Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
Posted: May 2, 2016 at 12:27 Quote
USMC wrote:
dagzin wrote:
yogegoy wrote:
I just saw one question about painting a carbon bike...no answer was given, How do you for us carbon owners?

Never painted carbon so only going as a guess.. that you might have to get a carbon primer paint? Like if you were to paint plastic, you would use a plastic primer first, or the paint would just peel off..
Like I said it's only a guess
wonder if it's similar to painting fiberglass?
It should be the same since it uses gel coat in the build up.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 12:41 Quote
yogegoy wrote:
USMC wrote:
dagzin wrote:

Never painted carbon so only going as a guess.. that you might have to get a carbon primer paint? Like if you were to paint plastic, you would use a plastic primer first, or the paint would just peel off..
Like I said it's only a guess
wonder if it's similar to painting fiberglass?
It should be the same since it uses gel coat in the build up.
the like anything its going just mostly be prep work. Instead of using an etching primer a good quality primer will work.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 13:57 Quote
USMC wrote:
kranked350z wrote:
USMC wrote:
I used 600 grit wet on that fork. Spend a lot of time sanding. Dry the fork and see if any shiny spots are left. Sand until it all has a dull finish. Some area you are not going to be able to sand so well like the back side of the crown on this Pike fork. I did take a lot of time with a q-tip to make sure no dirt and grime was left in it and cleaned the whole fork with simple green. When you spray if you are going to spray

outside wet down the area prior to spraying.
I have put on my first coat of primer, once it's dry ill sand it, then apply second coat of primer, do i sand again once second coat is dry or go straight to painting it?
could have done a couple of coats of primer without sanding in-between. Wait for primer to tack up then spray another coat. You will need to sand it again before painting the fork.

So 2 to 3 coats of primer and once its nice and thick, i sand it and start painting its final colour?

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 14:06 Quote
Wouldn't you key the carbon first?
Only asking as I don't know

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 14:20 Quote
I would think so. Im not entirely sure as I have never painted carbon. I painted a carbon panel for an aircraft once but it was a hack job of just flat grey. I have painted lots of fiberglass over the years. you have to key fiberglass. If the carbon has a gloss coat on it already I imagine just scuffing that would suffice. On non painted carbon I really have no idea.

Posted: May 2, 2016 at 21:03 Quote
I'm curious on the carbon too. I'm a powdercoat kinda guy Razz
Don't think carbon is conductive so the powder won't stick plus it probably melt in oven.

Someone must know

Posted: May 3, 2016 at 5:20 Quote
http://www.todaysmotorvehicles.com/article/tmv0714-painting-carbon-fiber-challenges/ apparently the automotive industry is facing it's own issues with this magical fabric. From what I gathered is a primer base sanded until smooth and then spray the color coats on. If the carbon has a gloss finish on it sanding that finish before primer will help with adhesion. I would keep I'm mind that depending on the finish you are trying to obtain you probably will negate any weight savings from aluminum frames. You are also correct about powder coating not working as well as elctro static painting processes.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 5:58 Quote
USMC wrote:
yes sir
Also how many coats of paint and clear coat should i do.

Posted: May 5, 2016 at 6:18 Quote
As many coats of paint as needed for even coverage. 3 usually does it but depends on different factors. I usually do 3 coats of clear.

Posted: May 11, 2016 at 9:33 Quote
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to get touch up paint for a rockshox pike? I have the matte black ones.

Posted: May 11, 2016 at 9:58 Quote
willbikeleeds wrote:
Hi, does anyone know if it's possible to get touch up paint for a rockshox pike? I have the matte black ones.
Most touch up paints come in a single stage gloss coat. Might be a little luckier now with the new trend of matte paints. Not exactly sure though.

Posted: May 26, 2016 at 18:56 Quote
I'm confused. You painted that stp?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014978
Mobile Version of Website