Riding with a broken wrist

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Riding with a broken wrist
  • Previous Page
Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 1:11 Quote
I am going to whistler and i will be riding 5 weeks after a wrist fracture. Doc said 6-8 weeks to healed. Want to know if anyone has any tips on supporting it or if anyone has ridin in a cast and can tell me what to expect.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 2:21 Quote
just broke my wrist but so ive been looking at what ill need once i get back on the bike.

My advice is to get a brace from www.allsportdynamics.com if u can afford, or EVS or 661 wrist guard if u cant.

Dont put ur wrist in jeopardy as they are what holds u to the bike so u can ride long-term. Think long term.

And also dont fall Wink

Hope that helps.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 3:19 Quote
sorry mate thats not a good i dea i dont no how bad urs was but when i did it snow bording when i got the cast off the doc said no sport for 3 months and no biking for 6 natualy i got on my bike as soon as i got home but my wrist after a year still isent as strong as the other and also there is some perminent damage as i can no longer twist my wrist as far as i can with the other one making it feel tentiond

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 15:35 Quote
The doctor said he would form my cast around a grip for me but just wanted to see if anyone had done this and had any tips or problems they ran into

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 15:47 Quote
asulli wrote:
The doctor said he would form my cast around a grip for me but just wanted to see if anyone had done this and had any tips or problems they ran into

you have an awesome doctor...

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 16:01 Quote
fortune wrote:
asulli wrote:

you have an awesome doctor...

+1

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 16:04 Quote
ive had a broken wrist for 2 months tried biking once and havent since.Myy doctor said if i can bike do it.
Ur doc sounds pretty sweet making a custom cast for u

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 16:08 Quote
I am a health care professional. I work with fractures ALOT. First off it depends on the severity of the break. I had a pretty clean simple fracture last year and I rode on it regularly one it was casted. My surgeon had his cast tech form a cast for me so I could ride with it on. First off, take it easy, for the first week I was just on the road bike, week 2 I was doing light trail riding. By week 4 I was on my DH bike. Week 5-6 I was riding regularly DH with gaps drops and whatever else.

Ice, Ibuprophen and elevating the break will help you recover......it really does. Also if you smoke it will delay your healing alot.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 16:09 Quote
freddiehunter wrote:
sorry mate thats not a good i dea i dont no how bad urs was but when i did it snow bording when i got the cast off the doc said no sport for 3 months and no biking for 6 natualy i got on my bike as soon as i got home but my wrist after a year still isent as strong as the other and also there is some perminent damage as i can no longer twist my wrist as far as i can with the other one making it feel tentiond
X2 Exact same thing happened to me and same exact after effects

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 17:48 Quote
Thanks for the tips. I will be a week 5 at the start of my trip so I'm hoping for the best.You were doing DH stuff at 5 so that makes me feel more confident How was your Grip? and how was it braking? Any other tips about how the cast should be made?

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 19:48 Quote
No tips for braking. I can tell you that after the cast came of I bought A brace at safeway....after making customs with work supplies! 15 bucks and it was awesome. Make sure you can fit a glove over it. Keep stretching after you get the cast off as well.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 20:11 Quote
All dpends on wich bone you broke in your wrist, I broke my scaphoid last year and i had to wear a cast for six month, bad break long healing proces due to poor blood circulation in the scaphoid bone. I had the cast removed Nov 26 and I still get pain when riding or shortly after. I now tape my wrist before every ride. Follow your Dr. advise over internet "Do It". A week more off the bike is easier to deal with then months or even years of pain that could have been avoided!!

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 22:26 Quote
Frenchie.... the scaphoid is not in your wrist. If you are dissing my advise... I am giving advise on a wrist... as the forum title implies. If the thread had been titled "Riding with a broken scaphiod" my advise would be different; for example, "Your screwed".

I know alot about these things trust me, I work with broken bones daily. You broke your scaphiod......once.

That being said. Always talk to your doctor before you do, like i said it depends on the severity of the break and location.

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 22:41 Quote
well once i rode with a broken hand the put a cast on it and i held on with on finger and a thumb and braked with the other finger so i rode without two of my fingers (pinky and ring fingers) and i rode some steep gnarly stuff so that goes to show you that almost anything is possible

Posted: Aug 5, 2009 at 23:41 Quote
bigquotesFrenchie.... the scaphoid is not in your wrist. If you are dissing my advise... I am giving advise on a wrist...
I don't know where you think the Scaphoid is but I know for a fact that it is in the wrist.
photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014247
Mobile Version of Website