Official Kamloops thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Kamloops thread
Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 13:15 Quote
jory666 wrote:
How does the shuttle work out there? Is it first come, first serve? Do you book like the CGP? I'm thinking I might make an April or May tour out there. I'm going nuts in Calgary.
If you are using Mostly Mental Shuttles then you can either book him persoanlly and pay his hourly/daily rates. If you show up at the Kamloops Bike Ranch on days which he is there then it is a first come first sherve deal. There are few other people in town that run shuttles but only on a pre booked hourly or daily rate...with or with out a guide.

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 19:39 Quote
jory666 wrote:
How does the shuttle work out there? Is it first come, first serve? Do you book like the CGP? I'm thinking I might make an April or May tour out there. I'm going nuts in Calgary.

if youre riding the ranch, just show up and ride for 2$ a lap or 6 laps for 10$
if youre wanting to take the shuttle to harper etc. you have to book it
ranch will probably be the first spot thats dry and ready anyways

Posted: Jan 31, 2015 at 20:37 Quote
Ranch shuttles have quick turn arounds...so even if it's busy enough that you're on every other one, not bad at all. Lots of spots to session too...super easy hike to anywhere in the Ranch...no shuttle is no problem.

Posted: Feb 1, 2015 at 18:13 Quote
Haha! Right on, boys. Thx for the info.

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2015 at 0:43 Quote
loopie wrote:
Ranch shuttles have quick turn arounds...so even if it's busy enough that you're on every other one, not bad at all. Lots of spots to session too...super easy hike to anywhere in the Ranch...no shuttle is no problem.

I predict the earliest opening ever for Savona. Shuttle required(at least from town to Sav...pedal the fire road up if that's your thing)
Sit tight until Sav opens if you can....A Savona/Ranch weekend is Daily Diary entry worthy ....f*ck that, ANY time spent riding anywhere around here is a shit eatin grin experience Big Grin
Woah woah wait there. I'd LOVE to obtain some more information about riding in Savona, if you'd fancy? All I've done there was a 2 hour hike for about 15 second chute, which, though worth it, was a wee bit exhausting, so I'd like to mellow it out when going through Savona. Big or small bike, doesn't matter, I just want to see more of that place!

O+
Posted: Feb 2, 2015 at 20:17 Quote
hmm, if we didn't get the snow today I'd have said we'd be out in February! ha. Oh well.

Posted: Feb 3, 2015 at 12:04 Quote
loopie wrote:

I predict the earliest opening ever for Savona. Shuttle required(at least from town to Sav...pedal the fire road up if that's your thing)
Sit tight until Sav opens if you can....A Savona/Ranch weekend is Daily Diary entry worthy ....f*ck that, ANY time spent riding anywhere around here is a shit eatin grin experience Big Grin

Man I rode Savona on December 28, 2006. There was a bit of snow at the top, and the rest was damp dirt.

On some winters, Savona just never closes.

Posted: Feb 9, 2015 at 8:05 Quote
Myself and a couple of friends will be taking a road trip from Minnesota to Whistler this May. Our first riding stop will be in Kamloops! I have a couple of questions about the riding up there. First, will the trails be open by the end of May? Second, we will be taking a friends SUV and I will be available to shuttle my friends, but is shuttling yourself allowed? Third, where can we do some freeriding? I was wondering if the area Tippie was riding in https://www.pinkbike.com/news/blast-of-kamloops-past-brett-tippie-2014.html in this video, is this open to riding or private property? We are super stoked to ride Kamloops, especially since our DH trails in MN won't be open until we are already in Whistler, and Kamloops might be our first time riding this year!Big Grin

Posted: Feb 9, 2015 at 8:15 Quote
hawkeye2311 wrote:
Myself and a couple of friends will be taking a road trip from Minnesota to Whistler this May. Our first riding stop will be in Kamloops! I have a couple of questions about the riding up there. First, will the trails be open by the end of May? Second, we will be taking a friends SUV and I will be available to shuttle my friends, but is shuttling yourself allowed? Third, where can we do some freeriding? I was wondering if the area Tippie was riding in https://www.pinkbike.com/news/blast-of-kamloops-past-brett-tippie-2014.html in this video, is this open to riding or private property? We are super stoked to ride Kamloops, especially since our DH trails in MN won't be open until we are already in Whistler, and Kamloops might be our first time riding this year!Big Grin

Most tracks should be good to go by the end of May....except Sun Peaks.

You can shuttle yourself in an SUV to most spots.

Not sure about some of the spots in Tippy's piece... might be some private property in that area.

Posted: Feb 9, 2015 at 10:36 Quote
hawkeye2311 wrote:

Ask Brett. He is usually pretty good about answering questions. he does have a FB fan page he deals with himself. he is really good guy and really approachable.

As far as shuttling you should be ok to shuttle almost anything. with 1 vehicle and 3 people we take our turns shuttling. you have to rather trust everyone or not give to much of a shit about the vehicle. if you have multiple vehicles we drop truck and then do a recovery. there is supposedly a shuttle service (monique on here i think).

you really should do the corridor though. revelstoke, penticton, kelowna, pemberton, whistler, squamish..

O+
Posted: Feb 9, 2015 at 13:26 Quote
You could also hire out Mostly Mental Shuttles. Check him out on Facebook. He's at ranch most weekends that he's not hired as well.

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 at 7:23 Quote
At the risk of sounding like a Negative Nancy, please be aware that if you need medical services it will cost a fair bit. A trip to the ER is about $750. Cash or credit card. I know a US bloke that had to deal with this. It might be a good idea to have medical insurance.

But in May the riding WILL be awesome. There is a lot of riding on your way up depending on your route. All through SW Alberta, Kelowna way and even in the Shuswap (Rubberhead etc)

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 at 8:44 Quote
oldslalomskier wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a Negative Nancy, please be aware that if you need medical services it will cost a fair bit. A trip to the ER is about $750. Cash or credit card. I know a US bloke that had to deal with this. It might be a good idea to have medical insurance.

But in May the riding WILL be awesome. There is a lot of riding on your way up depending on your route. All through SW Alberta, Kelowna way and even in the Shuswap (Rubberhead etc)

can't you get travel insurance?

Posted: Feb 11, 2015 at 21:15 Quote
Anyone try Batch yet?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016168
Mobile Version of Website