Can I rebuild my Fox DHX 4.0 rear shock?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Can I rebuild my Fox DHX 4.0 rear shock?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 20:21 Quote
Hey guys I just noticed some oil leaking from where the propedal knob is located. I've rebuild a few forks so I feel comfortable messing around with seals and fluid. I was thinking of trying to rebuild this shock myself. Anyone done this before, if so can you fill me in here.

Mod
Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 20:25 Quote
Simple answer, no. Rear shocks are under pressure and require nitrogen filling and there are complex inner workings of a rear shock that aren't user serviceable. Just let the pros handle it.

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 20:26 Quote
i believe there nitrogen charged so you wont be able to do this
*beat me too itWink

Posted: Jun 29, 2009 at 22:34 Quote
Both of you are incredibly wrong.

Nitrogen charge is only on Float/Vanilla platform shocks from fox, where they dont have a "boost valve". The air pressure in the boost valve is what equates to being the nitrogen charge in the others.

HOWEVER, you will not be able to buy the seal you need to replace. Rebuilding most of a DHX isnt THAT bad, but does require some brain use. But, if you dont have the parts... then youre screwed.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 6:28 Quote
As Hummeroid said. Also, if you are looking for a guide there are some posted on mtbr and rotorburn (formerly farkin) so do a search there for DHX 5 (I know yours is a 4 but it is the same minus the bottom out). The guide isn't 100% accurate but it will give you an idea of what to expect. Really though, if you wanted you may as well try to service it yourself first and if you can't do it then send it away.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 7:50 Quote
I've got access to Nitrogen if I need to fill this thing, I've got a number of friends who work on all kinds of expensive off-road shocks (King, Fox...) so that's not a problem. I just need to find out how to get new seals and whatever other parts I need to do the rebuild.

Posted: Jun 30, 2009 at 12:46 Quote
AxionJaxon wrote:
I've got access to Nitrogen if I need to fill this thing, I've got a number of friends who work on all kinds of expensive off-road shocks (King, Fox...) so that's not a problem. I just need to find out how to get new seals and whatever other parts I need to do the rebuild.

Youre gonna have to bribe someone at fox. Call them direct, or have a shop do it that has a good relationship with them. If I remember right, its almost impossible.

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 0:04 Quote
Replacement o-rings are easy to get.

When you disassemble your shock, simply take em to a local o-ring supplier and get them sized up for new ones, i made a guide to rebuild a DHX 3/4/5 coil (and soon will have one for a DHX air)and when i just took the old ones to a supplier and got a bulk supply of new ones, cost me $15 and i have enough for about 30 rebuilds

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 9:23 Quote
Nick-M2r wrote:

When you disassemble your shock, simply take em to a local o-ring supplier and get them sized up for new ones, i made a guide to rebuild a DHX 3/4/5 coil (and soon will have one for a DHX air)and when i just took the old ones to a supplier and got a bulk supply of new ones, cost me $15 and i have enough for about 30 rebuilds

Do you have a link to the guide you made?

Posted: Jul 1, 2009 at 20:44 Quote
AxionJaxon wrote:
Nick-M2r wrote:

Do you have a link to the guide you made?

Sure do, its been stickyed at the top of the mechanic forum

Make sure you read it throughly before working on the shock

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 at 6:34 Quote
Nick's guide was the one i eluded to in my first post. Thanks for posting it up Nick.

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 at 11:43 Quote
Very cool! thanks

Posted: Jul 2, 2009 at 11:53 Quote
AS far as other bushings and seals go; you may find an aftermarket company that makes seals. Tech-Syn is what I use in my fox snomobile shocks. Tough to find new shafts/rods though!!!

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 at 21:32 Quote
i have a fox dhx 5.0 and the rod shaft broke any body no were to get a new one or used. just got the bike and it must have been out of ajustment spent my lawnmowing money on it please help my dads pissed

Posted: Sep 12, 2011 at 22:35 Quote
Yes you can rebuild it, i have rebuilt a dhx5air, but never rebuilt a dhx coil, but there are tutorials online and pretty straightforward

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014780
Mobile Version of Website