Silent hubs? noisy hubs?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Silent hubs? noisy hubs?
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 22:30 Quote
hey i was wondering if there are any silent hubs out there on the market? any good/bad ones? and if there are any noisy ones too?

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 22:33 Quote
jordanviney wrote:
hey i was wondering if there are any silent hubs out there on the market? any good/bad ones? and if there are any noisy ones too?
Noisier usually means better because it means that they are machined better and have more engagement points (both very good things). There is a silent hub on the market... I'll see if I can dig it up for you. You can make most hubs silent by packing them full of heavy grease.

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 22:36 Quote
thanks,

oh and i overhauled my hubs a while back and they became silent and i didnt know why. so im guessing i packed too much grease into them. but thats ok, i like the silence.

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 22:38 Quote
jordanviney wrote:
thanks,

oh and i overhauled my hubs a while back and they became silent and i didnt know why. so im guessing i packed too much grease into them. but thats ok, i like the silence.
No such thing as too much grease unless you're getting a ton of drag!

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 23:24 Quote
what are some of the better noisy hubs for FR/DH?

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 23:26 Quote
AqueousBeef wrote:
Here you go.

I'm actually building a wheel up on one of those hubs tomorrow, there super sick, they have instant engagement which is great for slalom and trials, the only downside is the weight, like 580 grams for the rear hub

Posted: Feb 27, 2009 at 23:48 Quote
benmb1 wrote:
what are some of the better noisy hubs for FR/DH?
Hope Pro 2's. Industry 9's. Chris King. Hadley. I'd get Hopes, cost about half the price of the others. I'd get Industry 9's though if given the choice out of any of them for free.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 18:30 Quote
jordanviney wrote:

I find Most of the high end hubs are pretty noisy.

Noisy: Chris King, Hopes, Industry 9
Quiet: DT Swiss, Shimano, Mavic

You can listen to the CK hubs on youtube along with most of the other hubs.

http://www.youtube.com/v/0Y6biHbovCI

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 18:38 Quote
i like noisey hubs, they scare the hikers

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 18:40 Quote
I prefer silent hubs, noisy ones get annoying imo, if i want my wheel to be loud, ill just ducktape a pokemon card to my chainstay Razz

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 18:45 Quote
for quiet, im gonna say any free coaster.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 19:47 Quote
is there any way to make them less noisy?

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 19:51 Quote
i vaguely remember my first bike (iron horse mt400 when i was 11 or 12 having a "silent clutch" rear hub. this was 12 years ago so i have no idea what it was or if it was any good.

Posted: Feb 28, 2009 at 20:04 Quote
erik74 wrote:
for quiet, im gonna say any free coaster.
Definitely not.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.016252
Mobile Version of Website