Broken wrist - how long till full recovery AFTER cast is off ?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Broken wrist - how long till full recovery AFTER cast is off ?
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 13:00 Quote
bennettfreeride wrote:
Hi, i checked the forum, and nothing was very specific, i broke my ulna, radius, and humerus on my left wrist, and had a plate and fixation screws in, im having it for 5 and a half weeks.
Im wondering how long after i have my cast off will the muscle grow back, i had a 3 weeks check up on it, and it was mega shrunken, i've heard that some people take months to gain the muscle back, i was going to the gym 4 times a week before i broke it, and i'm just dying to get back in there, and to also ride my bike again.
SO BASICALLY, how many weeks will it take until i can use my wrist and forearm properly, if i isolate the muscle for maximum healing.
any info would be great, ir personal experiences. Thanks!

K, so I do have some advice to give you, but take it with a grain of salt. I broke my Radius and Scaphoid at the height of the summer, and was on the bike (in a cast) three days later. I rode (and raced) with it for 6 weeks, and then took 2 days off to "recover" before riding again. (sans cast) (I duct-taped my wrist for the first month).
I rode a mix of street, jump, and DH while in the cast and in recovery.
The most important piece of advice I can give you is GO TO PHYSIO! The only reason my wrist isn't 100% right now is b/c the tendons in my wrist have criss-crossed and fused, so I only have 50% movement until I go through several months of (quite painful) physio to re-set them.

However, the bones are fine, even though I only skipped 5 days of riding throught he entire process.

Oh, and if you smoke weed, cut it out for 3 months (seriously).

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 13:02 Quote
Physio is the only reason I am even remotely in riding shape.
Gotta love the Canadian health system and it's free-ness.

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 13:23 Quote
whacking off is good physioFab

Mod Plus
Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 13:30 Quote
I broke my Radius and Ulna joints into multiple pieces. I had cast/pins for 6 weeks, followed by 4 weeks without cast/but no weight whatsoever allowed to be put on wrist. After the 10 weeks was up I started physio - after 2 appointments the phsyio threapist told me that it was the best reconstruction of broken wrist joints that he'd ever see but that it was likely to never completely heal. over 2 years later I remain at only about 70% ROM, visualy deformed, and hard hits or over use hurts just as much as the original break.

it's going to be different for every person.

Posted: Nov 2, 2009 at 22:39 Quote
Yea my buddy, broke his wrist and about 2 weeks in he was riding as hard as ever, he did end up having his cast on for an extra month tohugh, but now it is fine.

Posted: Dec 18, 2009 at 15:39 Quote
hi
i broke my wrist on the 3rd october, more specifically my radius and cubit and has passed 11 weeks
when can i be back riding normally again?

Posted: Dec 19, 2009 at 13:45 Quote
Neves99 wrote:
hi
i broke my wrist on the 3rd october, more specifically my radius and cubit and has passed 11 weeks
when can i be back riding normally again?

talk to your doctor, or someone at a physio clinic, but I'd say you are definately ready to ride normally again.
Get professional advice first though.
Usually healing is 6 weeks, and recovery is 4-6 weeks.

Posted: Dec 19, 2009 at 13:54 Quote
okSmile
i will talk
thanks for the answerBig Grin

Posted: Dec 19, 2009 at 13:57 Quote
I broke my wrist, It was about 10 weeks before i really started riding again and I went really soft.
PS. Leave it a bit longer if you rock rigids, I did.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2014. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv15 0.013797
Mobile Version of Website