Official Kamloops thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Kamloops thread
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 8:27 Quote
WayneParsons wrote:
That road is a touchy subject. Its all on private land. Mark my words, if people keep tearing it up it will become the next Rose Hill. There are plans (I think) to put up a locked gate and parking lot but I'm not sure. I hope that happens because to be honest, the more DH bike riders who don't want to ride into the trail head, the better.

I saw a lot of out of town riders sessioning it the other day, and I think that's where most of the destroying of the road comes from. I could be wrong though.

No doubt Wayne. The current gate that I am pretty sure the KBRA bucked up for is mangled and even the road to that point is beat. And you are right, with the road beat up like it is and the land currently for sale, its going to be shut down of this keeps up.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 8:32 Quote
WayneParsons wrote:
the more DH bike riders who don't want to ride into the trail head, the better.

Edit: i changed my mind about bothering to get into this.

If a fence goes up it is usually for everyone. land owners dont know the politics of this sport.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 8:36 Quote
Wait a second here. People actually drive the top of Rio? What is next people using the chair lift at sunpeaks?

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 8:43 Quote
By putting a locked gate across the top of Rio, it's just going to divert more people to the half-lap access through Juniper. The Juniper access will become more contentious due to the fact it's on a residential culdesac.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 8:47 Quote
Harperrider has a good point. Basically, people need to stop being selfish dicks and Rio stays. Continue being a selfish dick and bye bye Rio.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 8:51 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
Harperrider has a good point. Basically, people need to stop being selfish dicks and Rio stays. Continue being a selfish dick and bye bye Rio.

Unfortunately a lot of issues arise from out of town riders. Not all, but some. A lot of people don't care, they're here in town to ride and they're going to. Just wait a couple of weeks until Easter weekend when half of Alberta descends on Kamloops.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 9:20 Quote
harperrider wrote:
criscokid25 wrote:

Unfortunately a lot of issues arise from out of town riders. Not all, but some. A lot of people don't care, they're here in town to ride and they're going to. Just wait a couple of weeks until Easter weekend when half of Alberta descends on Kamloops.

We get the same things here. all the sudden we get a ton of moto's on trails. power outages from random drunk Albertan's hitting poles.. We also have the smae issue on a trail in Falkland. Land owners lets us use his land but there is always a group in the spring that throws garbage everywhere and tries the road when its too wet..

My point was pretty much what you are saying.. Show some respect to the land owner but also to other bike enthusiasts..

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 10:22 Quote
where are you supposes to park if not driving to the top? I rode there last year and wouldnt mind doing it again this year. We drove right to the top when we did it

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 10:24 Quote
harperrider wrote:
By putting a locked gate across the top of Rio, it's just going to divert more people to the half-lap access through Juniper. The Juniper access will become more contentious due to the fact it's on a residential culdesac.

Well you can't drive up there anymore unless you want to go through that person's yard.

Its going to be interesting to see what happens if that 154 acres of land up there (Benchlands up) sells and how it may change access to the top. In addition to the 70-something acres up top of Rose Hill that seems to have residential zoning.

Yes, it suck about what I said about blocking drivers from driving in, but look at the options. What would be better, to have it or lose it? I'd rather we be able to keep access in there. If we, as riders, can take the lead by acting responsible and teaching out of towners to do the same. Plus, that trail takes a beating and there only a small handful of people doing any sort of maintenance on it.

There are also multiple land titles that upper Rio crosses, so all it takes is one to fence it off and the upper trail is done. Then we have the yahoos up there on motos pissing everyone off.

As it stands right now, that road is a complete disaster. If I owned that land I would be very pissed.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 10:26 Quote
knapton wrote:
where are you supposes to park if not driving to the top? I rode there last year and wouldnt mind doing it again this year. We drove right to the top when we did it

Just park at the head of Scott road and Rose Hill road on either side.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 10:32 Quote
WhatAboutBob wrote:
Wait a second here. People actually drive the top of Rio? What is next people using the chair lift at sunpeaks?

Comparing unauthorized access to private land to a riding a bike park is a bit of a stretch no?

Oh, wait, that went right over my head, knowing who you are and all Wink

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 10:34 Quote
WayneParsons wrote:
WhatAboutBob wrote:

Comparing unauthorized access to private land to a riding a bike park is a bit of a stretch no?

Is Rio unauthorised now?

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 10:44 Quote
vernonjeff wrote:
WayneParsons wrote:
WhatAboutBob wrote:

Is Rio unauthorised now?

It always has been. Go talk to the land owners and see what they have to say about it. Wink

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 11:23 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
Went for pedal around Rio last night part of which was on the shuttle road to the top of Rio. The road is in terrible condition and probably best to park near Rose Hill Road and pedal in(10-15 mins even on a dh rig). If I was the land owner, I would be pissed with how messed up the road is. Spread the word and respect the land otherwise no one will be using the top of Rio.
When I pedal down that road, I always see people driving their 4x4 jalopys in there.

I say "respect the land owners!! pedal in!!", and they're like "oh sorry we didn't know!!". Perhaps there needs to be a 10x4 billboard at the gate.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 11:31 Quote
My understanding is that the road is an easement of sorts . Still doesn't mean it should get torn up

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010631
Mobile Version of Website