How to Get a Stuck Torx Bolt Out???

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
How to Get a Stuck Torx Bolt Out???
Previous Page |
Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 3:03 Quote
hi
ive swapped my brakes and am now trying to get the old rotors off but about 3 torx screws have been tightened and wont come off.
i dont want to round off the bolt though so please help!!!

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 3:13 Quote
use a little hack saw. cut a groove to use a normal screwdriver. i did it when i was changing one of my rotors. works a treat.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 3:16 Quote
kk ill try that

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 4:42 Quote
Okay what I did was take the next size up in the torx wrench and hammer it into the screw. The screws are garbage metal, and will give a bit. So the torx wrench wont get recked. Then just take a pair of plyers and yank them out.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 4:44 Quote
bikerkid13 wrote:
Okay what I did was take the next size up in the torx wrench and hammer it into the screw. The screws are garbage metal, and will give a bit. So the torx wrench wont get recked. Then just take a pair of plyers and yank them out.

thats is what i did worked a treat tup

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 5:18 Quote
alternatively, you can hammer a slightly larger sized allen key into the torx hole, it will then fit really tight and you can then clamp a nice 1ft adjustable wrench onto the allen key and anything will come un-done, just be sure to use 1 hand to really firmly hold the tool at the centre of rotation whenever undoing any tight bolts as this will properly centre the torque forces and stop the tool jumping off the bolt.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 6:45 Quote
ive given up for now , tryed all you've said and it hasnt worked
i will try hitting it harder in a bit
any other suggestions

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 6:51 Quote
if you can, drill into the bolt, then they either fall out, or just get a pair of mole-grips or something, then they come out really easy

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 6:52 Quote
i got a chisel and made a grove in the bolt head then hit the chisle roung the bolt until it come loose

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 7:01 Quote
heat it up with a blow torch, couldnt get one of my bearings out of my frame so we wacked the blow torch out and it worked.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 7:33 Quote
its gone and rounded off now so anyother clues??

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 7:39 Quote
you may have to use an easy out.

here's how to do it: http://www.crustyquinns.com/tech/easyout.html

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 7:51 Quote
I had the same problem. I used a good set of mole-grips, just clamped them on good and tight and it was easy. I think i had to use the smaller size to get in around the bolt.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 7:53 Quote
Either small(sharp edged, not worn out) Vise-Grips(actual brand, not immitators), grab it from the side, or if you have a dremel tool, with a cut-off blade, shave two opposite side flats, so a small wrench will fit it.

Also, try spraying some PB-Blaster on them and letting them soak a while first.

Posted: Aug 1, 2009 at 9:50 Quote
Drill them. Use a 7/32" or 5.5mm drill bit. This is bigger than the shank of the bolt, so as soon as you get through the head, it will pop off. Stop there, so that when you take off the rotor, you have something left to grab onto. Take those out with pliers or vise(mole)grips. A larger drill will also work, but then you really need to stop right away as soon as the head comes off, or you will drill your rotor out to a bigger hole size, which would not be good.

Key to drilling is not to let the drill spin too fast. Spinning the drill just dulls it. You need to use lower rpms and push a little, that way the drill will bite in and really cut.

In some cases, there will be locktite, and the little stubs you have left will be tough to remove. Use heat. Even holding a bick lighter or something on the stub will do the trick. Stay away from torches or bigger fire unless you really know what you're up to, as you may melt some bearing seals or something if it all gets hot.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv16 0.015862
Mobile Version of Website