What brakes are people running?

PB Forum :: Downhill
What brakes are people running?
Posted: May 8, 2015 at 11:03 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
FSdesignify wrote:
Was thinking some Hope E4 tech 3 or race. But they say the XTR "trails" can handle downhill and the only difference are the fins. I'd like to here from someone with REAL experience. And I don't want Zee's. Going on a trail/enduro (Banshee Rune) bike that's gonna see alot of shuttles this summer and trying to keep the weight down on this piggy

I run Hope Race E4's, and they're a brilliant brake.

Whilst I don't mind, I imagine some wouldn't like the lack of adjustment.

I quite like it. Set the bite point by pumping your pistons out, and the reach is just a 2,5mm Allen key.

The feel is my favorite thing about them. I never really feel they're underpowered, I can always lock the wheel if I wanted to.

This so much!

I've got the Hope E4 Race brakes as well and my thoughts are exactly the same. Love them! But if I had to buy them again, I'd maybe go for the Tech 3 levers - even though I love the clean look of the Race-model.

Never tried XTRs, but the XT's I tried not long ago were great. Only drawback was that they had way less feel, compared to my Hopes...

Posted: May 10, 2015 at 23:09 Quote
DippaH wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:
FSdesignify wrote:
Was thinking some Hope E4 tech 3 or race. But they say the XTR "trails" can handle downhill and the only difference are the fins. I'd like to here from someone with REAL experience. And I don't want Zee's. Going on a trail/enduro (Banshee Rune) bike that's gonna see alot of shuttles this summer and trying to keep the weight down on this piggy

I quite like it. Set the bite point by pumping your pistons out, and the reach is just a 2,5mm Allen key.

The feel is my favorite thing about them. I never really feel they're underpowered, I can always lock the wheel if I wanted to.

This so much!

I've got the Hope E4 Race brakes as well and my thoughts are exactly the same. Love them! But if I had to buy them again, I'd maybe go for the Tech 3 levers - even though I love the clean look of the Race-model.

Never tried XTRs, but the XT's I tried not long ago were great. Only drawback was that they had way less feel, compared to my Hopes...

Yeah I had the XT's on my last bike and they were ok. I have a Hope X2 race on my DJ and love it. So figuring having the same lever and a four piston caliper (e4) will be nice. I'm wondering because it will have a smaller (race) master cylinder if that would affect the braking power or modulation compared to the tech 3 levers and master cylinder? And why would you have rather gone with the tech 3 levers?

Posted: May 11, 2015 at 4:00 Quote
FSdesignify wrote:
DippaH wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:

This so much!

Yeah I had the XT's on my last bike and they were ok. I have a Hope X2 race on my DJ and love it. So figuring having the same lever and a four piston caliper (e4) will be nice. I'm wondering because it will have a smaller (race) master cylinder if that would affect the braking power or modulation compared to the tech 3 levers and master cylinder? And why would you have rather gone with the tech 3 levers?

From what I could read when I got them 1½ year ago, there shouldn't be much difference in power between the Race and Tech3 lever. I'm very happy with how powerful the brakes are with the Race levers and servicing/bleeding them is a stupid easy!

Bought the E4's after trying out a friends Scott Voltage with Hope Tech M4's. My E4's seem a bit more powerful than his, both on 203/200mm discs.

Only reason I'd consider the Tech3 levers next time would be for the option of a braided hose (my cables/hoses run underneath the downtube) and the easy bite point adjust. But there's a fair chance I'd stay with the Race still - love the clean look Smile

Posted: May 11, 2015 at 5:35 Quote
DippaH wrote:
From what I could read when I got them 1½ year ago, there shouldn't be much difference in power between the Race and Tech3 lever. I'm very happy with how powerful the brakes are with the Race levers and servicing/bleeding them is a stupid easy!

Bought the E4's after trying out a friends Scott Voltage with Hope Tech M4's. My E4's seem a bit more powerful than his, both on 203/200mm discs.

Only reason I'd consider the Tech3 levers next time would be for the option of a braided hose (my cables/hoses run underneath the downtube) and the easy bite point adjust. But there's a fair chance I'd stay with the Race still - love the clean look Smile

That's quite funny. I did the exact same. Same bike, same brakes.

I really don't have any issue with the power from the race lever. I run 180mm rotors, and they're still great.

The volume of fluid in the master cylinder won't make any difference to the power, you just need to work out whether you want to play with reach/bite point without tools.

Posted: Jun 21, 2015 at 4:27 Quote
Quick question guys.
SLX brakes ?.
Do you think I would get away with these on a Hornet ?
Or do you think I should save the pennies ?

Posted: Jun 21, 2015 at 4:34 Quote
ProfessorSchaftenberg wrote:
Quick question guys.
SLX brakes ?.

They're actually really quite powerful. I'd have no concerns running them.

Posted: Jun 21, 2015 at 4:35 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
Quick question guys.
SLX brakes ?.

Thanks MF,I was hoping you would say that tup
Can't argue with the price

O+
Posted: Jun 21, 2015 at 10:15 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
Quick question guys.
SLX brakes ?.

id just reccoment setting them up with a good pair of heat shedding rotors and pads like the icetech rotors and pads like these (my bike)
2008 Bottlerocket V2 Small with Extras

Posted: Jun 21, 2015 at 10:18 Quote
nofear259 wrote:
mini-freerider wrote:

id just reccoment setting them up with a good pair of heat shedding rotors and pads like the icetech rotors and pads like these (my bike)
2008 Bottlerocket V2 Small with Extras

Thanks mate,will keep that in mind

Posted: Jul 1, 2015 at 17:22 Quote
mini-freerider wrote:
Quick question guys.
SLX brakes ?.

What he said!

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2015 at 23:30 Quote
Anyone have any experience with avid code r's ?

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 19:54 Quote
Giladgu wrote:
Anyone have any experience with avid code r's ?

ridden my mates bike that has them quite a few times, they're quite powerful but a bit grabby. Wouldn't mind a set if they had a shorter lever

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 11:48 Quote
After trolling the Internet and various forums I'm still nome the wiser as to what brakes I should get.. Currently running hayes so it's definitely time for an upgrade. I'm fairly heavy on a tank of a bike so stopping power is key. Don't mind the less modulated feel as I am used to hayes. My price range is about £180.. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated

Posted: Jul 6, 2015 at 11:55 Quote
Is that 180 per brake or for a full set?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.025759
Mobile Version of Website