Broken wrist - how long till full recovery AFTER cast is off ?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken wrist - how long till full recovery AFTER cast is off ?
Previous Page |
Posted: Nov 1, 2009 at 16:24 Quote
Hi, i checked the forum, and nothing was very specific, i broke my ulna, radius, and humerus on my left wrist, and had a plate and fixation screws in, im having it for 5 and a half weeks.
Im wondering how long after i have my cast off will the muscle grow back, i had a 3 weeks check up on it, and it was mega shrunken, i've heard that some people take months to gain the muscle back, i was going to the gym 4 times a week before i broke it, and i'm just dying to get back in there, and to also ride my bike again.
SO BASICALLY, how many weeks will it take until i can use my wrist and forearm properly, if i isolate the muscle for maximum healing.
any info would be great, ir personal experiences. Thanks!

Posted: Nov 1, 2009 at 16:31 Quote
humerous is in the upper arm..not the wrist

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 6:12 Quote
well, when you say upper arm, do you mean forearm ? because they're broke near the wrist, they snaked over eachother.

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 7:20 Quote
The best thing to do after your cast comes off is just go about your daily life. It will hurt and you will be weak in that arm but nothing is better therapy than everyday activities. It's kind of like having a cold; you feel like krap but then it gets better but you still feel the cold and one day you realize that it's been gone for a while. Your arm will feel week and it will frustrate you but one day you'll realize that it's 100% again and has been for a while.
Otherwise expect it to take a few months... to be completely normal but this doesnt mean you wont be able to do a lot of things. It's a gradual thing.

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 7:22 Quote
just hit it real hard off something if it doesnt break shes healed

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 7:39 Quote
thanks for the tip mikedjumpin :L although i don't think i'll be using that.
i was on about the muslce buidling.
yeah, i've heard it can take up to 5 months befor it feels like it's mine. but i dnt mind how uncomfortable it feels. i just want to know how long it will be before i can use it as much as the other arm without damaging it.

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 8:02 Quote
Get yourself a powerball. I had wrist surgery 2 years ago, and the one thing I attribute a fast muscle and dexterity recovery to is this:

http://www.youtube.com/v/znGNmZ8Z92o

It seriously helps a ton, and after recovery if you still use it it will help prevent arm pump!

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 8:07 Quote
It took me atleast a month before my wrist was back up scratch for riding for the 1st time I broke it.

2nd time round, I started to use said powerball (or just squeeze a squash ball, works just as well) 2 weeks before my cast came off to help cope with the muscle loss and everyday activity, this time I was on the bike just after 3 weeks of it being removed.

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 8:18 Quote
thanks hummeroid and dobby, i think i'll get one. mines coming off on the 17th of november. Big Grin can't wait.

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 8:19 Quote
As a last comment, use the squash ball first while your arm is still in the cast THEN the powerball. It is painful with the cast still on if you use the powerball.

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 8:30 Quote
great. thanks for that. because when i clench my fist my forearm feels really stiff. im gna get a squash ball and a powerball asap.

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 8:47 Quote
Just work it easy though, dont try to crush the thing... caress it! Razz

Thats whats great about the powerball, when youre using it, its pretty easy on the wrist, eventhough youre strengthening it.

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 12:21 Quote
bennettfreeride wrote:
well, when you say upper arm, do you mean forearm ? because they're broke near the wrist, they snaked over eachother.
nope i mean the bone that's attached to the shoulder like under your bicep

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 12:44 Quote
i just came back from a broken wrist and was also in the gym 4 times a week before i broke it i had a cast on for 6 weeks id say i was riding like i could before after about 3 weeks but my wrist is not back to complete strength because my shot in hockey is still weak it really depends on how ur wrist has healed and how much you can do as soon as your cast comes off. I kno for me it took two weeks to get my movement back so i couldn't start stregthening it for an additional two weeks other the squeezing a ball.

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 12:50 Quote
It depends on how bad you break it.
Mine won't be fully recovered for another ~6-8 months... and it's already been just over 5 months. The ER hadn't ever seen a wrist so destroyed before though... They said I "smashified" it, even says so in my health record file thing haha.

I can ride, more or less. But strength and dexterity aren't up to speed yet. I can't put much weight on it, any crashes and it's toast. Sounds like yours is just a standard break though so it shouldn't be more than a month or two.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv14 0.014390
Mobile Version of Website