Giant XTC Comparison

Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Dec 29, 2008 at 14:52 Quote
I am in the market for a new XC Hardtail.

What is the better Deal?

NEW 2008 Giant XTC Alliance : $1300
Frame: Alliance aluminum/composite
Fork: Marzocchi MX Pro LO, 100mm w/Lockout
Shifters: SRAM X7, trigger
Front derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear derailleur: SRAM X7
Brakes: Hayes Stroker Ryde Disc, 6 Rotor
Brake levers: Hayes
Cassette: SRAM PG 970 11-34T, 9-speed
Chain: Shimano HG-73
Cranks: Race Face Ride XC, 22/32/42T
Bottom Bracket: Race Face X-Type, external
Rims: WTB Dual Duty XC, double wall
Hubs: Formula 32H Disc
Spokes: Stainless steel 14G
Tires: Kenda Small Block Eight 26 x 2.1/1.95 Folding
Handlebar: Race Face XC Low Rise, 31.8mm
Stem: Race Face XC, 6° rise
Seatpost: Race Face XC, 350x30.9mm
Saddle: WTB Silverado Race
Pedals: Shimano PD-M520


NEW 2009 Giant XTC 0 : $1400
Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum
Fork: RockShox Recon SL Air,100mm travel
Handlebar: Race Face Ride XC, 31.8mm, low rise
Stem: Race Face Ride XC, 31.8mm, 6 deg
Seatpost: Race Face Ride XC, 375x30.9mm
Saddle: WTB Silverado Race
Pedals: Crank Brothers Smarty
Shifters: Shimano SLX, Rapidfire
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore, 34.9mm, top swing
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow, long cage
Brakes: Avid Juicy 3 disc, 160F / 160R
Brake Levers: Avid Juicy 3
Cassette: Shimano HG50, 11-34T, 9SPD
Chain: Shimano HG73
Crankse:t Race Face Ride XC, 22/32/44T
Bottom Bracket: Race Face X-type, external
Rims: Mavic XM 117 Disc, 32H
Hubs: Shimano Deore, 6-bolt disc
Spokes: 14G stainless steel
Tires: Kenda Small Block 8, F:26x2.1" / R:26x1.95"

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 5:28 Quote
wow tough call ,
the 2008 as a better frame whit the alliance Carbon/Alu composition but the 2009 as better parts package IMO ,
iPefer Juicy 3 to any hayes , XT and X7 are pretty much the same.
Mavic are better than WTB rims ,
dont know about the SLX shifter tho.
i would get the 2009 , a carbon/alu alliance frame is not worth the Marzo over the RockShox , the Recon Air is very , very good. I have been running the 140mm for 2 seasons now and it's been performing great.

get the 2009

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 9:01 Quote
I weigh 250 pounds so I always have to be careful about the fork.
My first and Current bike has a Marz MZ Race, but I couldn't tune it in so I always rode lockout.
Not the best thing when there is no pressure release valve.

Is the Recon going to be able to hold my weight?

Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 17:49 Quote
whit a lot of air , yes ,i guess.
you would probably be better whit a more travel fork tho.

Mod Plus
Posted: Dec 30, 2008 at 23:57 Quote
It is sort of six of one, half a dozen of the other. They are very similar bikes that are being compared. Almost all the components are very similar in terms of price, durability, and weight. There aren't too many noticable differences. There are just a few minor things but nothing that screams pick one over the other as they are very similar bikes. I'd go with the XTC 0 for the same reasons listed above.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 0:18 Quote
RyanReid wrote:
I am in the market for a new XC Hardtail.

What is the better Deal?

NEW 2008 Giant XTC Alliance : $1300
Frame: Alliance aluminum/composite
Fork: Marzocchi MX Pro LO, 100mm w/Lockout
Shifters: SRAM X7, trigger
Front derailleur: Shimano Deore
Rear derailleur: SRAM X7
Brakes: Hayes Stroker Ryde Disc, 6 Rotor
Brake levers: Hayes
Cassette: SRAM PG 970 11-34T, 9-speed
Chain: Shimano HG-73
Cranks: Race Face Ride XC, 22/32/42T
Bottom Bracket: Race Face X-Type, external
Rims: WTB Dual Duty XC, double wall
Hubs: Formula 32H Disc
Spokes: Stainless steel 14G
Tires: Kenda Small Block Eight 26 x 2.1/1.95 Folding
Handlebar: Race Face XC Low Rise, 31.8mm
Stem: Race Face XC, 6° rise
Seatpost: Race Face XC, 350x30.9mm
Saddle: WTB Silverado Race
Pedals: Shimano PD-M520


