Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 10:48 Quote
I was under the impression that finer is better, just stocked up on primer, paint and sandpaper for doing my new fork!

Posted: Jul 13, 2014 at 11:01 Quote
It is, there are limits though. You won't want to go over 1000g until you get to flat the lacquer. It's good for polishing but not givin a key.

O+
Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 8:37 Quote
Before:
Fresh build. Swapped all my parts from the Blur LT to this new puppy. Ignore the stem Renthal Duo is KO d waiting on a replacement. Hoses need trimmed.

Raw / Waxed:
first ride after rawing the frame.

first ride after rawing the frame.

2014 Surly Instigator mkII, size L

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 7:35 Quote
is it nessessary to raw your bike when you want to re-paint it?

Posted: Jul 17, 2014 at 16:39 Quote
not at all. although i always used too.

surly looks good!

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 15:34 Quote
Just completed my son's custom 20" mountain bike. After painting the frame I sourced some nice components to make this build as awesome as I could. This included a pair of the new Kore 20" Mega wheels, Kore mega bars, Repute stem and pedals and I also ordered some Spinner Air 20 forks. Check out my album for more photos.
Completed custom bike looks amazing.
Completed bike looks amazing.

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 15:36 Quote
GWDesigns wrote:
Just completed my son's custom 20" mountain bike. After painting the frame I sourced some nice components to make this build as awesome as I could. This included a pair of the new Kore 20" Mega wheels, Kore mega bars, Repute stem and pedals and I also ordered some Spinner Air 20 forks. Check out my album for more photos.
Completed custom bike looks amazing.
Completed bike looks amazing.
That is really awesome

Posted: Jul 29, 2014 at 17:43 Quote
Son is really lucky to have a dad like you

Posted: Aug 18, 2014 at 22:43 Quote
I was going to buy some polished bars for the AM bike but thought I'd have a go at pimping the spare ones from my DH one. Good result!

Bit of paint stripper, then sandpaper and elbow grease, then finally some Autosol metal polish.

Pimp my bars

Posted: Aug 28, 2014 at 17:05 Quote
photo
My m3 that i painted with mipa waterbased auto paint with a polyurethane / acrylic blend of clear, also painted my giro cypher and clearcoated to get rid of that silly matt finish. Spring painted with one shot striping enamel as its flexible with really good adhesion.

Posted: Aug 29, 2014 at 6:11 Quote
mr-bishi wrote:
photo
My m3 that i painted with mipa waterbased auto paint with a polyurethane / acrylic blend of clear, also painted my giro cypher and clearcoated to get rid of that silly matt finish. Spring painted with one shot striping enamel as its flexible with really good adhesion.
Nice job, based in white first then use masking tape for the layout? Looks good!Salute

Posted: Aug 29, 2014 at 8:14 Quote
ye, not bad for 4 hours after work. I went for a random pattern design so that I wasn't fighting to get both sides exactly the same. silver first for the writing, white then light blue to black with a blue xirallic over it.
The helmet was a bit more fiddly but I loved the simple design of the cypher, I just don't like red but could use the red in the union jack. also a lot easier to clean with a clear over it.
But its not staying like this. over winter im changing it to purple,white and black

Stickers are poor mans paint!

Posted: Aug 29, 2014 at 8:20 Quote
That frame is a nice platform for graphics. Much harder on a frame with smaller diameter tubes on it.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017987
Mobile Version of Website