Ok got this comment on my bike that the headtube will snap off?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Ok got this comment on my bike that the headtube will snap off?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 21:50 Quote
Now this is a pic of my norco manik with a new totem coil, and my girlfriends norco rampage with the 55 that came stock on my bike, does not look too far out of place maybe someone can clarify the subject?
photo
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/photo/3516/pbpic3516895.jpg

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 21:53 Quote
The steerer tube is to big for that bike the for would usually run a 1.8

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 21:55 Quote
mlamothe wrote:
Nope the totem came with 1 1/8 th

O+
Same amount of travel?...Headset is tight...you're dialed man. Sometimes bikes aren't meant for a fork with more than a specific amount of travel, as long as you don't surpass that then you'll be fine. If you do then you could potentially crack your head tube.

O+
mlamothe wrote:

you're a retard...can you not see that it is installed on his bike...ie it works.

People say that because the larger forces of long travel fork can be a lot and might take out a hardtail headtube

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 21:56 Quote
[Quote="paulmboyle"]Same amount of travel?...Headset is tight...you're dialed man.[/Quote
Pretty close. Axle to crown diff is only bout 20mm diff, but there is a .7inch diff in travle, but feels dope i must say!

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 21:58 Quote
that's my rampage with his old 55 and his new totem is perfect for him. he's a big guy very broad chested and after accounting for sag the fork fits perfect. nvm the fact that my bike originally came with a dual crown.... head tube is still there 5 years later Razz )

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 22:02 Quote
Maybe they were talking about that Norco recall that was posted up last week... Other than that theres no reason for your headtube to snap off.

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 22:04 Quote
loach55 wrote:
Maybe they were talking about that Norco recall that was posted up last week... Other than that theres no reason for your headtube to snap off.

nope and norco shore hardtails were not even included in the recall..

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 22:07 Quote
mlamothe wrote:

What???

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 22:10 Quote
irishcolin wrote:
haha thats pinkbike for you, people claiming their thoughts as truth. Your manik and rampage are designed to be freeride hardtails, for use with 160mm forks if i do remember correctly. I don't believe 20mm difference will be enough to snap your headtube, unless your quite the hucker.

The norco recall was only for the 8" travel bikes because one of the designers/welders (who is now no longer employed through norco) f*cked up super bad on the head tube link for most of those bikes. No problem with any of the hardtails i know of.
Thanks for info seriously! Looked into it a bit and just wanted sumpin beefier for my 200 lbs frame so she could have my new 55 she loved. Figure we still gotta get hers revamped for her, but she loved it, and it's hers! Just threw me off when some kids tellin me my forks gonna rip my head tube off WTF! HAHA

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 22:13 Quote
headtube does look a little raked but i wouldn't worry too much. maybe if the fork was a rigid i would worry but if it sags a little when you climb on you should be ok. i don't think the headtube angle is raked so far to the point where the forces from landing are applied in a way that would tear your headtube before compressing the fork. if it was another 20mm or so i think you may have a little more to worry about.

Posted: Jun 1, 2009 at 22:24 Quote
irishcolin wrote:
WhatAreYouNewOrSumpin wrote:
irishcolin wrote:
haha thats pinkbike for you, people claiming their thoughts as truth. Your manik and rampage are designed to be freeride hardtails, for use with 160mm forks if i do remember correctly. I don't believe 20mm difference will be enough to snap your headtube, unless your quite the hucker.

The norco recall was only for the 8" travel bikes because one of the designers/welders (who is now no longer employed through norco) f*cked up super bad on the head tube link for most of those bikes. No problem with any of the hardtails i know of.
Thanks for info seriously! Looked into it a bit and just wanted sumpin beefier for my 200 lbs frame so she could have my new 55 she loved. Figure we still gotta get hers revamped for her, but she loved it, and it's hers! Just threw me off when some kids tellin me my forks gonna rip my head tube off WTF! HAHA

That's dope man, rockshox is what's up. Tell that kid you can rip the headtube off anything with enough force. Except for demo's, those can apparently hold a mini-cooper's weight, but even then i've seen those crack.

So always clean and grease your entire bike after every ride (atleast everything that moves, like your fork seals with some super light grease) so it stays in better condition, looks better, and you'll see any cracks before its too late and your hauling ass to all of sudden skipping across the ground wondering where your bike 'peaced out' to. Rebuild it every month if your riding close to every day greasing the bolts with some water resistant grease (that blue parktool grease all bike shops have works great), ALWAYS lube your chain if you have a derailluer and torque your bolts down before every ride!
Whoaaa dude haha too much info, but thanks for head's up i will take care of it best i can free maint this year! Just your regular hardcore rider who does not want head tube snappin off in a few dayz! Thanks will take the heads up, and thaks for the info everyone!

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010112
Mobile Version of Website