Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
Posted: Aug 13, 2015 at 16:26 Quote
Do you need to treat raw aluminium after removing the paint with paint stripper?

Posted: Aug 13, 2015 at 17:31 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
Do you need to treat raw aluminium after removing the paint with paint stripper?

I don't think so..I never did. All I did was wipe it down, to be sure that I got all the stripper off before steel wooling it and clear coating it raw.

Maybe a tack cloth to get rid of dust and stuff...

Posted: Aug 14, 2015 at 2:49 Quote
debonis wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:

I don't think so..I never did. All I did was wipe it down, to be sure that I got all the stripper off before steel wooling it and clear coating it raw.

What clear coat do you use?

Posted: Aug 14, 2015 at 14:56 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
debonis wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:

I jsut used a regular clearcoat in a rattle can. Brand wise, I think it was Tremclad or Rustoleum.

Posted: Aug 14, 2015 at 23:20 Quote
debonis wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:
debonis wrote:

I jsut used a regular clearcoat in a rattle can. Brand wise, I think it was Tremclad or Rustoleum.
Cool thanks! And did you use WD-40 with the steel wool? It's something we did in school to polish cut acrylic

Posted: Aug 14, 2015 at 23:48 Quote
NotDannyHart wrote:
debonis wrote:
NotDannyHart wrote:

Cool thanks! And did you use WD-40 with the steel wool? It's something we did in school to polish cut acrylic

nah. I just used super fine steel wool. It helped give a nice shine too. What's the WD-40 do?

Posted: Aug 15, 2015 at 1:29 Quote
It would do a good job of contaminating the surface and stopping the clear-coat working for sure.

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 at 13:55 Quote
So what do people on this thread think of Plasti-dip for frames?

Posted: Aug 22, 2015 at 18:52 Quote
you do realize that it IS gonna get scratched because it's a bike and after a scratch it is just a matter of weeks till it's back to the original paint?

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 0:03 Quote
I was thinking more for my commuter, but you've still got a point

2nd question: painting pedals? Is it viable, and if so what's a good process to do it.

Posted: Aug 24, 2015 at 16:01 Quote
Plasti dip is a waist of time on a bike, it will not hold up at all. As for painting pedals it's just like anything else, it's all about the prep work.

Posted: Aug 25, 2015 at 7:22 Quote
about pedals... IMO is not worth it, they require too much... remove bearings, remove pins, strip everything, they are kinda complicated to sand... and the paint job will get f*cked up the first time you lay your bike on the ground

Posted: Sep 8, 2015 at 21:05 Quote
Probably been covered, sorry for bringing it up again if that's the case, I want to redo my gambler over this winter, and have been looking into hydro dipping....anyone have any experiences with it? on mtb frames to be more specific. Looks easy and cheap to have done, just wondering how durable the finish is? Also been toying with getting it vynil wrapped, or just having it painted. Any info on dipping?

cheers

Posted: Sep 10, 2015 at 17:51 Quote
Getting something dipped I pretty cool but in order for it to have any type of durability it has to be clear coated . Vinyl wrapping is cool but most frames are a bit to intricate to wrap without having alot of seams and it would be pretty difficult. I do alot of painting and I can tell you that if you want a quality job be prepared to drop some cash or be dissatisfied.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012156
Mobile Version of Website