Marzocchi 08 DJ1 - only go down an inch!

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Marzocchi 08 DJ1 - only go down an inch!
Posted: Apr 2, 2012 at 15:16 Quote
Im a novice when it comes to stripping forks, if its too dodgy looking to fix I'll just ride it stiff as it is.

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 13:02 Quote
I just did mine yesterday. Was very easy!

It's back to plush, very tuneable with air.

use a 1/4" drive short 12mm socket for the bottom nut.

my cartridge was a SrSuntour Rolleyes

Posted: Apr 7, 2012 at 13:57 Quote
icowan wrote:
I just did mine yesterday. Was very easy!

It's back to plush, very tuneable with air.

use a 1/4" drive short 12mm socket for the bottom nut.

my cartridge was a SrSuntour Rolleyes

Yep, 08 and up to 10, believe were. This is my 09 DJ1 internals.
photo

Posted: Jul 5, 2012 at 10:35 Quote
Just ordered seals and oil for my 08 DJ1. My R cart is locked up and I plan on doing the open bath modification.
Does anyone know which sockets or wrenches I will need for the rebuild? I intend on a full rebuild so I need to rip apart both legs.

Thanks.

Posted: Jul 5, 2012 at 11:50 Quote
Psoulocybe wrote:
Just ordered seals and oil for my 08 DJ1. My R cart is locked up and I plan on doing the open bath modification.
Does anyone know which sockets or wrenches I will need for the rebuild? I intend on a full rebuild so I need to rip apart both legs.

Thanks.

Im looking for these instructions too, if anyone could help us out that would be fantastic.

No experience in taking forks apart so assume you are talking to an idiot here =/

Posted: Jul 25, 2012 at 9:58 Quote
Just got her rebuilt. New Enduro seals and did the r-cart open bath mod.

Overall very easy modification. I ended up using 1/16" drill bit and 15wt. It's working splendidly.

The first drilling didn't relieve the pressure, as my piston was stuck down. The next drilling blew it all over my face. That thing was chuck full of nasty oil.
Still did the punches to ensure it doesn't float up, but it's working great. Can't believe how much better the dampening adjustment works after modifying!

Something that hasn't been mentioned is tightening the 12mm foot nut. It kept spinning the cartridge when tightening by hand, so I used my electric drill. Worked like like a champ.

Posted: Jul 25, 2012 at 12:52 Quote
The problem Im having is how to start taking the fork apart, I have no idea. Everything else I could do fine. Just need some help getting started.

Posted: Jul 25, 2012 at 13:02 Quote
Remove air from the fork.
Remove the top caps with sockets.
Remove the bottom bolts of the lowers (oil will come out, be ready to catch it.)
Pull the spring and dampening rod out.
Slide the lowers off.
Clean, do the cart mod, reassemble. I went with 160cc of fork oil in each leg... still testing to see if that works best.

Posted: Jul 25, 2012 at 14:17 Quote
Psoulocybe wrote:
Remove air from the fork.
Remove the top caps with sockets.
Remove the bottom bolts of the lowers (oil will come out, be ready to catch it.)
Pull the spring and dampening rod out.
Slide the lowers off.
Clean, do the cart mod, reassemble. I went with 160cc of fork oil in each leg... still testing to see if that works best.

Fantastic! Thank you so much.

Posted: Jul 25, 2012 at 14:25 Quote
Once you get it broken down, you'll realize what a fantastically simple fork it is.

The hardest thing you could work on would be seal replacement, but even that took me less than 10 minutes.

Posted: Dec 29, 2012 at 15:29 Quote
Hey just to add another successful conversion story.

I have a 2009 Dirt Jumper 1, same old problem with the rebound cartridge becoming super stiff.

I read all 3 of the forum threads on here and then went with the set of instructions used for a 2009 Dirt Jumper 2, these were modified from the original set Nova66 put up. They worked fine, the oil came out but didn't really squirt much, as long as you drill that bottom hole first.

I used a hand drill and a 1/16" bit ~1.8mm (all I have). I used 7.5wt oil and about 160ml, which is also the recommended quantity roughly for the other leg with the compression/air in.

First impressions are good, I've dialed the rebound down and it's nearly on the slowest setting on the adjuster but seems fine.

Posted: Aug 9, 2016 at 4:01 Quote
Don't know if anyone still uses this page but has anyone got pics of how to do the open bath to dj1 forks thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012189
Mobile Version of Website