2009 Giant Glory DH vs 2009 Jamis Dakar BAM II

PB Forum :: Downhill
2009 Giant Glory DH vs 2009 Jamis Dakar BAM II
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:10 Quote
if you're going to pick one of those go for the glory for sure.

if not, I would say a 303 DH or a Kona Stab.

I prefer the 303.
but I dunno.
how rough of shit do you ride?

Mod
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:12 Quote
Yeti 303 DH frame = $3500USD

Kona Stab = It's not April Fools yet!

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:13 Quote
laurie1 wrote:

you can't buy complete?

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:13 Quote
laurie1 wrote:

Hey Laurie, what the f*ck is wrong with a Stab? When the f*ck was the last time a Glory won a World Championship...twice?

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:16 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:
AlCapone wrote:
If you get a glory, wait for the 2010 model. They are 4 pounds lighter than the current ones.

4 pounds less would make it the lightest frame in existence by about half a pound. So I'm calling BS on that one. Regardless, it is anticipated to be significantly lighter.
That would mean the bike completely built is 4 pounds less than the current one completely built.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:17 Quote
TWilks wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:
AlCapone wrote:
If you get a glory, wait for the 2010 model. They are 4 pounds lighter than the current ones.

4 pounds less would make it the lightest frame in existence by about half a pound. So I'm calling BS on that one. Regardless, it is anticipated to be significantly lighter.
That would mean the bike completely built is 4 pounds less than the current one completely built.
it is BS.
they're not gonna be 4 pounds lighter.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:18 Quote
mtnbker395 wrote:
TWilks wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:

it is BS.
they're not gonna be 4 pounds lighter.
I know, but Laurie said they would be in one of the old bar threads.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:20 Quote
laurie is like a giant whore... (sorry but u got good info most of the time)

but it will be a few pounds lighter

and as for the thread... Glory all the way... Jamis have a tendancy to be weak and break

Mod
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:20 Quote
mtnbker395 wrote:
you can't buy complete?

No, the 303DH comes frame only for about $3500USD.

AlCapone wrote:
Hey Laurie, what the f*ck is wrong with a Stab? When the f*ck was the last time a Glory won a World Championship...twice?

I used to ride a Stab Primo and didn’t really have any issues with it. Nowadays, there are better bikes on the market such as the Glory DH at a fraction of the cost. I mean $5400 is a steal for a high-end, world cup caliber bike! A Stab Supreme is $6000 and the Glory has a nicer cassette and wheelset (hoops and spokes). You can’t beat the price of the Glory for what you get. They are around the same weight and both have comparable parts. Why spend more money for a frame with noticeable brake jack/squat?

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:25 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
mtnbker395 wrote:
you can't buy complete?

AlCapone wrote:

I used to ride a Stab Primo and didn’t really have any issues with it. Nowadays, there are better bikes on the market such as the Glory DH at a fraction of the cost. I mean $5400 is a steal for a high-end, world cup caliber bike! A Stab Supreme is $6000 and the Glory has a nicer cassette and wheelset (hoops and spokes). You can’t beat the price of the Glory for what you get. They are around the same weight and both have comparable parts. Why spend more money for a frame with noticeable brake jack/squat?
I agree that Kona's are slightly overpriced.
but damnn.
the reaar suspension runs like a charm.
not saying that the glory doesn't.

if I had the choice between the two I would go for the kona.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:25 Quote
laurie1 wrote:
mtnbker395 wrote:
you can't buy complete?

AlCapone wrote:

The Stab has the DOPE system which = no brake feedback. What if he likes the Stab more than the Glory? What if he likes the Jamis more than the Stab? "Better bike" is an inaccurate, subjective term. It is personal preference. List all possible options. Don't bash something because you build shrines to Giant. Fabian didn't have a problem with a Stab, just like Gee doesn't have problems riding a Commencal. Broaden your horizons.

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:31 Quote
Yeti 303... yah what they mean is the new 303R which is $4700 built! By far the best deal out there and man have I been looking for deals. It's a Yeti you can't go wrong!

http://www.yeticycles.com/#/ourrides/303R_DH/ANO._BLACK/

But they are right about the Kona Stab, proven bike with great geometry for $5500, just take some Jasper paint stripper to it. The '09 paint scheme looks like a Hawaiian flower puked on a DH bike.

http://konaworld.com/09_stabsupreme_u.cfm

Screw the 2010 bike, that's another year from now, well then agian they are right it's actually August when everything new comes out. You cant go wrong though with the parts spec for the price regardless of the misticall 4 pound diff between the '09 and twenty10 bikes.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/mountain/2271/32155/

O+
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:31 Quote
I have no experience with the jamis but I absolutely love my glory to death rides light hugs the ground just feels amazing suspension set up is very very good other then i find it has cheaper paint no complaints

Ryan

Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:33 Quote
misterpeanut wrote:
Yeti 303... yah what they mean is the new 303R which is $4700 built! By far the best deal out there and man have I been looking for deals. It's a Yeti you can't go wrong!
I was referring to the 303R. Great specs, but I'm not sure if it is a proven bike yet. You might be able to get the same performance out of a bike with a simpler design.

Mod
Posted: Mar 25, 2009 at 21:33 Quote
I wouldn't have a problem riding a Super Cycle if I was paid $100,000 a year or whatever a professional rider makes to be a sponsored athlete! You have to remember that riders do what they do to make a living. Yes, they probably love what they do so it is not considered "work" but it is still a job! There is still brake feedback on them. It is the suspension design. I rode a Brake Therapy floater on my Stab and Therapy Components was eventually commissioned by Kona to produce the DOPE system! Maestro is a far better platform in terms of pedaling ability and sucking up the bumps. A lot of Maestro/Giant riders turn Pro Pedal off as it isn't needed. I don't build shrines to Giant. They are just great at what they do and they offer it at an exceptional price point. There are a ton of people who have gone from more expensive DH bikes to riding a Glory as they know the benefits. Once you log some time on a Glory, you're sold!

I've riden both and I'd go Glory.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031440
Mobile Version of Website