Official Kamloops thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Kamloops thread
O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 11:44 Quote
It is an easement but the problem is all the people driving into the fields off the side of the road, and tearing up the grass.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 12:17 Quote
uphillonly wrote:
My understanding is that the road is an easement of sorts . Still doesn't mean it should get torn up

It is but like Wayne says, people are driving all over the grasslands, around bombed out portions of the road and making it a gong show. Pedal in people or do half laps. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see some fences up after the easter rush.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 12:24 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
uphillonly wrote:
My understanding is that the road is an easement of sorts . Still doesn't mean it should get torn up

It is but like Wayne says, people are driving all over the grasslands, around bombed out portions of the road and making it a gong show. Pedal in people or do half laps. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see some fences up after the easter rush.

Half laps will create issues as well. It's private property that you have to cross through. Not to mention all the traffic on a quiet residential street. Lots of vehicles, garbage, noise. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rio closed in the next year or two.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 13:57 Quote
There is talk of getting the entrance fenced off, or some sort of gate that only allows for pedestrian/cyclist traffic through. That would be awesome. It would take some of the heat off and allow those of us on smaller bikes (or don't mind a pedal) to still access the trail from the top.

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 14:01 Quote
Those of you who are really concerned, go talk to the city and see if they can take the lead on developing a solution. As far as I know the lower half is city property so knowing them, they'd probably want a flagship trail in the town, now that Rose is gone.

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 16:31 Quote
Since this thread is active again,.... any rumours, wags or, gasp, even facts on a resurrection of the 'Boar?

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 17:10 Quote
caesarleigh wrote:
Since this thread is active again,.... any rumours, wags or, gasp, even facts on a resurrection of the 'Boar?

holy shit don't even get my hopes up!

Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 17:49 Quote
criscokid25 wrote:
caesarleigh wrote:

holy shit don't even get my hopes up!

We can keep milking Rio or someone can comment on hill readiness... So far in Vernon its wet, trails are open roads are mud over ice still..

O+
Posted: Mar 24, 2015 at 18:55 Quote
Pretty much all clear here

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 9:50 Quote
Alright guys, we need riders to stay out of the western portion of the Pineview trail network until July 1st (if not sooner).

There is a grazing lease on the other side of the main fence by the Kinder Morgan oil pipeline. Officials from KGHM and Sugarloaf are monitoring activities up there. If they see we can't manage ourselves and stay out of there we are in danger of having that shut down. I don't want to be the one to yell that the sky is falling but its real and its happening.

There are signs up saying to keep out. Please obey the rules so we can have that area to use and potential grow upon in the future. The eastern section is good to go (Mike's, Miner, etc). There has been a lot of work put in by a very small few to have this official set of trails for us to ride. Don't ruin their efforts.

Thank you.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 11:09 Quote
WayneParsons wrote:
Alright guys, we need riders to stay out of the western portion of the Pineview trail network until July 1st (if not sooner).

There is a grazing lease on the other side of the main fence by the Kinder Morgan oil pipeline. Officials from KGHM and Sugarloaf are monitoring activities up there. If they see we can't manage ourselves and stay out of there we are in danger of having that shut down. I don't want to be the one to yell that the sky is falling but its real and its happening.

There are signs up saying to keep out. Please obey the rules so we can have that area to use and potential grow upon in the future. The eastern section is good to go (Mike's, Miner, etc). There has been a lot of work put in by a very small few to have this official set of trails for us to ride. Don't ruin their efforts.

Thank you.

Has the gate been closed and locked yet?

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 11:24 Quote
Yes I think it has.

Unfortunately there are a few locals and out of towners coming to ride it regardless.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 11:26 Quote
WayneParsons wrote:
Yes I think it has.

That should help a bit. Having an open gate and a sign saying it was closed, was a little confusing to a lot of people I talked to.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 11:33 Quote
And to add to that, there are a couple of kiosks that will be put in at the bottom that will state that more clearly. Plus, the city is planning on putting in a parking lot for us.

One thing I've noticed is that locals are changing their strava user names (or creating secondary ones) and going in there anyway.

So, I REALLY hate to sound like the wet blanket but it has to be said:

1. don't drive into the Rio trail head.

2. stay out of Frolek's land.

3. stay out of the western Pineview area until the grazing is up.

If we can show that we can manage ourselves, that would go a long way to opening new territory and making current spots official.

O+
Posted: Mar 26, 2015 at 12:36 Quote
What's other names for Frolek's land?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010639
Mobile Version of Website