2009 Giant Glory DH vs 2009 Jamis Dakar BAM II

PB Forum :: Downhill
2009 Giant Glory DH vs 2009 Jamis Dakar BAM II
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:25 Quote
luigi wrote:
loach55 wrote:
I'm buying my first new bike this spring and I'm looking for something high-end but relatively cheap. So far I've found the Glory ($5400) and the BAM II($5100).

Opinions on each? Anyone know of any other bikes near or below the $5500 price range with similar components?

Thanks for the input guys

Just a heads up 5400 isnt really cheap thats a highend expensive bike cheap is like 1200-3500$

Keyword is high end which is what I want. I dont have 7k to go buy a Commencal or anything over-the-top like that. I do on the other hand have 5k to spend on a Giant or alike Smile

i go with the bam 11 its go amazing parts and its 400$ cheaper

high-end ≠ cheap

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:26 Quote
loach55 wrote:
luigi wrote:
loach55 wrote:
I'm buying my first new bike this spring and I'm looking for something high-end but relatively cheap. So far I've found the Glory ($5400) and the BAM II($5100).

Opinions on each? Anyone know of any other bikes near or below the $5500 price range with similar components?

Thanks for the input guys

Just a heads up 5400 isnt really cheap thats a highend expensive bike cheap is like 1200-3500$

Keyword is high end which is what I want. I dont have 7k to go buy a Commencal or anything over-the-top like that. I do on the other hand have 5k to spend on a Giant or alike Smile

Ah then i would go for the glory ive riden a couple and they are just amazing they soak up anything you throw at them and tear over rock gardens

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:29 Quote
saturnine wrote:
when did jamis get into the same league as the glory?

I have no idea, I just saw it, the specs and the price and figured it was a possibility. Its spec'd pretty similar to the Giant but then again it is a pretty new design, might be best to wait a few years for them to perfect it a bit.

And I'm not feeling waiting till August for a 2010, 4lbs is a lot but I dont really care about weight and I'm not worried about re-sale value I'm hoping to ride this bike to its grave.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:30 Quote
I still say Yeti 303.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:30 Quote
parts spec differences are negligible. the glory wins hands-down. proven suspension design vs single pivot ? and the glory looks better - and at the end of the day, that's all that really matters.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:31 Quote
Have you checked the Giant out in person yet?

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:35 Quote
srh2 wrote:

Sadly enough no. I'm still saving up and am waiting for finals to be over before I start blowing loads in bike shops Drool

Testing out the bikes is going to be important of course but there are a lot of people on this site that have ridden a lot more bikes than me, and who know a lot more about parts.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 15:42 Quote
loach55 wrote:
srh2 wrote:

Sadly enough no. I'm still saving up and am waiting for finals to be over before I start blowing loads in bike shops Drool

Testing out the bikes is going to be important of course but there are a lot of people on this site that have ridden a lot more bikes than me, and who know a lot more about parts.

I'm not trying to add to your stress here...

I do know that there are very few Glorys left. If you see one in a shop, it's most likely one of the last ones. The shop I purchased mine from got the last small for North America. Not to say that there aren't unsold smalls sitting in some bike shops (there's one at Cyclepath) Or that you are even looking for a small to begin with. Just a warning though...if you wait, you might be SOL for the 2009 Glory.

Mod Plus
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 17:05 Quote
First off, the stock ’09 Glory is rocking out of the box at 43 pounds which is respectable considering that the spec is by no means "light." I know that there is a lot of room to shave weight as Aaron’s Glory is just under 40.5 pounds and Mitch’s is well under 40. I believe it is in the 38/39 range.

Aaron’s medium Glory is 11.94 pounds with shock, ti spring, seat collar and upper/lower headset races in. I believe this is the rawed weight though without paint. However, with two pounds off of this weight that has been confirmed, it should put the 2010 model at sub 10 pounds and that is what I estimated it to weigh!

From inside the secret layer/stomping grounds.
"I have a confirmed minimum 2.0lbs shaved off the Glory DH. I have heard rumblings of more then that, but nothing I can say I am 100% confident to back up." --Aaron

There are many places where Giant can save weight on the new Glory. The first includes offering the frame in an anodized finish compared to paint. Not only is it stronger and more durable, it is a lot lighter. Just ask Aaron how much weight he shaved by rawing his frame. Also, there is no need to worry about the strength being compromised in 2010 as Giant uses a T4 and T6 heat treating on their frames. This allows them to use thinner and stronger tubes! Between a ti spring and mounting hardware, as well as aftermarket headsets being made for the Glory's headtube that will be lighter than the stock one provided by Giant, it will no doubt be a very interesting product that will now be able to capture the same competitive advantage of many other very high-end frames that are light and offer an excellent suspension platform at a price that blows the competition out of the water!

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 17:22 Quote
i havent ridden the giant glory but the jamis isnt exactly worth that price if u ask me
the screws that hold the rear triangle together gets loose pretty easily and the frame is pretty flexy

but then for the price the parts it comes with isnt bad..

if i have to choose from these two i wouldnt bother buying the bam 2 after trying it at least

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 17:38 Quote
AlCapone wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:
AlCapone wrote:
If you get a glory, wait for the 2010 model. They are 4 pounds lighter than the current ones.

4 pounds less would make it the lightest frame in existence by about half a pound. So I'm calling BS on that one. Regardless, it is anticipated to be significantly lighter.
I call BS on it too. Laurie said it, not me.

They didn't take 4 pounds off the frame, they lightened the frame and put on lighter parts. Ever thought about that?

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 18:29 Quote
srh2 wrote:
loach55 wrote:
srh2 wrote:

I'm not trying to add to your stress here...

I do know that there are very few Glorys left. If you see one in a shop, it's most likely one of the last ones. The shop I purchased mine from got the last small for North America. Not to say that there aren't unsold smalls sitting in some bike shops (there's one at Cyclepath) Or that you are even looking for a small to begin with. Just a warning though...if you wait, you might be SOL for the 2009 Glory.

Shit thanks for the heads up. I'll start emailing shops, I have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks but if one is still kickin around I'll get my parents to loan me some moolah. Thanks for the heads up

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:05 Quote
Reign89 wrote:
AlCapone wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:

4 pounds less would make it the lightest frame in existence by about half a pound. So I'm calling BS on that one. Regardless, it is anticipated to be significantly lighter.
I call BS on it too. Laurie said it, not me.

They didn't take 4 pounds off the frame, they lightened the frame and put on lighter parts. Ever thought about that?
The figure I heard was 4 lbs off the frame. Weight on parts doesn't matter as much as the frame. Who leaves anything stock anyway?

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.017473
Mobile Version of Website