My Wheel Building Guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
My Wheel Building Guide
Posted: Sep 9, 2016 at 9:04 Quote
Hi,

I'm done building my wheel set. For a first time, I'm pretty happy with the result.
Again, I may have over tightened the spokes for the rear. Tensiometer says 1250 N average on the disc side. What do you think? Should I lower the tension a bit?
I haven't enough experience to feel if it's too tight or not. And I don't have another proper wheel to compare.

By the way, the 272mm spokes did the work too for the rear wheel. So I have 64 272mm spokes.

Expecting the set to be around 1900 gr but I haven't measure.

Thank you guys for your tips ! Smile

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 11:06 Quote
Hi can anyone help me figure out the measurements of the spoke lengths I need for a Koozer XR1700 hub set being laced to a Sun UFO rims with 1 cross. Thank you for helping.

Posted: Sep 21, 2016 at 17:40 Quote
iam6yoube9 wrote:
Hi can anyone help me figure out the measurements of the spoke lengths I need for a Koozer XR1700 hub set being laced to a Sun UFO rims with 1 cross. Thank you for helping.

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator

Make sure you have the items for measuring as over the years the ERD of rims seem to vary depending on production. Follow the instructions for measuring... you can do this...

Posted: Sep 27, 2016 at 17:29 Quote
stymiecat wrote:
iam6yoube9 wrote:

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/spokelengthcalculator

Make sure you have the items for measuring as over the years the ERD of rims seem to vary depending on production. Follow the instructions for measuring... you can do this...

Dude thanks a lot for the advice. I will give it a try and I will update my progress. Thanks again.

Posted: Oct 23, 2016 at 11:51 Quote
Question? So I notice while riding my Breezer Repack, X-Fusion RL2 Fork that my front tire seems to be offset to the left side a few mm.
Does this create handling issues? Does it really matter?
Anyway, I put the wheel on my truing stand and it seems to be centered on the hub. When I mount it on the fork its actually 2 mm offset to the left.
Should i adjust it to be centered on the fork or not worry about it?

Reed . Arizona

Posted: Oct 23, 2016 at 17:07 Quote
Teznigat wrote:
Question? So I notice while riding my Breezer Repack, X-Fusion RL2 Fork that my front tire seems to be offset to the left side a few mm.
Anyway, I put the wheel on my truing stand and it seems to be centered on the hub. When I mount it on the fork its actually 2 mm offset to the left.

Reed . Arizona

If you dont have a dishing tool pop it over to the local bike shop and have them use theirs in it. I have a Park Ts 2.2 and it goes out of alignment from use every once in a while. 2mm wont make that much difference on the tail if anything.

Check your stand with a wheel that is dished as well to see it its out.

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 at 7:54 Quote
stymiecat wrote:
Teznigat wrote:

Reed . Arizona

If you dont have a dishing tool pop it over to the local bike shop and have them use theirs in it. I have a Park Ts 2.2 and it goes out of alignment from use every once in a while. 2mm wont make that much difference on the tail if anything.

Check your stand with a wheel that is dished as well to see it its out.

Roger That
Thx Stymie

Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 1:26 Quote
Hi guys, have a question i hope someone can help with.
Boost 148 hub & offset rims. in what way is building them different?
I have just bought a Santa Cruz Hightower the rear will be boost but the front will be non boost (29er forks).
I will be making a 650b & 29er wheelsets. are there any links that explain it in an idiots guide sort of way?
thanks in advance.

Cheers

Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 12:21 Quote
mattygee020671 wrote:
I have just bought a Santa Cruz Hightower the rear will be boost but the front will be non boost (29er forks).
I will be making a 650b & 29er wheelsets. are there any links that explain it in an idiots guide sort of way?
thanks in advance.

Cheers

Non-Boost fork? Interesting. My Hightower came with a 150mm Boost 29" Pike.

Which rims are you using?

Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 12:35 Quote
seraph wrote:
mattygee020671 wrote:
thanks in advance.

Cheers

Non-Boost fork? Interesting. My Hightower came with a 150mm Boost 29" Pike.

Which rims are you using?
I bought frame only. Bro deal. Got bro deal on the forks too 29ers so can handle as big a 650b tire as I can see myself needing. Thinking of light bicycle or interested in trying the ACE offset ones.

Posted: Nov 3, 2016 at 17:09 Quote
Well the frame is still symmetric so you shouldn't have to build any offset into the wheel itself. Using a regular dishing tool should net you the proper alignment.

Posted: Nov 4, 2016 at 0:16 Quote
seraph wrote:
Well the frame is still symmetric so you shouldn't have to build any offset into the wheel itself. Using a regular dishing tool should net you the proper alignment.

i might just go LB 38s again. had 0 problems.

Posted: Nov 26, 2016 at 15:20 Quote
Looking at building a new rear wheel
nukeproof generator hub
spank oozy evo trail 27.5
sapim race db spokes
halo alloy race nipples
I have looked at spoke calculators and it is coming in at 260.5 and 260.5 for spoke size.
do i need to accommodate for the length of the nipple ?

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 2:49 Quote
Haddow-B wrote:
Looking at building a new rear wheel
nukeproof generator hub
spank oozy evo trail 27.5
sapim race db spokes
halo alloy race nipples
I have looked at spoke calculators and it is coming in at 260.5 and 260.5 for spoke size.
do i need to accommodate for the length of the nipple ?

Most spoke calculators will calculate for either a 12mm or 14mm nipple. Check the FAQs of which one you used to see which size nipple it was calculating for.

Posted: Nov 27, 2016 at 15:20 Quote
I have a question guys.

I recently bought some carbon fibre rims and am unsure about nipples...I usually use brass but would like to get the. Weight of the aluminum nipples.

Am I wasting my time using them?

Any tips to successfully use aluminum nipples?

In the past they stripped on me, when using the tool to tighten.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016103
Mobile Version of Website