Fox DHX 3/4/5 Coil - Oil and o-ring replacement guide

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fox DHX 3/4/5 Coil - Oil and o-ring replacement guide
O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2014 at 16:17 Quote
Do you have a set of digital calipers, the proper shim-stack spec sheet and a assortment of spare shims?

If not then you'll be decently challenged. Keep in mind that the stack height has influence on all the low-speed porting....

Posted: Mar 12, 2014 at 19:15 Quote
serjo73 wrote:
z-man wrote:
Well, if you ever want that shock running like it's supposed to, it's probably time to give up and send it in

why? is this impossible to recognize the shims and put them in the right order...

sending it's the easiest way.

Im Agreeing with Z-man here, send it in to get it working You have already failed though your desire to learn is commendable and learn you should.

Pro Tip #1: ALWAYS take pictures of the Dis-assemble process, makes it much more easy than trying to go off of memory. Also, know what your getting into BEFORE you start.
Salute

Posted: Mar 13, 2014 at 14:05 Quote
d madnnes and z-man thank u for your feedbacks!

digital calipers - checked
spare shims - checked
proper shim-stack spec sheet and a assortment of spare shims - that is the reason for the post here

made a couple mistakes I have Smile )) but nothing unrecoverable

about the pictures - fail for a reason, about the knowledge - didn't meant to re-shim the shock only seals and oil replacement that go wrong .. Smile ( all other shocks came just right ) only my personal one failed

I'm a bike mechanic so I have another pair of bikes to ride while the demo is resting, time isn't matter...

if someone else have help-full advise or can point me to some other source I'll be glad ))

LEARN I SHOULD! Big Grin

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 11:42 Quote
hi, i was just wondering if anyone could help. im servicing my fox dhx 5 2005 model and when i tried to undo the top cap the it un did the main body apart and now i cant get the top cap off. any ideas on what to do, any advice or help welcome????

this may help you too understand https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10861332/

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 12:37 Quote
You need a set of shock clamps.

Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 13:44 Quote
elaborate please? lol, im new to this. picture or something please

O+
Posted: Apr 22, 2014 at 15:40 Quote
Well i think its about time to admit defeat then.

Send it in!

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 0:43 Quote
Think of it as a handle bar clamp but usually u put in a vice with the clamp and it clamps on the shock body with just enough force that it grips it
But does not damage it
For the price of getting a seal head say 10-15£
And a bottle of oil £10
Then the ball ache of haveing to make sure no air and it's bled properly would have been easier to give someone
£50 to service it there was some people in the buy now section that advertise it

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:18 Quote
maybe your right but i serviced my air shock and saved a bunch of money so i thought id give this ago. just my only concern was not damaging the shock body, so would you kind of have two half's of wood with a semi circle on each side which is the same size as what i'm trying to grip, then put it in the vice. is that right?

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 1:59 Quote
*Cough* check my profile *cough*

I have all the necessary tools/knowledge to service that for you and considerably cheaper than anywhere else... but other service centres are available.

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 2:13 Quote
Hi mate, that is good, and I will keep ou in mind but at the moment I just want to have a go myself. And I already have the kit just need that one thing doing. However do
You service marzocchi 55r forks, mine seam to nt perform right at all. Eg only using about 40mm of travel out of the whole 180mm

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 2:19 Quote
JackGrylls wrote:
Hi mate, that is good, and I will keep ou in mind but at the moment I just want to have a go myself. And I already have the kit just need that one thing doing. However do
You service marzocchi 55r forks, mine seam to nt perform right at all. Eg only using about 40mm of travel out of the whole 180mm

Yeah thats a pretty common that im well versed in fixing, PM me to discuss a service.

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 3:59 Quote
And turtlesauce2000
Serviced my shock for my nice easy transaction and great service

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 5:52 Quote
twell were talking about fork service now as i am doing the shock myself, amnyway back on topic, i managed to di it with this fancy rig HAHAHAHA!

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10864174/

https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/10864173/

Posted: Apr 23, 2014 at 17:46 Quote
You can make a shock clamp easy. Red rubber sheet for $5, a bench vise and some wood for blocking. in order to service your own shock you must also know the differences between too much force, not enough and just right and be honest with yourself, not everybody has the ability to do mechanical works.

Salute

yowza, just checked out your vice.. looks ghetto, vice grips should never be used on anything... ever... but glad it worked out for you. Smile

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011801
Mobile Version of Website