The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
Posted: Jan 18, 2015 at 8:33 Quote
I'm not an idiot, I swear. I've got a set of Superstar wheels and was wondering if their Tesla hubs are compatible with SRAM XD driver bodies?

Posted: Jan 18, 2015 at 8:35 Quote
vanillapodfan wrote:
I'm not an idiot, I swear. I've got a set of Superstar wheels and was wondering if their Tesla hubs are compatible with SRAM XD driver bodies?
I believe the Sram bodies only fit Sram hubs, so you'll need one from Superstar (if they make them). Could be wrong on that, though.
Edit: This is the one you'll need. It's the xx1 option.

Posted: Jan 18, 2015 at 8:48 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
vanillapodfan wrote:
I believe the Sram bodies only fit Sram hubs, so you'll need one from Superstar (if they make them). Could be wrong on that, though.
Edit: This is the one you'll need. It's the xx1 option.

Nice one. Cheers!

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 9:08 Quote
Looking to swap the nipples on my wheelset to purple ones? from brass ones. What do I need to look out for e.g. Sizes and stuff like that. It wouldn't make my hub and wheel out of line if I was to do one spoke at a time?

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 9:11 Quote
NUKEproofJosh wrote:
Looking to swap the nipples on my wheelset to purple ones? from brass ones. What do I need to look out for e.g. Sizes and stuff like that. It wouldn't make my hub and wheel out of line if I was to do one spoke at a time?
They'll generally be 14 gauge (2mm) and 12mm (I think...?) length. I wouldn't bother doing one at a time since it would be nearly impossible to tension it correctly. May as well do the whole wheel at once, and it'll probably be quicker anyway (although you might be able to get away with leaving the spokes in their cross pattern if you're careful).

Is it really worth all that effort, though?

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 9:12 Quote
Ignore this - beaten to it

O+
Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 9:12 Quote
yes it would go out of line so i would recomend going to your lbs and getting them to do it and if you ask nicely they could tech you the basics of wheel truing/building and then next time you could do it yourself.... but as arnoodles said is it really worth all the effort?.... i did mine on my jump bike but i knew how to build wheels so i could do it and it was just extra practice for me

Posted: Jan 19, 2015 at 10:42 Quote
Erm, my mate did exactly that on his wheels, changed the stock red alus to black brass ones, one at a time over about an hour each wheel. You shouldn't be attempting it without knowing how to true wheels so it is doable.

Posted: Jan 20, 2015 at 9:34 Quote
Okay, I'll just have a crack at it anyway haha
thanks anyway lads!

Posted: Jan 20, 2015 at 9:35 Quote
NUKEproofJosh wrote:
thanks anyway lads!

If you f*ck it up, drop em off at mine and I'll fix em!

O+
Posted: Jan 20, 2015 at 9:36 Quote
rAtty-c wrote:
NUKEproofJosh wrote:
thanks anyway lads!

when you f*ck 'em up drop em off at mine and I'll fix em!

fixed it for you no need Wink

Posted: Jan 20, 2015 at 9:37 Quote
Thanks dude!, hopefully won't be doing that lol

Posted: Jan 20, 2015 at 20:30 Quote
I have a Marzocchi am sl off of a 2006 Specialized Enduro that i am trying to replace the dust and oil seals on. I have the uppers and lowers seperated but can't get the dust seals to move. I have the manual and it says to pry out the seals with an screw driver but I am chipping the paint with that method. Does anyone have any experience with these forks? Does it just take a lot if force to get the dust seal out? What tools or other methods should I use?

Help please!

Posted: Jan 20, 2015 at 21:14 Quote
I have used the open end of a 12mm wrench to pry them out with great success.

Posted: Jan 21, 2015 at 3:11 Quote
Enduro-rider-1 wrote:
I have a Marzocchi am sl off of a 2006 Specialized Enduro that i am trying to replace the dust and oil seals on. I have the uppers and lowers seperated but can't get the dust seals to move. I have the manual and it says to pry out the seals with an screw driver but I am chipping the paint with that method. Does anyone have any experience with these forks? Does it just take a lot if force to get the dust seal out? What tools or other methods should I use?

Help please!

Have you removed the circlip inside the seal yet? That is a common mistake people make trying to remove them. Once they are removed, put a flat edge screwdriver in the rim they were sat in and lever the seal out.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.038631
Mobile Version of Website