Single Speed Downhill Bike

PB Forum :: Downhill
Single Speed Downhill Bike
Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:09 Quote
daaneel wrote:
what would be the point of single speeding a dh bike?
Less maintenance/cheaper, simpler, lighter, less clutter, for some people like me with strong legs gears are pointless. Look at how close the ratios are on a road/DH cassette. You might as well run one gear. Just my 2 cents .

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:09 Quote
shifting is not a "bitch" if you have your limits on your deraliur set up properly it should be a breeze also if you pay attention at bigger dh courses every one has a rear deraliur for a reason. to the response grow more leg muscle...... you need to be in a good physical state to race and bike any ways but lets put it this way you would not start a car in 5th gear you would go from 1 to 2 to 3 thats the same way bikes work. by running a high gear ration right out of the box you are putting unessesary tention on the chain and rear freewheel or what ever your are running. i worked as a pro mechanic for some years now i think i know what im talking about here. this is not supposed to be personal attack but a good peice of information for the question being taled about in this forum

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:11 Quote
daaneel wrote:
as i see it, light and low maintenance
EDIT:beat to it

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:13 Quote
dhrider1234567 wrote:
shifting is not a "bitch" if you have your limits on your deraliur set up properly it should be a breeze also if you pay attention at bigger dh courses every one has a rear deraliur for a reason. to the response grow more leg muscle...... you need to be in a good physical state to race and bike any ways but lets put it this way you would not start a car in 5th gear you would go from 1 to 2 to 3 thats the same way bikes work. by running a high gear ration right out of the box you are putting unessesary tention on the chain and rear freewheel or what ever your are running. i worked as a pro mechanic for some years now i think i know what im talking about here. this is not supposed to be personal attack but a good peice of information for the question being taled about in this forum
You make some good points, BUT, I'm not a pro. I don't have mechanics working on my bike 24/7. I can't afford to be breaking deraileurs all the time like I do. For me, it makes sense. Salute

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:16 Quote
dezim wrote:
daaneel wrote:

i can definitly see wat u mean with low maintenance

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:17 Quote
daaneel wrote:
dezim wrote:
daaneel wrote:

Low maintenance and cheaper are the main reasons that I'm doing it.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
daaneel wrote:
dezim wrote:

Low maintenance and cheaper are the main reasons that I'm doing it.
oh yeah lol forgot about price. def ALOT cheaper.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:20 Quote
I don't think that deraileurs on DH bikes are dumb and I don't think shifting is a hassle. I know you need gears to pedal and go faster in a DH race. I am not a racer, will do a race but i am no way competitive. I just think it is a cool simple low hassle idea for a DH/Freeride bike.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:22 Quote
asulli wrote:
I don't think that deraileurs on DH bikes are dumb and I don't think shifting is a hassle. I know you need gears to pedal and go faster in a DH race. I am not a racer, will do a race but i am no way competitive. I just think it is a cool simple low hassle idea for a DH/Freeride bike.
+1. You hit the nail on the head.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:26 Quote
I got the idea from metzger. I am buying a blindside and thinking about wich build to do and read that he had a single speed and it had never even occured to me to do that. Really a original idea.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:29 Quote
asulli wrote:
I got the idea from metzger. I am buying a blindside and thinking about wich build to do and read that he had a single speed and it had never even occured to me to do that. Really a original idea.
I was thinking about it, and then I saw that Metzger did it and it sealed the deal.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:31 Quote
I am still skeptical though because he does a lot of slopestyle and i don't.

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:32 Quote
asulli wrote:
I am still skeptical though because he does a lot of slopestyle and i don't.
I'll do it and tell you how it works. What bike would you do it to?

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:37 Quote

befor i bought this frame and built it up,t was a singlespeed

Posted: Mar 16, 2009 at 20:41 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
dhrider1234567 wrote:
i respectfully disagree with going ss on a dh bike. a dh bike is ment to be raced and to go down some of the most steep and rocky terrain which would most likely favor single speed but when you come down to a flat section your are going to want to peddle and eventully you are going to out pedal your gearing ratio. which is not favorable in a race. for free riding i would say go for it makes thing a lot less complicated but in general gearing was inovated into dh bikes for a reason
I see where your coming from, but I respectfully disagree. I never shift. Shifting is a bitch. Just grow more leg muscles so you can run a hard gear ratio.

very true i run 38:16 and i have never ran out of gear in a race.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv15 0.018625
Mobile Version of Website