The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
Posted: May 19, 2016 at 8:36 Quote
NUKEproofJosh wrote:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/spank-tweet-tweet-dj-frame/rp-prod31073
Looking to buy this frame, says its a 45 diametre headtube can i run tapered with external headset on it?
no

Posted: May 19, 2016 at 21:12 Quote
I'm trying to work out how much dampening/spongeness to set for my front fork and how the rebound reacts to impacts. There is that dial/knob that is on the left fork top that you use to adjust, not sure on the name of it.

A few basic questions I have in mind are, should I make sure to keep it from bottoming out during a heavy impact? That seems like it should be yes and common sense that you don't want to bottom out.

Posted: May 19, 2016 at 21:19 Quote
Zednix wrote:
I'm trying to work out how much dampening/spongeness to set for my front fork and how the rebound reacts to impacts. There is that dial/knob that is on the left fork top that you use to adjust, not sure on the name of it.

A few basic questions I have in mind are, should I make sure to keep it from bottoming out during a heavy impact? That seems like it should be yes and common sense that you don't want to bottom out.

What fork is it? Also,does it have a rebound adjuster?

Posted: May 19, 2016 at 22:02 Quote
Zednix wrote:

The term is damping not dampening. Adjusting the rebound will not affect bottoming out. You need to adjust your compression damping for that. And you should be bottoming out on the biggest hits on trails you ride. Check out YouTube videos about suspension setup that will give you some more knowledge. Good luck

Posted: May 19, 2016 at 23:30 Quote
Nobble wrote:
NUKEproofJosh wrote:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/spank-tweet-tweet-dj-frame/rp-prod31073
Looking to buy this frame, says its a 45 diametre headtube can i run tapered with external headset on it?
no

Ah bugger, cheers

Posted: May 20, 2016 at 23:30 Quote
Rambo1501 wrote:
Is 26" shit for AM and enduro? I feel since the introduction of 27.5" that running 26" wheels would be a bad idea.

On top of that are voltages useable for AM?

I pedalled one on a cross country trail at 180mm of travel. It did the job pain free. Just not fast. Your only limit is going to be your height. They have a 14" seattube, so you need to be about 30" inseam or less to get full extension. Mine's about 33". (I had enough to get through but I couldn't get full extension, and I'm about 6'3".) If you put it at 160mm, it'd probably be fine. If you got an air shock with lockout, you'd be in good shape.

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 14:26 Quote
Hi guys, I need suggestions for new 29' tires.
I ride about 10km on pavement to get to the local trails, so I need durable tires that will survive the round trips. However the trails have loose surfaces with lots of rocks, roots and mud, so I cannot ride tires meant for hardpack/dry conditions. So far I have found the maxxis minion SS which seems interesting..

So anybody has suggestions?

Thanks

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 14:29 Quote
Sounds like a good plan. Minion ss rear and dhf front is what I d run for a grippy/fast rolling combo.

Posted: May 21, 2016 at 16:09 Quote
SebHV wrote:
Hi guys, I need suggestions for new 29' tires.
I ride about 10km on pavement to get to the local trails, so I need durable tires that will survive the round trips. However the trails have loose surfaces with lots of rocks, roots and mud, so I cannot ride tires meant for hardpack/dry conditions. So far I have found the maxxis minion SS which seems interesting..

So anybody has suggestions?

Thanks

Minion ss is very much a hardback/summer tyre, you'd be better with the new aggressor on the rear with a minion dhf up front. They'll be not than durable enough, my 3c eco minions are over 500 road and 1000 off road miles old and are barely worn, even I'm shocked at how long they're lasting.

O+
Posted: May 25, 2016 at 7:47 Quote
When you tighten the top cap down, does anyone know how much compressive force that puts on the spacers?

Posted: May 25, 2016 at 8:00 Quote
Sanderson22 wrote:
When you tighten the top cap down, does anyone know how much compressive force that puts on the spacers?
Stem top cap I take it...
Maybe like 1.5-2 nm

O+
Posted: May 25, 2016 at 8:06 Quote
oldmanDan wrote:
Sanderson22 wrote:
Stem top cap I take it...
Maybe like 1.5-2 nm

Yea thats the torque you would tighten the bolt with. But what compressive force does that translate into is what I'm asking.

Posted: May 25, 2016 at 8:17 Quote
According to this, an m6 tightened to spec (8Nm) would be 6666N of clamping force. Why would you care, though?

Posted: May 25, 2016 at 8:20 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:
According to this, an m6 tightened to spec (8Nm) would be 6666N of clamping force. Why would you care, though?

8nm of torque is equal to 5.9 ftlbs

O+
Posted: May 25, 2016 at 8:26 Quote
Arnoodles wrote:

Thanks. I'm wondering if a plastic Garmin mount would hold up in place of a metal spacer.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039879
Mobile Version of Website