposed but his white forks/stickers on helmet/ white goggles made him almost "blown out" with the flash facing him so I selected him and toned him down a bit, but I see what you're getting at!

thanks!

Posted: May 1, 2014 at 17:20 Quote
kardne wrote:
Shot for Vallasen Bike park.

Please watch it in XL-mode.

Thanks

now that is a solid picture, nice work
if you used one, where did you put your flash(s)? just curious really

Posted: May 2, 2014 at 13:40 Quote
ridinfree0freeridin wrote:
sleeping out under this beauty over easter.

slowly getting there i think?

Yes !

Posted: May 3, 2014 at 8:56 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
larsc wrote:
austinrauh wrote:
Riding away from the angry apache Indian spirits hahaha but this was one of my first experiments with star trails and foreground action thought it turned out well.
took her last night

Really nice, but you should have used an UWA, so the stars are sharp as well.
Overall, it's a really nice pic!

How would a UWA lens make the stars sharper? Rolleyes

I was looking at the exif: 50 mm 1.8, at 1.8 on fullframe. Offcourse the stars aren't in focus.
The answer on your question: the wider your lens goes, the more will be in focus. If you've ever shot stars or landscapes, you would know this by practice.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2014 at 23:52 Quote
lol you're new here, I'm no spring chicken. http://www.norcalnomad.com

Your mind goes to changing a lenses before changing an aperture. Very confused That's like saying, "oh you are having trouble in that corner, you should change tires." Yes I do know that a wider lens does give you a longer depth of field. BUT, that would also change the framing, composition, and perspective of the shot (it might make it better but you'd have to shoot it to see).

Posted: May 4, 2014 at 3:29 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
lol you're new here, I'm no spring chicken. http://www.norcalnomad.com

Your mind goes to changing a lenses before changing an aperture. Very confused That's like saying, "oh you are having trouble in that corner, you should change tires." Yes I do know that a wider lens does give you a longer depth of field. BUT, that would also change the framing, composition, and perspective of the shot (it might make it better but you'd have to shoot it to see).

ever shot stars? if you would close your aperture, the stars will be less visible... I was just saying that when using a wider lens, more will be in focus with the same aperture.

Posted: May 4, 2014 at 11:17 Quote
The focus of the rider and the focus of the stars was changed, I didn't keep the same focus point for the two pictures, after I had the forground shot I re focused for the stars, and they were very sharp, it's just after processing I was getting the zipper affect (if you've ever stacked stars you would know) and so I added a blur to make them more fluent...
If that's what you guys are getting at

O+
Posted: May 5, 2014 at 16:24 Quote
Tweak it out

Getting some weird halo type artifacts around the white (reflective) fork. Is this a lens issue... (canon f1.8 50 mm II) sensor issue (Canon Aps-C t5i), or filter issue (need a u-v filter) ....

Posted: May 5, 2014 at 21:36 Quote
chrispaulcx wrote:
Tweak it out

Getting some weird halo type artifacts around the white (reflective) fork. Is this a lens issue... (canon f1.8 50 mm II) sensor issue (Canon Aps-C t5i), or filter issue (need a u-v filter) ....

My guess is that it is a lens issue. It might be a great lens, but it's still cheap as hell and won't perform that well at f/1.8.

Edit: not "issue" but tendency. You can't expect a $110 lens to be sharp at f/1.8.

Posted: May 7, 2014 at 2:04 Quote
chrispaulcx wrote:
Tweak it out

The problem it's not with the lens but with the camera, which can't focus quickly and precisely , if you had a 1dx and the same lens this image would be sharp like a knife. The canon 50 mm L serie (1.2) it's less sharper than the 110$ 1.8.
This image was shot with your same lens and a T3i i used to prefocus manually and off the autofocus
photo

Posted: May 7, 2014 at 11:11 Quote
chrispaulcx wrote:
Tweak it out

looks out of focus to me at x-large

Posted: May 7, 2014 at 15:27 Quote
Took this about a month a go, any comments?

Up the CIC hut trail pretty epic.

O+
Posted: May 7, 2014 at 16:24 Quote
gladiax87 wrote:
chrispaulcx wrote:
Tweak it out

The problem it's not with the lens but with the camera, which can't focus quickly and precisely , if you had a 1dx and the same lens this image would be sharp like a knife. The canon 50 mm L serie (1.2) it's less sharper than the 110$ 1.8.
This image was shot with your same lens and a T3i i used to prefocus manually and off the autofocus
photo

Thanks! Yeah I did read a little bit on the auto-focus mechanisms and it seems like the higher end cameras have a much better type of auto-focus. I think it`s a good explanation to say that the focus is a touch off.

Posted: May 8, 2014 at 9:10 Quote
Anyone got any recommendations for decent photog forums to join ()apart from here! Razz )

Also wheres best to upload pics to, as fb and pinkbike both seem to kill the quality at times?

Heres one from the weekend i took - a friends grans house - she passed away after spending 70 years here, so we're trying to do a mini album as a keepsake for him to show his kids etc...

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/p235x350/10171793_10154076493995562_3563251877035818601_n.jpg

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.027122
Mobile Version of Website