Who else thinks mountain biking should be in the x games?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Who else thinks mountain biking should be in the x games?
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 21:22 Quote
I think Slopestyle would be cool in the X games. It would be allot of publicity which some of you said would be a negative but I think it might put some extra money and public awareness into the sport. It might also push the idea of lift access riding into the minds of the few people that can make it happen. Plus I would like to see Cam McCaul ride the mega ramp.:P

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 21:27 Quote
kakah wrote:
Who cares.

Look at the gong show they call the X-games, what a joke. And I'm not talking about just the the moto events either, I mean the whole thing. I remember watching biking in both the summer and winter (WTF, how stupid can they make it look!?) X-Games and even though I was just a kid at the time I still knew it was absolutely retarded. We don't need that bull****. Obviously those events were not world cup DH races, but one of the issues is that as soon as an event gets that sort of coverage it starts to be more about the coverage than the event! We have a great thing going with our sport, we all do it regardless of how cool/great/gnarly the general public thinks it is.

As great as we think our sport is it will NEVER be spoken in the same breath as other major league sports by the average viewer, and I really like that fact. That fact alone gives us identity. I for one hope I never ever turn on the tele and see a load of mountain bike programing.

I disagree, there is nothing but crap on TV these days. I don't even watch TV anymore but it would be convenient if I could get my MTB viewing pleasure fix from the TV too and not just PB.

Mod
Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 21:33 Quote
x6thgearwideopen wrote:
kakah wrote:
Who cares.

Look at the gong show they call the X-games, what a joke. And I'm not talking about just the the moto events either, I mean the whole thing. I remember watching biking in both the summer and winter (WTF, how stupid can they make it look!?) X-Games and even though I was just a kid at the time I still knew it was absolutely retarded. We don't need that bull****. Obviously those events were not world cup DH races, but one of the issues is that as soon as an event gets that sort of coverage it starts to be more about the coverage than the event! We have a great thing going with our sport, we all do it regardless of how cool/great/gnarly the general public thinks it is.

As great as we think our sport is it will NEVER be spoken in the same breath as other major league sports by the average viewer, and I really like that fact. That fact alone gives us identity. I for one hope I never ever turn on the tele and see a load of mountain bike programing.

I disagree, there is nothing but crap on TV these days. I don't even watch TV anymore but it would be convenient if I could get my MTB viewing pleasure fix from the TV too and not just PB.

Well, you got one thing right with the "nothing but crap on TV". Reading is the new TV, start now!

Do you think you would turn on the TV and see Collective/Earthed/Freecaster (hell even Kranked!) quality footage?! It does not work that way. The reason most MTB vids and race coverage is so great is because the people behind it are people involved in the sport. Don't think for one minute that the people on ESPN, Fox, or Fuel will ever be able to have a product like this.

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 21:40 Quote
kakah wrote:
x6thgearwideopen wrote:
kakah wrote:
Who cares.

Well, you got one thing right with the "nothing but crap on TV". Reading is the new TV, start now!

Do you think you would turn on the TV and see Collective/Earthed/Freecaster (hell even Kranked!) quality footage?! It does not work that way. The reason most MTB vids and race coverage is so great is because the people behind it are people involved in the sport. Don't think for one minute that the people on ESPN, Fox, or Fuel will ever be able to have a product like this.
I see where you are coming from but I personally would like to watch crappy TV mtb coverage in addition to what I get from the internet. I think being able to watch smaller races, local races, would be really cool. Even collegiate races from the way northeast and out west would be awesome to watch. I would rather root for a colleges MTB Club than their football team.

Posted: Aug 3, 2009 at 22:29 Quote
MTB's have their own niche group and that is the way it should probably stay. As far as the double front flip not winning big air that wasn't crappy judging he didn't do a trick on the quarter pipe. If he would have done a 540 or even a no hander he probably would have won with that double front flip.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 13:36 Quote
Look its easy for all of the Canadians in this thread to say no to this idea cuz Crankworks is a normal event to them. Im from the Inland Empire In SOCAL and we have no following here. In other words Mountainbiking is not the thing people do here. Everyone here rides Dirt bikes. Im just saying anything positive for the sport would be well apreciated to me and other riders in SOCAL. I cant say Oh I fell like riding the lifts today. Nope I have to walk my ass up a hill or ride XC trails.

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 13:47 Quote
socalshreder wrote:
Look its easy for all of the Canadians in this thread to say no to this idea cuz Crankworks is a normal event to them. Im from the Inland Empire In SOCAL and we have no following here. In other words Mountainbiking is not the thing people do here. Everyone here rides Dirt bikes. Im just saying anything positive for the sport would be well apreciated to me and other riders in SOCAL. I cant say Oh I fell like riding the lifts today. Nope I have to walk my ass up a hill or ride XC trails.

you're not the only one.

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 17:47 Quote
socalshreder wrote:

dude i live like 40 hours from Whistler. there arnt that many places anywhere with lift access. im atleast 1 hour form any lift access and i have to walk up hills. thats what comes with mountain biking. there arent many mtbikers anywhere but thats whats awesome about it, becusae its only people who really love it. not little snottty kids who are following the latest trend. if mtb went to the x games, it would just become a trend like skateboarding and the percentage of people who truly love the sport would be alot lower. right now it is mainly passionate people riding and i love it that way.

Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 18:21 Quote
bathman wrote:
socalshreder wrote:

dude i live like 40 hours from Whistler. there arnt that many places anywhere with lift access. im atleast 1 hour form any lift access and i have to walk up hills. thats what comes with mountain biking. there arent many mtbikers anywhere but thats whats awesome about it, becusae its only people who really love it. not little snottty kids who are following the latest trend. if mtb went to the x games, it would just become a trend like skateboarding and the percentage of people who truly love the sport would be alot lower. right now it is mainly passionate people riding and i love it that way.

i live 2.5hrs away from the closest hill that will open their lifts in the summer, but i do live near some kickass clay pits that are great for riding but have to many dirt bike a*sholes who ruin anything you build.

O+
Posted: Aug 4, 2009 at 18:48 Quote
I live at least 6 or 7 hrs probally even more form the closes lift acess mountain that has an actual bike park(Mammoth) or even lets DH bikes ride. So dont pole that bs with me. I usually have to build my own stuff but they usually get ruined by Dirt bikes or just get torn down by the city. We don't have the huge follwing like in Canada. Im not trying to diss evryerone in Canada. Just cant have them speaking for the world of mountainbikers cuz its ruffer in SOCAL for mtbs. Yeah X Games might be bad for Mountainbikng but it could bring the popularity up in SOCAL. Throwing out a diffrent view point!

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011646
Mobile Version of Website