The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 13:30 Quote
vanillapodfan wrote:
nicknjegac wrote:
vanillapodfan wrote:
Haven't thought that far ahead yet but I just wanted to make sure SRAM lever would work with say an X0 short cage mech.
Like I said I saw force shifters with a x9 mech yesterday at a cx race so I'm sure to would work, I'm not sure about 11sp though

I'm going to be running 2x9, I know that much. Cheers for the advice.

That will be fine dude. Force is 1:1 actuation like x9 so will be simple to setup.

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 13:34 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
vanillapodfan wrote:
nicknjegac wrote:

Like I said I saw force shifters with a x9 mech yesterday at a cx race so I'm sure to would work, I'm not sure about 11sp though

That will be fine dude. Force is 1:1 actuation like x9 so will be simple to setup.

Super sweet, cheers man. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative to force levers that still have the 1:1 actuation?

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 13:36 Quote
vanillapodfan wrote:
rAtty-c wrote:
vanillapodfan wrote:

Super sweet, cheers man. Anyone know of a cheaper alternative to force levers that still have the 1:1 actuation?

Anything with the SRAM logo on them lol

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 13:37 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
vanillapodfan wrote:
rAtty-c wrote:

Of course, i knew that really... Just testing you... So is force the top end of their road range? I'm only just getting into this road biking malarky.

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 13:40 Quote
vanillapodfan wrote:
rAtty-c wrote:
vanillapodfan wrote:

Of course, i knew that really... Just testing you... So is force the top end of their road range? I'm only just getting into this road biking malarky.

If you want drop bars your sort of stuck to force. If your opting flat bars then any of the mtb range. Bullhorn bars, I think they have 2 options both slightly cheaper than force. Road gearing for sram is very expensive. Hence why I stayed single speed in the end.

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 13:48 Quote
a 1:1 ratio ks not neccesarily the same as a different models 1:1.

say a shifter moves 2mm of cabke for 2mm of derailleur. that's a 1:1 ratio, but another
system might move 3mm lf cable for 3mm of derailleur. that's still 1:1.

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 13:52 Quote
Is there anything stopping me running flat bars and mtb components (shifters, mechs, brake levers) on a road bike? Or even mtb shifters on drop bars, just in the middle near the stem..?

Edit: Or am i being a retard?

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 13:55 Quote
Make sure the levers work with the throw of the calipers, and the shifter works with the throw of the mech. Otherwise, it works awesome.

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 23:06 Quote
Getting my sexy trance 1 2015 soon. What stem and bar combo do you suggest? I'm leaning towards renthal apex 40mm stem and the carbon fatbar lites , that seems to be a pretty light and durable setup.

Also going to convert to cheap mans 1x11 with raceface n/w ring, mrp direct mount guide ane e-13 one-up ring. Tubeless with HR2 front and ardent rear. Any other suggestions? planning to get it around the 12.5kg mark

Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 23:54 Quote
Why not just get the trance sx? Its already got a short stem and 1x drive

O+
Posted: Oct 27, 2014 at 23:56 Quote
Not available in Australia i'm fairly certain, well at the LBS i work at we don't get them in.

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 0:04 Quote
TheGapMTBer wrote:
Not available in Australia i'm fairly certain, well at the LBS i work at we don't get them in.
don't =/= cant

That said, the SX is a bit slacker and may not be what you're looking for. Also, the trance 1 has carboners for wheels.

Personally I'd have a tough time deciding between the trance SX, trance 1 and trance advanced 2.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 0:15 Quote
Yeah the composite wheels were a big tick when deciding, can't wait to see it when its built up, hopefully under the 12.5kg mark

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 0:18 Quote
I believe it comes in at 29lbs without pedals stock. We threw one on the scale the other day but I can't remember the exact weight.

My boss's trance advanced 1 was 26.1lbs out the box with a carbon frame and wheels.

O+
Posted: Oct 28, 2014 at 0:22 Quote
Sounds good then, tubeless, 1x10 and lighter stem/bar should bring that down quite a bit

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.044535
Mobile Version of Website