photo crit thread

PB Forum :: Biking Photos
photo crit thread
Posted: Aug 18, 2015 at 5:01 Quote
Hey guys, some really awesome material in here. I started teaching myself nearly a year ago, mostly learning the hard way through trial and error. I captured a lot of images over the year which at the time I was happy with but I've becoming increasingly more critical about my composition after reading critique not only on my own work but on others over the past few weeks. The day before yesterday I made an attempt at composing something more advanced than I have before:
photo
The aim was to attempt to show contrast between the three depths in this photo but I'm dissatisfied with the intrusion of the loch (lake) on the left hand side of the photo.

More than anything I'm looking for someone to critique parts that I may not have considered, I'm trying to become more aware as I compose shots.

Posted: Sep 4, 2015 at 2:22 Quote
Last round of WC DH 2015
Hard to shot in the woods with my little 50d and stay under 1000 iso to avoid noise ....
comments, critiques and insults are good !!

O+
Posted: Sep 27, 2015 at 4:05 Quote
photo
photo

Bought my first DSLR one day, went to a race and got some snaps the next. Any tips?

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2016 at 7:04 Quote
photo

photo

few pics in the hills above whistler. would have looked better with a tripod but oh well

Posted: Jan 6, 2017 at 13:41 Quote
Photo i took at the end of last year just wanted to see what people thought of it?

Images shot for Shredder Mtb Mag s Max Attack edit

Posted: Jan 8, 2017 at 10:55 Quote
photo

Photo I shot starting off with the dslr...
Trying to get used to better composition especially with faster riding

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2017 at 9:41 Quote
BikePotato wrote:
photo

Photo I shot starting off with the dslr...
Trying to get used to better composition especially with faster riding

Great photo! Composition looks great, motion blur is fantastic. Colors seem a bit bland and under saturated imo.

Posted: Jan 25, 2017 at 18:54 Quote
Throwing down the steeze.
Requesting feedback on this photo as well. Look's pixely on pinkbike, but sharp in the 20mb .jpg I have on my desktop.
I took it on my friends t6i and was seriously impressed by the results.

Posted: Jan 26, 2017 at 15:56 Quote
siderealwall2 wrote:
Requesting feedback on this photo as well. Look's pixely on , but sharp in the 20mb .jpg I have on my desktop.
Pretty good shot for just grabbing a friends camera.
The pan was well done, the trees are nice and blurred but the rider is pretty crisp and clear. It looks like you are a touch off on the focus but that is really hard to do with pan shots and especially in low lighting like you have here.
It's a little tight for my liking, but that's definitely a personal thing so i'm not going to get into that.
The only other thing is it looks very flat, probably to do with the fact it's not your camera and I'm guessing you didn't process it at all.

Hope that was a decent critique, I'm new to this thread so I don't really know how it goes yet. tup

Posted: Jan 26, 2017 at 16:21 Quote
guancho-libre wrote:
siderealwall2 wrote:
Requesting feedback on this photo as well. Look's pixely on , but sharp in the 20mb .jpg I have on my desktop.
Pretty good shot for just grabbing a friends camera.
The pan was well done, the trees are nice and blurred but the rider is pretty crisp and clear. It looks like you are a touch off on the focus but that is really hard to do with pan shots and especially in low lighting like you have here.
It's a little tight for my liking, but that's definitely a personal thing so i'm not going to get into that.
The only other thing is it looks very flat, probably to do with the fact it's not your camera and I'm guessing you didn't process it at all.

Hope that was a decent critique, I'm new to this thread so I don't really know how it goes yet. tup
Thanks for the critique! Yeah it took me a decent 2 dozen tries to get a pan shot, this one that turned out really nice just happened to be probably the most skilled rider there. The shot was done in Manual focus, so I was a bit off between riders, only really got it spot-on in one shot. I'll open the shot up next time I find myself there again. The shot came off the camera looking really blown out and I did my best to get some color and detail back. There are 3 edit's on my computer, I think this was the closest to reality. Thanks again!

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 at 17:21 Quote
siderealwall2 wrote:
Thanks for the critique!
No worries man tup

Here are two of my favorites from this year, I know the first one is a touch noisy but any thoughts on either photo would be great

1 AM, Half drunk with a cracked Headtube, Pocket wallride from the spine to the wall/kicker
1 AM Half drunk with a cracked Headtube Pocket wallride from the spine to the wall kicker

I asked my friend if he could try and go a bit higher on this jump for a photo and like always he delivered.
Chris Morell doing what he does best

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 13:57 Quote
I've been into cameras since high school, but just started to shoot biking in the last couple years at the local Tuesday Night Race Series. My biggest struggle so far has been balancing shadows, highlights and colour correction in my post processing. Any tips would be appreciated!

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 17:24 Quote
velociraptor-clintthrust wrote:
photo
photo

Bought my first DSLR one day, went to a race and got some snaps the next. Any tips?
Keep shooting and look at photos from pros or photographers you really like. You will easily see the big differences and can start to close that gap yourself. Once you have an ok idea for the exposure triangle, composition and a bit of post processing the critiques will help you a lot more.

Also I noticed a lot of people getting skipped, or posting their photos without critiquing others work so I'm going to go back and critique older posts/people who got skipped

Posted: Feb 14, 2017 at 17:47 Quote
LouisArnoldPhotography wrote:
Photo i took at the end of last year just wanted to see what people thought of it?

Images shot for Shredder Mtb Mag s Max Attack edit
Technically a very good shot, exposure is spot on and everything looks sharp and colourfull. But I feel like you have used the smoke as the center point and haven't bothered making an interesting shot outside of that. I'm sure this was quite difficult to pull of, but without the smoke it would just be another shot of rider flying through the air with no real indication of what he is actually doing.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.066463
Mobile Version of Website