NEW 2009 Giant XTC 0 : $1400
Frame ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum
Fork: RockShox Recon SL Air,100mm travel
Handlebar: Race Face Ride XC, 31.8mm, low rise
Stem: Race Face Ride XC, 31.8mm, 6 deg
Seatpost: Race Face Ride XC, 375x30.9mm
Saddle: WTB Silverado Race
Pedals: Crank Brothers Smarty
Shifters: Shimano SLX, Rapidfire
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore, 34.9mm, top swing
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT Shadow, long cage
Brakes: Avid Juicy 3 disc, 160F / 160R
Brake Levers: Avid Juicy 3
Cassette: Shimano HG50, 11-34T, 9SPD
Chain: Shimano HG73
Crankse:t Race Face Ride XC, 22/32/44T
Bottom Bracket: Race Face X-type, external
Rims: Mavic XM 117 Disc, 32H
Hubs: Shimano Deore, 6-bolt disc
Spokes: 14G stainless steel
Tires: Kenda Small Block 8, F:26x2.1" / R:26x1.95"
The second one. All the bolded areas are IMO, the better parts.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 11:37 Quote
What about a new 2008 Kona Kula 2-9 for $1500?

Fork: RockShox Tora Air 318 29er 80mm
Headset: TH
Crankarms: FSA Moto
Chainrings: 44/32/22
B/B: FSA MegaExo
Pedals: Shimano M505 Clipless
Chain: Shimano HG53
Freewheel: Shimano Deore (11-32, 9spd)
F/D: Shimano Deore
R/D: Shimano XT Shadow
Shifters: Shimano Deore
Handlebar; FSA XC-282A OS
Stem: FSA OS 190LX
Grips: Kona Race Light
Brakes: Hayes Stroker Trail Hydraulic V6
Brake: Levers Hayes Stroker Trail Hydraulic
Front hub: KK Disc
Rear hub: Shimano Disc M525
Spokes: DT Stainless 15g fr/14g rr
Tires: Maxxis Ignitor 29 x 2.1
Rims: Sun EQ SL 2.3 29er
Saddle: WTB Rocket V Comp
Seatpost: FSA FR270
Seat clamp: Kona Clamp

What do you think of a 29er? I ride hilly trails, but mostly urban commuting.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 11:38 Quote
I would say the 29er is your best bet then. Get some SB8's though once the ignitors wear out.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 11:40 Quote
I am liking the idea of the 29er. It makes the most sence for commuting.

They are the same for components other than the Fork and brakes.

So the Question is:

Tora or Recon?
Avid 3's or Hayes Strokers?

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 11:41 Quote
RyanReid wrote:
I am liking the idea of the 29er. It makes the most sence for commuting.

They are the same for components other than the Fork and brakes.

So the Question is:

Tora or Recon?
Avid 3's or Hayes Strokers?
Recon is better 10 times out of 10. Stroker Rydes are garbage. Juicy 3's are much better.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 11:44 Quote
If the recon is such a better fork, why get the Kona with the Tora.
The fork is a big part of the bike and I don't plan on upgrading

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 11:46 Quote
RyanReid wrote:
If the recon is such a better fork, why get the Kona with the Tora.
The fork is a big part of the bike and I don't plan on upgrading
Because the 29er platform is MUCH better suited to your needs. The Tora is decent, it's just heavy.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 13:18 Quote
It has the Hayes Stroker Trail, which are rated well on MTBR forums.
Regardless, Brakes are ther least of my worries. Those do not cos't as much as a fork.

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 13:21 Quote
RyanReid wrote:
It has the Hayes Stroker Trail, which are rated well on MTBR forums.
Regardless, Brakes are ther least of my worries. Those do not cos't as much as a fork.
Oh, those are pretty good. Very off/on, but powerful. Which bike are we talking about?

Posted: Dec 31, 2008 at 13:22 Quote
Wait, are we comparing 2 separate 29ers now?

Previous Page |

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv15 0.014442
Mobile Version of Website