Sherwood Pines Group

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Sherwood Pines Group
Posted: Jan 8, 2013 at 13:59 Quote
derbydanz wrote:
shite then lol

Ha well yeah you could say that.

Posted: Feb 17, 2013 at 10:11 Quote
Pines will never change, too much legislation and too many big wigs that would sooner see a small family ride up a fireroad on a Sunday, they bring in revenue from food and parking, they wouldn't care about a handful of people that take it serious as sport.

Posted: Feb 19, 2013 at 8:19 Quote
x-up16toddy wrote:
Pines will never change, too much legislation and too many big wigs that would sooner see a small family ride up a fireroad on a Sunday, they bring in revenue from food and parking, they wouldn't care about a handful of people that take it serious as sport.

Could not of said it better my self. You still get guys with triple clamp forks, thinking its a dh course. But its a bit flat for dh. Get your self down to Cannok so good and on my door step

Posted: Mar 4, 2013 at 10:09 Quote
Very true, went down to cannock on saturday had a good 4 hours riding and loved it.

Posted: Mar 5, 2013 at 5:17 Quote
If it's more xx orientated, guess I can go even faster on the track than before it was de modified on my Mongoose hardtail...

Posted: Jan 2, 2014 at 13:29 Quote
Haven't been to Sherwood Pines for a while as it's always been too flat but I always thought that they had made a good job of what little hills they had & at least they had a sort of freeride area that you could play on. Well I've just been today & doubt I'll be going back as they have ruined the only really half decent part there was. I liked the NS & wall rides but can see how many could hurt themselves but to completely destroy any sign of getting your wheels off the ground too is just madness. The berms do flow if ridden fast & properly but they could have been built anywhere on a slight gradient. England is so far behind Wales & Scotland in trail building it's untrue. To flatten everything just because some numptys think they can ride a bike down anything is ridiculous. Whatever happened to being responsible for your own actions? The blame culture is this country has messed with everyone's 'off' switch. I know the Forestry want families there but if it wasn't for proper mountain bikers there would be no purpose built trails in this country. Maybe everyone should have to sign a disclaimer when they arrive to avoid people trying to sue for something that quite clearly was in their control! I'm sure everyone has heard their mum & dad say 'and if he jumped off a cliff would you follow him'. When I was a kid I used to build ramps out of bricks & wood but don't think I ever tried to sue a builders merchants when I fell off. Rant over but probably only because I won't be going there again (unless things change again).

Posted: Jan 2, 2014 at 13:42 Quote
Biking-Fix wrote:
Haven't been to Sherwood Pines for a while as it's always been too flat but I always thought that they had made a good job of what little hills they had & at least they had a sort of freeride area that you could play on. Well I've just been today & doubt I'll be going back as they have ruined the only really half decent part there was. I liked the NS & wall rides but can see how many could hurt themselves but to completely destroy any sign of getting your wheels off the ground too is just madness. The berms do flow if ridden fast & properly but they could have been built anywhere on a slight gradient. England is so far behind Wales & Scotland in trail building it's untrue. To flatten everything just because some numptys think they can ride a bike down anything is ridiculous. Whatever happened to being responsible for your own actions? The blame culture is this country has messed with everyone's 'off' switch. I know the Forestry want families there but if it wasn't for proper mountain bikers there would be no purpose built trails in this country. Maybe everyone should have to sign a disclaimer when they arrive to avoid people trying to sue for something that quite clearly was in their control! I'm sure everyone has heard their mum & dad say 'and if he jumped off a cliff would you follow him'. When I was a kid I used to build ramps out of bricks & wood but don't think I ever tried to sue a builders merchants when I fell off. Rant over but probably only because I won't be going there again (unless things change again).

While I agree that the Pines has been modded beyond belief, the dh section, if you can call it that does flow quite quickly and can be tackled by most riders. Was as you say though people taking on more than they were capable of and tryin to sue the forestry commission when it went wrong.

I will admit though that it's allowed me to improve my biking and show you dont need a full on full susser to enjoy yourself. The Bike Park section isnt too bad at Pines, but I agree, something does need to be done for those who are more 'adept' and honed riders in the Pines.

Posted: Jan 4, 2014 at 7:13 Quote
Iv only got one bike a dh rig but pines us that flat I can do the red 2 times on it. Lol the old dh runs was OK but now it's just plop

O+
Posted: Jan 14, 2014 at 1:03 Quote
I went recently and couldn't find any of the old north shore! I was shocked, such a shame are the dirt jumps still there I didn't do much looking but couldn't see them!

Posted: Jan 14, 2014 at 3:30 Quote
dirt jumps are there but need some tlc the north shore was taken out because of ppl sueing them over it all the time

Posted: Jul 15, 2014 at 4:21 Quote
tankzaclover wrote:
x-up16toddy wrote:

Could not of said it better my self. You still get guys with triple clamp forks, thinking its a dh course. But its a bit flat for dh. Get your self down to Cannok so good and on my door step

Very flat I'd say lol , the nearest place for proper dh I'd say is wharncliffe.

Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 7:07 Quote
Pines has definetly got better over the last summer, so they must be doing something to improve it. There's still a hell of a long way to go.
At the beginning of the year there was no features at all and the only way to ride it was flat out. Now there is a couple of tiny drops and a rock garden appearing. Admittedly they all seem to be in locations where you are carrying no speed which seems a bit pointless to me.

I treat pines as a benchmark, I go there every 6months or so to test my fitness. Given the fact there is no technical riding its a good way of measuring fitness based on how quick you can get round.

There also not doing any other trail centres any favours at all. People think because they can ride the red route there it's ok to take their kids on the red route elsewhere. IMO the forestry commission should try standardise the route ratings to try discourage people from attempting any route they please.

Posted: Dec 22, 2014 at 12:06 Quote
Red at Thetford is a lot worse, I've been once and never again. Sherwood is not too bad
comparing to that.

Posted: Dec 23, 2014 at 10:12 Quote
Red at thetford is a joke. Now i'll confess i've crashed on the bombholes through my own stupidity, but the beast is childs play. Nice place to rag round for a bit of fitness in the evening as it's close, but not a skills challenge in any way!

Posted: Jan 26, 2015 at 11:11 Quote
Thinking about heading to Sherwood this weekend for a night ride.

Anybody any advice on where to park as I'm assuming the barriers will be locked? I've heard the dog and duck (I think) good to park at?

Also has anybody ridden the red in reverse? I read something on singletrack that said its a bit more fun and with it being dark and quiet it didn't really matter

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016688
Mobile Version of Website