Healthcare for the US

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
Healthcare for the US
Posted: Dec 31, 2009 at 11:54 Quote
the only thing with private healthcare and that argument of lower taxes is it still leaves a lot of people that cant get healthcare

Posted: Dec 31, 2009 at 12:35 Quote
haydendmorrison wrote:
To tell the truth I've been almost converted by Gibson19 so I would rather pay barely any tax and pay for my own health care. That way I'll probably be paying about the same for healthcare but I'd have a choice between competative health car providers with the drive to be more personal and generally better.

I don't know if that is entirely the way it works but it sounds good

Oh, and if the bloody conservatives think they are getting my vote they can go sit on a pineapple. Smile
made my day. Happy New Year!

Posted: Dec 31, 2009 at 13:04 Quote
I don't mind taxes so long as I know they're going to healthcare and helping people who can't afford it, not bombs.

Posted: Dec 31, 2009 at 14:15 Quote
ledzeppie wrote:
I don't mind taxes so long as I know they're going to healthcare and helping people who can't afford it, not bombs.

good thing you don't live in the US. our government seems to think that bombs are a very worth while investment, and multi billion dollar stealth planes to drop them.

Posted: Dec 31, 2009 at 15:14 Quote
skatejunkie wrote:
ledzeppie wrote:

good thing you don't live in the US. our government seems to think that bombs are a very worth while investment, and multi billion dollar stealth planes to drop them.

thats exactly what I'm alluding to.

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 at 11:52 Quote
ledzeppie wrote:
seriously thats wasted tax money at its finest

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 15:34 Quote
gibson19 wrote:
I just really don't trust the government... They get us into all sorts of messes, are full of corruption and allocate resources very poorly..

And the CEOs of private insurance companies are boy scouts who do their best to help everyone...

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 15:36 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
gibson19 wrote:
I just really don't trust the government... They get us into all sorts of messes, are full of corruption and allocate resources very poorly..

And the CEOs of private insurance companies are boy scouts who do their best to help everyone...

lol Salute epic quote quoted for epic-ness

Posted: Jan 2, 2010 at 15:44 Quote
ezekiel wrote:
gibson19 wrote:

I don't think they are any better... But I believe they have better incentive to keep their customers happy... If the government made a profit out of health care I'm sure they would do a much better job but I can't see that happening as they seem to criminalize profit in the health care industry...

What I would like to see out of healthcare reform is more government regulation of healthcare companies rather than a complete take over... I wouldn't say its a responsibility of the government to keep its people healthy its personal responsibilty but it sure doesn't hurt for the government to keep that market in check...

(Yes harriiieee, beef... I said more government regulation)

Posted: Jan 14, 2010 at 20:43 Quote
I'm a little confused. Gibson, it sounds like what you want is exactly what we are getting... that, or I have no idea what the proposed bill is. From what I've been told, you will still be paying your chosen insurance provider through taxes, and those providers are now under stricter regulations.

Posted: Jan 15, 2010 at 6:12 Quote
skatejunkie wrote:
I'm a little confused. Gibson, it sounds like what you want is exactly what we are getting... that, or I have no idea what the proposed bill is. From what I've been told, you will still be paying your chosen insurance provider through taxes, and those providers are now under stricter regulations.

Yes I like the system how it is... I'll admit it has its fault... We just need the government to get its shit together with medicaid and medicare and stop all the insurance fraud...

To be honest I wish it was more expensive because it'd make it cheaper... Its weird to think about it that way but if we start by paying for every doctor visit the people won't be getting treatments that aren't necessary or go to the ER when their kid has a cough... Thats a main reason prices are so high... Because people with insurance aren't paying directly out of pocket they don't care what things cost... I would like to see accounts that will cover you in case of emergency but doesn't cover electives and regular doctors visits and things like that...

Posted: Jan 15, 2010 at 7:41 Quote
You seem to be suggesting pricing out even the middle class of medical treatment. Only the afflent will be able to take their kid to ER every time he sneezes.... I´m afraid that you can´t stop that kind of behaviour by increasing prices ACROSS THE BOARD, because that will just f*ck your system that little bit more. It´s trhere to stay, it´s a problem fundamental to a private system. Over here, your kid sees a doctor, he says he´s fine, has a cough, tells you to go home.

Posted: Jan 15, 2010 at 8:05 Quote
harriieee wrote:
You seem to be suggesting pricing out even the middle class of medical treatment. Only the afflent will be able to take their kid to ER every time he sneezes.... I´m afraid that you can´t stop that kind of behaviour by increasing prices ACROSS THE BOARD, because that will just f*ck your system that little bit more. It´s trhere to stay, it´s a problem fundamental to a private system. Over here, your kid sees a doctor, he says he´s fine, has a cough, tells you to go home.

What I'm saying though is have something like a health savings account... Where instead of putting all your money into an insurance company you pay a very small premium and then it is the individuals responsibility to put other money into a tax free account to be used for non emergency medical bills... Like regular check ups and elective surgeries...

This already exists in the US... It benefits healthy people....

One fundamental problem I don't think I've shared here with socialized healthcare is I believe wholeheartedly that people should make their own decisions like if they want to smoke or not or if they want to be obese or not... and with socialized healthcare the only way to make it fair is to ban all those things by trying to keep everyone at the same health level... and that is something I can't even begin to be ok with...

Posted: Jan 15, 2010 at 8:30 Quote
And I think freedom is seriously overrated.

We differ.

Posted: Jan 15, 2010 at 8:42 Quote
harriieee wrote:
And I think freedom is seriously overrated.

We differ.

Weird to think... But we seem to reach this end quite a bit...

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013133
Mobile Version of Website