Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bike Painting Guides and Pictures of Your Work
Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 12:54 Quote
It depends what paint you use surely? I use decent auto body PPG paint and can mask after 5 mins and clear it after a day, never had a problem.

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 12:58 Quote
pimpin-gimp wrote:
It depends what paint you use surely? I use decent auto body PPG paint and can mask after 5 mins and clear it after a day, never had a problem.
For sure I use PPG paint also and its never been an issue. I have run into problems with clearing after prolonged drying of the base. Adhesion issues mostly. Of course I have yet to use the new water based paints that you cut with distilled water. I Hear the black looks almost blue until its dry.

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 13:00 Quote
Not used water based yet, I've never seen anyone other than very experience people get a good finish with it and I paint so rarely now that I need all the help I can get, long live solvents! Smile

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 17:59 Quote
After the basecoat's respray window you need to sand with 800 before clearing. I've seen paint solvent pop as well as dieback from covering it with things too soon, be it stickers, tape, wax, whatever it is. Just because you've had ok luck with it doesn't mean you should promote bad practices.

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 18:04 Quote
pimpin-gimp wrote:
Not used water based yet, I've never seen anyone other than very experience people get a good finish with it and I paint so rarely now that I need all the help I can get, long live solvents! Smile
Water based base coat is mandatory where I live. We use solvent based clear coat though. The finish is fine but the water base doesn't chemically adhere as well so it's smartest to leave it to cure a day or two before beginning assembly. As an example, tightening bolts onto fresh paint can cause it to ripple away from the bolt like still water does when you drop a pebble in it.

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 18:47 Quote
Lets see how a metallic finish looks after sanding it prior to clearing it.

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 19:03 Quote
Looks fine. Everyday thing in a body shop.

photo

photo

photo

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 20:02 Quote
Why don't you two just send dick pics to each other's pm

Posted: Sep 19, 2016 at 20:32 Quote
Thepureface wrote:
Why don't you two just send dick pics to each other's pm
Want to join?

Posted: Sep 20, 2016 at 23:53 Quote
any fork/frame I've painted...I've always sanded first, feathered out any large chips, primered. fine sanding again. Then colour coats. All within a few days. Then a day later (24hrs at least) I'd sand again and then clear coat.

These are the lastest I've done...had no issues.

photo

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 at 16:03 Quote
Im working on a boba fett paint job. The only place on the island ive found to get paint is Sherwin Williams Automotive. The Auto body shops seem to get pissed off if i ask about paint or mention mtb. Anyone have experience with Sherwin Williams as far as auto paint goes?

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 at 18:16 Quote
OahuMTB wrote:
Im working on a boba fett paint job. The only place on the island ive found to get paint is Sherwin Williams Automotive. The Auto body shops seem to get pissed off if i ask about paint or mention mtb. Anyone have experience with Sherwin Williams as far as auto paint goes?

I believe they do house paints. Didn't know they made automotive paints.

They probably just want you to drop it off and pay. Try bringing them coffee or a case of beer and then asking for some info.

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 at 1:23 Quote
Yeah, there is a whole Sherwin Williams shop here that is dedicated to automotive paint.

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 at 10:29 Quote
Did you try a yp.com search for automotive finish. Sherwin Williams does have an automotive finish line but I have zero experience with it. As PPG and DuPont are the main I see around here. Just so you know though some special order colors they will only sell in certain sizes. So you may have to buy a bunch of unneeded paint just to get the colors you want. May be easier to try and use rattle cans from rustoleum and finish it with a quality clear in either matte or gloss.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018631
Mobile Version of Website