New Dobermann Custom Trials Frame! (new pic inside!)

PB Forum :: Observed Biketrials
New Dobermann Custom Trials Frame! (new pic inside!)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 20:30 Quote
Here it is guys, finally finished, its been a while in the making, but all the fabrication is done and the paint goes on tommrow then the new baby is coming home.

Basically, its a Zebdi replica as far as geometry goes. The tubing is steel instead of aluminum, and I had them install four bolt Magura specific brake mounts.

The paint will be flat black like the old Zebdis but with white lettering.

Here are some pictures of it taken not long after the last weld was made.

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 20:32 Quote
She's a beauty thats for sure! I look foreward to seeing completed pictures.

How much is this setting you back, if you dont mind me asking?

Posted: Oct 31, 2007 at 20:46 Quote
dobersteeze wrote:
She's a beauty thats for sure! I look foreward to seeing completed pictures.

How much is this setting you back, if you dont mind me asking?

$1300 and some change. Some might call it a bit excessive, but its well worth it for the amount of customization in my opinion, especially with a Norco Moment running you almost $1000 these days.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 16:28 Quote
I'm sorry how much? why would i get this doberman for 1300 when a koxx xtp is 1350 and the coust is 1100???

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 17:39 Quote
Very nice! And honestly, that price is very decent. hope tp see the build soon!

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 18:58 Quote
KOTAlexC wrote:
I'm sorry how much? why would i get this doberman for 1300 when a koxx xtp is 1350 and the coust is 1100???

Totally different style of trials for one thing, if I rode a Koxx id be on my ass in a second trying to do street style moves.

Plus I would have the thing broken into a million peices. My frame will last me forever, its made of steel and built for hard riding, it comes in at 4.9lbs, which isn't too bad at all for what its made out of.

Koxx is made out of tin foil bascially, thin aluminum that is designed to be as lite as possible but will need to be replaced after less than a season.

Lastly, can you customize a Koxx bike right down to the last detail? I may have used Zebdi geometry, but thats only because I loved my old Zebdi frame and couldn't think of a thing to change. I could have had them put any angle on any tube that I wanted to suit my riding style. With a Koxx, your riding a bike that was designed around a pro rider who more than likely is shorter or taller or bigger or smaller than you, so you are forced to adapt to their riding style.

Thats why.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 19:03 Quote
flixlee wrote:
Very nice! And honestly, that price is very decent. hope tp see the build soon!

I think the price is very reasonable for all the time and effort put into designing a one-off frame like this, the quality is second to none.

More pics to come soon, they only put on the paint today, they said they would send more today or tommrow. The build may be put off till the summer, I would hate to have that frame fully built up sitting in my bedroom waiting for the snow to melt, plus I want to make sure I can afford to get the components for this bike to do the frame justice, if I spent this much on the frame, I won't be skimping out on components thats for sure.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 19:48 Quote
If you don't mind, I'd like to see some weld detail of the head tube gusset. In my opinion, steel welds look the best! And some of the welds on my Koxx Karbon are damn ugly for such an expensive frame. I have been considering a custom steel trials frame based loosely on my PX Ghost.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 20:05 Quote
flixlee wrote:
If you don't mind, I'd like to see some weld detail of the head tube gusset. In my opinion, steel welds look the best! And some of the welds on my Koxx Karbon are damn ugly for such an expensive frame. I have been considering a custom steel trials frame based loosely on my PX Ghost.

When I get the frame in ill take some detail shots with my camera and post them up.

The Ghost is a nice frame, I have one, similar to the Zebdi. I just loved the geo of my old Zebdi, but there were a few things I didn't like, or wanted to add on. With this frame I have finally done that.

Posted: Nov 1, 2007 at 20:13 Quote
Why was this moved to the "Post your ride" section?

Can who ever moved it please put it back into the trials forum. I know technically a post about my "ride", but I think it will be most appreciated by other trials riders.

Maybe you could leave a copy here too, but if it isn't too much trouble id like to have it in the trials forum as well.

Thanks.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 9:01 Quote
looks alright, why not gussets at the head tube?
looks kinda big for a trials frame though.
post some final pics of the welds and paint when ya get it. curious minds want to see.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 10:57 Quote
nice tup

i once had a zebdi, and it's deff my favorite 26" (street/trials)bike

the seattube of this frame looks a lot longer than the seattube of the zebdi btw

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 12:43 Quote
Very nicetup . I dont think i could justify paying that much for a frame though. What tubing did they use for the frame? and 4.9lbs is actually pretty light. Average trials frames are within 4-5lbs.

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 14:29 Quote
spongebomb wrote:
nice tup

i once had a zebdi, and it's deff my favorite 26" (street/trials)bike

the seattube of this frame looks a lot longer than the seattube of the zebdi btw

I had really hard time finding all the correct geomery of the Zebdi, there is almost no info about them on the net anymore.

The guys at Dobermann were the ones who ended up finding it. I havn't had a chance to see the bike in person and its hard to tell by photos if everything is correct.

When I get it in my hands ill know if its right or not.

They sent me drawings at first with all the geometry on it but I had nothing to reference it too, I no longer have my Zebdi so I couldnt measure it.

heres the pic, maybe you could confirm it for me if you have the numbers.

photo

Posted: Nov 2, 2007 at 16:01 Quote
I'd like to see a dobermann trials frame looking more like a zoo! or an echo or a czar

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015119
Mobile Version of Website