The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
The MTB Quick Question Thread 3.0 - Parts names & abreviations link on first post.
Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 0:12 Quote
omtimasprime wrote:
I usually use a speed winder, and wind the nipples down till the spoke kicks the speed winder off the nipple. So no threads are showing on the inner circumference, and go from there. The biggest thing to remember is its easy to get side to side bends out, but high and low flat spots not so much. So you want to make sure that wheel is round before it's straight if that makes sense.
make sure the wheel is round and true before it has any tension. Then add tension, check dish, add tension, and repeat.

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 5:40 Quote
What's a cool bike I can get with 140 to 160mm of travel on both wheels, 650b(for compatibility reasons) under ~2000€?(will raise if worth it)

I have these in mind:
http://www.commencal-store.co.uk/meta-am-v4-origin-yellow-2016-c2x16197636

https://www.yt-industries.com/en/detail/index/sArticle/541/sCategory/92

The YT comes with a dropper already, I have one already that fits the commencal, but since it's brand new I can still return it to CRC, so dropper isn't a reason to go for one over the other, although mine is "brand-x", reverb might be better.

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 6:18 Quote
Cheers again for the advice lads, any info helps. I built a wheel last night from scratch, true and no hop in the rim. Dishing is the hard part since at home I don't have the tool but pretty happy with the current result.
Time to strip it back down and try again! haha

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 13:41 Quote
Just got some FSA SL-K handle bars. At the stem area there is a rough finish. Does this mean I don't need to use carbon paste? What about for the brake/shift levers where its a smooth finish?

Thanks.

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 14:25 Quote
brodoyouevenbike wrote:
What's a cool bike I can get with 140 to 160mm of travel on both wheels, 650b(for compatibility reasons) under ~2000€?(will raise if worth it)

I have these in mind:

The YT comes with a dropper already, I have one already that fits the commencal, but since it's brand new I can still return it to CRC, so dropper isn't a reason to go for one over the other, although mine is "brand-x", reverb might be better.
Giant Trance 2 - comes with 1x11, Fox fork and shock, and the decent Giant dropper post.
(or Reign for the 160mm "Enduro" option)

Posted: Jan 10, 2017 at 14:43 Quote
brianl wrote:
brodoyouevenbike wrote:

I have these in mind:

Giant Trance 2 - comes with 1x11, Fox fork and shock, and the decent Giant dropper post.
(or Reign for the 160mm "Enduro" option)
Defo the reign, have a 2015 one myself (the frame hasn't been changed since) and can't recommend it enough for any type of riding

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 4:34 Quote
The reign looks awesome, always like the whacky colours, also found it for ~1700€, which is the cheapest option so far!

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 9:43 Quote
Ya the reign 2 is an awesome bike for the money. There only $3200cad

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 16:46 Quote
Hello everyone in the forum. I am planning to buy a 2014 Operator Carbon Dh bike, could anyone please tell me if I can fit:
Maxxis Minion DHF Tire 26 x 2.5" 3C Skin Wall Tan? Beer Beer Beer

Posted: Jan 12, 2017 at 18:52 Quote
Toofastnotsofurious wrote:
Hello everyone in the forum. I am planning to buy a 2014 Operator Carbon Dh bike, could anyone please tell me if I can fit:

Yes. If they're 26" wheels, and they should be, those tyres will fit

Posted: Jan 13, 2017 at 19:19 Quote
riish wrote:
Toofastnotsofurious wrote:

Yes. If they're 26" wheels, and they should be, those tyres will fit

Beer Thanks man! if buying my first freeride rig... this will be on then!!! Beer

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 1:22 Quote
Hey guys. I have a 2015 Fox 36 29 RC2 TALAS. I want to convert it to Float NA to get some progression. Would this be possible? If it is, what parts do I need to get? TIA!

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 8:16 Quote
triacontakaidigon wrote:
Hey guys. I have a 2015 Fox 36 29 RC2 TALAS. I want to convert it to Float NA to get some progression. Would this be possible? If it is, what parts do I need to get? TIA!

I would think all you need is the float air spring. Should bolt right in, damper should be the same... Maybe someone can clarify. Maybe send fox shocks an email

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 9:48 Quote
triacontakaidigon wrote:
go on ridefox.com - bike - upgrades - enter your fork's code and the available upgrades should appear.

Posted: Jan 17, 2017 at 10:00 Quote
brianl wrote:
triacontakaidigon wrote:
go on ridefox.com - bike - upgrades - enter your fork's code and the available upgrades should appear.

Never knew the forks had a serial number. I'm gonna put mine in just out of boredom.

Curious what these upgrades would be..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.039137
Mobile Version of Website