Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 3:30 Quote
Any of you used Spray.bike spray paint/powder stuff before? Came across it on the internets and seems like a really good idea. Will be getting an old steel road frame in the next few days (bent mine at the headtube crashing into a car :/) which will most likely have fugly or scratched paint due to age and wanted to paint a frame for a while now. This seems like an easier option for a complete noob as it doesn't seem as finicky or dribbly as standard rattle can paint.

Any opinions?

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 7:11 Quote
What is bike spray paint/powder stuff?

Posted: Jun 13, 2016 at 7:39 Quote
trozei wrote:
What is bike spray paint/powder stuff?

http://spray.bike/ this stuff

Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 5:54 Quote
Im gonna paint a my frame . What would be best for marking off shapes ? I think ducktape will be too sticky and take off the paint. And masking tape seems to small . Any tips ?

Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 6:10 Quote
Haddow-B wrote:
Im gonna paint a my frame . What would be best for marking off shapes ? I think ducktape will be too sticky and take off the paint. And masking tape seems to small . Any tips ?

Lots of masking tape I would think

Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 6:34 Quote
Haddow-B wrote:

Use painter's tape, its usually blue or green. Its similar to masking tape but it has less glue so it won't peel the base layer.

Posted: Jun 26, 2016 at 12:29 Quote
No. Use automotive masking tape. It is resistant to solvents, heat, and is better overall. If your existing paint is not to be trusted, de-tack it by sticking it against your pant leg first.

Posted: Jun 27, 2016 at 9:39 Quote
Anyone ever used the spray.bike rattle can paint? Supposedly very good.

Posted: Jun 27, 2016 at 12:04 Quote
projectCustoms wrote:

Asked this a bit further up, would also be interested to hear what people think as didn't hear last time

Posted: Jun 27, 2016 at 19:08 Quote
abennett219 wrote:
projectCustoms wrote:

Asked this a bit further up, would also be interested to hear what people think as didn't hear last time

I clicked the link, and wouldn't buy it. Rattle can paint sucks for something like a bike that gets beat up.

Powdercoat ftw ! Lol.

Use automotive paint

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 2:48 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
abennett219 wrote:
projectCustoms wrote:

I clicked the link, and wouldn't buy it. Rattle can paint sucks for something like a bike that gets beat up.

Powdercoat ftw ! Lol.

Use automotive paint

Mhm I think that's the whole premise of it, its meant to be thicker and more durable than rattle can paint and is kinda a powder stuff rather than a liquid. Almost like powdercoat in a can

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 12:25 Quote
I personally wouldn't use it. You can buy automotive grade paint in a rattle can. You pay more than the stuff from an autoparts store but its worth it. I buy HOK paints in Aerosol its like $25-33 American depending on the color. For bike frames unless you have a small gun these work great for it. I like having the ability to chose my finish, Matte, Gloss, semi, With this it seems you are limited on types of finish the build looks super thick. Could change Tolerances quite a bit.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 14:11 Quote
I understand auto motive paint through a gun is superior to rattle cans as thats how i paint all my bikes although im interested in see what the spray.bike paint is like and wondered if any of you had experience with it as its marketed as more of a powder coat and supposedly needs very little prep to bond to a surface and is apparently a lot more durable than regular paint.

Posted: Jun 28, 2016 at 19:30 Quote
abennett219 wrote:
Thepureface wrote:
abennett219 wrote:

Powdercoat ftw ! Lol.

Use automotive paint

Mhm I think that's the whole premise of it, its meant to be thicker and more durable than rattle can paint and is kinda a powder stuff rather than a liquid. Almost like powdercoat in a can

No such thing as powdercoat in a can. And I doubt it's anything remotely like it. Not trying to. Come down on you but I'm pretty sure it's a liquid like all other rattles cans, not a powder. If it was a powder how would it stick?

Posted: Jun 29, 2016 at 12:38 Quote
Sounds like nothing more than a compromise to me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012834
Mobile Version of Website