What is the toughest most durable spray paint out there?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
What is the toughest most durable spray paint out there?
Previous Page |
Posted: Apr 16, 2009 at 16:04 Quote
Hey everyone, I am looking at painting my fox 40 lowers and was wondering if anyone had any insight on the best paint (brand) to use. I painted my frame last year with automotive paint and auto motive grade etching primer but the paint had no durability. This is after I had spent a week painting. I did sand it between every coat and let every coat dry for a day as well. Anyone have any luck with spray bombing?

Posted: Apr 16, 2009 at 16:11 Quote
get engine block paint its like an extra $5 a can but it is worth it

Posted: Apr 16, 2009 at 16:30 Quote
You looking for in a spray can or do you have a paint gun/airbrush?

Engine block paint comes in few colors, thats the main problem with that.

Posted: Apr 16, 2009 at 16:47 Quote
im painting my wheels on my switch with rust-oleum professional primer and paint and its looks super good and seems to preform well too!

Posted: Apr 16, 2009 at 17:58 Quote
i am painting them white. Rusto paint is shit. Ive used it in the past and in comes off when you look at it the wrong way, even after sanding , primer , sanding ...... I don't have a compressor so laying it on with a hplv gun is out of the question unfortunately. Money is not an issue as far as buying paint and there is no one in the area who is willing to paint it for me.

Posted: Apr 16, 2009 at 18:01 Quote
Enamel is pretty damn strong, since it's suppose to be supper hard for appliance use. I only did 2 coats no clear on my forks and no a chip on em.

Posted: Apr 16, 2009 at 18:02 Quote
after you sand you do make sure all the paint residue is gone right? just checking. kuz other wise the new coat would just stick to dust and flake off super fast. i have used rust-oleum and didn't even sand and its held for over a year.

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 7:09 Quote
The best luck I've had with durability was using some Rustoleum. The shine isn't quite that of an automotive grade paint but the durability is far better. I'm still of firm belief that if you want a paint job to last, then put up the money and have it sprayed professionally with a 2 part paint. The shine and the durability are far better than any spray paint and your resale isn't as effected as when you say that your frame/fork/wheelset has been rattle canned.

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 7:35 Quote
Aoutomotive engine enamel is the best. I've done a few bikes with it and it's always lasted way longer then any other type of paint. Even with only 2 coats no sanding in between.

and you can get it in lots of colours. for example...

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 7:38 Quote
erm haerite is rediculusly hard, like you can barely sand it off. i think they do a sparay can of it now aswell. But aparently its takes about 6months to go fully hard! but its touch try in like 30 mins if that. so thats only if you want to seriously abuse it. It drys within a day properly.

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 7:43 Quote
powdercoat is probably the easiest way to get a more durable coat of paint on your stuff. can be expensive to get it done though.
pretty much any bake-on paint is fairly tough

as hummeroid said engine block paint is durable, I believe duplicolor has started carrying various paints similar to that in a spray can though so check them out
its also heat resistant just in case you decide to get drunk and use your bike as firewood

rust paint is generally fairly tough... but it has a texture to it that you may not want.

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 7:54 Quote
I just finish painting my Boxxer lower. I used car mag paint. It's super strong but ou dont have to much color choice. The othe bad ting about this pait, it smell REALLY strong when you paint it, so you need a mask.

The result of my work:

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 10:47 Quote
Thanks everyone. I think I'll use the car engine paint or car mag paint with self etching primer. Poweder coating is fine for bike frames but it is the best way to weaken fork lowers due to the heat when they bake it. If the car engine paint doesnt hold up I will send the lowers to the city for a week or two and get them sprayed by a pro. By the way biker boy, what is erm haerite? I googled it but couldnt find anything on it. Thanks again!

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 10:49 Quote
ah ok didnt read the part about fork lowers.
there is also low heat powdercoat iirc... more expensive though...

Posted: Apr 17, 2009 at 15:18 Quote
Ahh my bad! It's ment to say hammerite sorry. My friend just painted his stp with it, but I don't know which type.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.015125
Mobile Version of Website