How do i split wood, and what do i need to do it?

PB Forum :: Trail Building
How do i split wood, and what do i need to do it?
| Next Page
Posted: May 27, 2009 at 17:08 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
ChrisHeadleand wrote:
zanginator wrote:
A log splitter! (like an axe but a bit blunter)

Seconded.. An axe will tend to get stuck where as a splitter is more of a wedge designed to push the grain apart.

You can also get splitting chissles from some hardware stores.

If you do need to use an axe get a hard wood wedge + lump hammer too.. hit with the axe then put the wedge inside and hit with the hammer. should come out nice and strait.

The only problem with most splitting mauls is the fact that they are rather large and heavy, not ideal trail tools.
ya exactly

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 17:20 Quote
if you use a normal axe, you will break the handle as soon as you try to split a bigger piece, especially if you don't have much experience. A splitting maul is the only way to go, the head is shaped like a wedge for a reason. Bring that f*cker up high and then drop your knees as you drop the axe.

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 17:51 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
kallu wrote:
Chainsaw?

Bad idea.

Depending on what type of wood you have, it will split decently straight with an axe. Something with a nice straight grain will split rather straight.

Huh. I heard that using a chainsaw worked well. What's the problem with using a chainsaw?

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 18:33 Quote
Have you had much experience with a chain saw? How do you plan on holding your pieces while cutting them in half?

And to the splitting with an axe will break the handle, how big of a piece do you expect to be splitting? As long as you hit the piece with the sharp side of the head you should be fine, assuming you've got something with a decent handle. Then again, if you are going to try to split something 3 ft long a simple axe just won't do.

Posted: May 27, 2009 at 19:11 Quote
jonbikes wrote:
Have you had much experience with a chain saw? How do you plan on holding your pieces while cutting them in half?

And to the splitting with an axe will break the handle, how big of a piece do you expect to be splitting? As long as you hit the piece with the sharp side of the head you should be fine, assuming you've got something with a decent handle. Then again, if you are going to try to split something 3 ft long a simple axe just won't do.

Well, you obviously wouldn't just cut a round with a chainsaw without somehow securing it. This is what I was talking about more like:

Posted: May 28, 2009 at 3:21 Quote
Ahhh I see. That could work well. Personally, if I had wood that split well, I'd just stick to an axe. We're bikers, doesn't have to be perfect every time, although that would work slick if you could cut it at home and then lug it in.

Posted: May 31, 2009 at 14:30 Quote
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

Well, you obviously wouldn't just cut a round with a chainsaw without somehow securing it. This is what I was talking about more like:

How would you go about doing that if there wasn't snow on the ground to keep the chain from hitting dirt and rocks?

Posted: May 31, 2009 at 14:39 Quote
prop the piece up onto logs. it doesn't have to be much, like 2-4in. if you know how to use a chainsaw and have brains, its no prob.

Posted: May 31, 2009 at 14:39 Quote
p2-kid wrote:
AMBikerJJ8 wrote:
jonbikes wrote:

How would you go about doing that if there wasn't snow on the ground to keep the chain from hitting dirt and rocks?
Dont dump your saw into the ground then... put your wood up on blocks if you're that worried about it.

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 12:37 Quote
ChrisHeadleand wrote:
zanginator wrote:
A log splitter! (like an axe but a bit blunter)

Seconded.. An axe will tend to get stuck where as a splitter is more of a wedge designed to push the grain apart.

You can also get splitting chissles from some hardware stores.

If you do need to use an axe get a hard wood wedge + lump hammer too.. hit with the axe then put the wedge inside and hit with the hammer. should come out nice and strait.

exactly what i do. start the cut with an axe, then use the wedge/hammer combo to split it.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv92 0.014406
Mobile Version of Website