Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
Posted: Dec 1, 2014 at 20:41 Quote
The paint on those springs are to prevent Corrosion. Most shock bodies are aluminum and one of the causes of corrosion is dissimilar metals. The steel against the aluminum causes the corrosion to happen faster. The finish on the springs is to help slow this process down. It will still happen will just happen a lot slower.

Posted: Dec 1, 2014 at 23:31 Quote
USMC wrote:
The paint on those springs are to prevent Corrosion. Most shock bodies are aluminum and one of the causes of corrosion is dissimilar metals. The steel against the aluminum causes the corrosion to happen faster. The finish on the springs is to help slow this process down. It will still happen will just happen a lot slower.

Thanks! Smile

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 5:55 Quote
Now guys.

I'm not painting right now. I was going to get my demo powdercoated but not for a few months yet. It's currently white. Though the paint is really dull and mucky. What would you suggest to get it bright and shiny again? If I have to live with the white for now I at least want it looking nice.

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 6:13 Quote
Depends, you have a picture of the bike.

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 6:15 Quote
USMC wrote:
Depends, you have a picture of the bike.

Best I have for now. At work so can't take another. But it is very dull and I remember seeing one in the lbs a few years back new and it was a lot shinier.....

photo

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 6:43 Quote
The best I can recomend on that picture is to try rubbing compound or a good quality polish. rubbing compound is gritty though and could damage unprotected stripes and logos. If they are not under clear. A good quality polish and a lot of elbow work should bring the shine back into it.

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 6:47 Quote
USMC wrote:
The best I can recomend on that picture is to try rubbing compound or a good quality polish. rubbing compound is gritty though and could damage unprotected stripes and logos. If they are not under clear. A good quality polish and a lot of elbow work should bring the shine back into it.

Thanks for that!

When you say polish do you mean like a car wax polish?

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 7:24 Quote
Yes, a polish not a wax. polish has a mild cutting agent in it.

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 9:20 Quote
USMC wrote:
Yes, a polish not a wax. polish has a mild cutting agent in it.

Alright dude shall go hunt some down tomorrow. Thanks for the help Beer

Posted: Dec 2, 2014 at 12:36 Quote
Cutting compound from halfords will do it, either their own brand one in the yellow tube or some G-Techniq stuff which is more expensive but comes in more grades.

Posted: Dec 6, 2014 at 9:10 Quote
photo

Needs a better rear shock but will do for now.

photo

Better pics during the day first ride is tomorrow. Been busy and the trails are so wet most of them are closed. Driving a ways out to get to some trails I can ride tomorrow.

Posted: Dec 6, 2014 at 13:01 Quote
Love that.
Nothing else needs saying.

Posted: Dec 14, 2014 at 9:50 Quote
USMC wrote:
photo

Needs a better rear shock but will do for now.

photo

Better pics during the day first ride is tomorrow. Been busy and the trails are so wet most of them are closed. Driving a ways out to get to some trails I can ride tomorrow.

Looks like it's done professionalySmile Does your work involve painting? Or are you self learned?

Posted: Dec 14, 2014 at 12:00 Quote
I was an automotive painter for many years but left the work due to wanting to live a longer life. Most of the flame stuff I learned myself as regular automotive painting is usually just repair work and blending. Salute

Posted: Dec 16, 2014 at 8:48 Quote
Just found this thread, you'll have to excuse me for getting a bit excited. Here are some of the bikes I've painted or anodized over the years. Starting with my current ride.

My custom Demo 7 8
Specialized Demo 7
Balfa BB7
Balfa BB7
photo
Ironhores Sunday
photo
Mongoose Black Diamond
photo
Commencal supreme
photo
Specialized bighit
photo
Crescent Mjölner

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.025406
Mobile Version of Website