GIANT AC

PB Forum :: Giant
GIANT AC
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 3, 2009 at 14:12 Quote
..I WONT TO buy giant ac for downhill..what about it?i mean how i can to use it for downhill?is it possible or not?i am not beginner but off course not proffesional rider..Big Grin thx

O+
Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 10:09 Quote
baskenbmx wrote:
..I WONT TO buy giant ac for downhill..what about it?i mean how i can to use it for downhill?is it possible or not?i am not beginner but off course not proffesional rider..Big Grin thx

If you just want to use the bike for DH and are looking to buy a older Giant then I would look at a Giant DH Team. Much better and more reliable. The AC was a good bike but they had weaknesses in the rear triangle and since the majority of them out there are aged you would be running the risk of having issues.

The Reign X is a great bike if you looking for a modern equivilent.

Posted: Feb 4, 2009 at 10:18 Quote
and i decided to buy this ac and what are u think i need it for dh and i need not a long time i need it only few month..and u mean rear shox ???yeahh?sorry man for my english

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 8:07 Quote
Just be gentle with the frame. It's an older model and isn't as strong as the current batch of Giant FR/DH frames. If it comes with the Rockshox pro-deluxe rear shock, ditch it and try to get your hands on a Fox DHX coil. If the frame is in good condition you should have no problem playing around on it for a few months, just be gentle and make sure you don't over-do what the frame is capable of. Remember, it's not a DH frame....

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 8:43 Quote
If your ridding DH just for fun and not raceing its perfectly fine my mate uses one and although not as fast has great fun on it and aint that what its all about?

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 8:45 Quote
I'm curious as to why you want an AC? I haven't heard many riders talk about that bike. I rode one for 4 seasons, and I'll tell you straight up, it kicks ass on a whole bunch of bikes on the DH/XC. I agree with mitcht, get a Fox DHX 5 if you can. The suspension design for that day wasn't overly concerned with induced pedal bob, so the DHX ProPedal will take care of some of that. And as a frame builder once again I agree, the frame COULD be fatigued, not from age, but from misuse.

Giv'er

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 9:08 Quote
I had a AC I was using for DH and FR for a while. the bike preformed great when it was not giving me problems. you will have to rebuild the bearings a lot. I did it twice last season, both time the bearings were gone beyond return. I have a Manitou swinger 4 way that was great for me. I was not easy on the bike. it never really let me down. you have to watch the rear rocker tension screws one of mine snapped. good luck! if you want any more info let me know.

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 9:17 Quote
Shoe2190 wrote:
If your ridding DH just for fun and not raceing its perfectly fine my mate uses one and although not as fast has great fun on it and aint that what its all about?

The frame is not going to know the difference between riding and racing. If you are going to break it racing, you would most definitally break it just riding.

The Giant AC is not a DH bike, I've seen many of them fail. Even if you only want it for a few months, pick up something that is not designed for "all conditions", get something that is designed for FR/DH. Not only will the geometry be much better, it will also have a better re sale and stands a much better chance of making it through your "few month" rampage.

O+
Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 10:06 Quote
racing is alot diffrent you are pushing yourself and the bike to the limit.

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 11:48 Quote
I can't speak for you, but generally when I am riding I am pushing myself to the limit. Not all the rides I go on are like that, but the majority of them are, it is how you progress. I haven't done much racing before, however I will be racing Elite this season, and I can guarantee you that my practice runs will be harder on both me and the bike than my race runs.

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 13:51 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
I can't speak for you, but generally when I am riding I am pushing myself to the limit. Not all the rides I go on are like that, but the majority of them are, it is how you progress. I haven't done much racing before, however I will be racing Elite this season, and I can guarantee you that my practice runs will be harder on both me and the bike than my race runs.

How do you get into Elite without doing many races in the past? Haha. You need points to move up...

Posted: Feb 5, 2009 at 13:57 Quote
You don't need points to move up in the NS/NB series. I'm pretty sure you only need points to move up classes on the national level and above. Even if I went to Quebec for a Quebec cup race at Bromont or wherever, I could race Elite.

There's lots of fast guys out here on the East Coast, there's just not enough of us to really play by the rules, so we sort of have our own series that is different from all the others in terms of rules. One race in NS may bring about 20-30 riders at best, with great weather and the more popular places. There's also a lot of people that only make 1-2 races a year.

All that said, there's a few guys that race in NS that have placed top ten in a few Canada Cup races, so there's no lack of talent, we just lack numbers.

Posted: Mar 4, 2009 at 19:12 Quote
Alright ive been riding my AC for about three seasons now and its still in awesome shape and works amazing. I was easy as hell on it for the first season cause i didnt know what it was going to take but this last season i took it off and did everything with it and was not easy on it. As people have said they had problems with the rear triangle but that was only the bushings and i have replaced mine once...if they wear out do not buy Giant replacement parts cause as far as im concerned it was just bad production of those...i bought after market and ive had no problems... NO it is not a true DH frame but you can seriously give some competition. As far as people saying its not fast and blah blah blah thats all bull...set it up properly and dont be jumping 20 ft to flat ground cause that will f*ck up every bike on the market eventually and dont do stair sets...those are the worst for your bikes.

Overall the ac is the jack of all trades and one of the best for the buck...i say get it but since it'll be used and aged replace those bushing and then go out and ride to your desire.

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 15:31 Quote
yeah i have an ac too how do you remove the chain ring's as i want to but a bash gurd on???

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 at 20:39 Quote
vexcom wrote:
yeah i have an ac too how do you remove the chain ring's as i want to but a bash gurd on???

you have to remove the crankset first and then take the 3rd ring off. usually a 5mm will take the set screws out. unless it is a pressed in ring it is really easy.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012854
Mobile Version of Website