Capital Punishment: Yay or Nay?

PB Forum :: Social / Political Issues
Capital Punishment: Yay or Nay?
Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 0:08 Quote
ledzeppie wrote:
you do realize it actually takes more money to execute someone than it does to lock them up for life right?

lolwut? So you're telling me that executing someone takes more money than locking them up for 40 years?

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 0:10 Quote
bloodypalace wrote:
ledzeppie wrote:
you do realize it actually takes more money to execute someone than it does to lock them up for life right?

lolwut? So you're telling me that executing someone takes more money than locking them up for 40 years?

Yes.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 0:12 Quote
ledzeppie wrote:
bloodypalace wrote:
ledzeppie wrote:

Yes.

Care to elaborate? I call bullshit!

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 0:13 Quote
"According to the organization, keeping inmates on death row in Florida costs taxpayers $51 million a year more than holding them for life without parole. North Carolina has put 43 people to death since 1976 at $2.16 million per execution. The eventual cost to taxpayers in Maryland for pursuing capital cases between 1978 and 1999 is estimated to be $186 million for five executions.

Perhaps the most extreme example is California, whose death row costs taxpayers $114 million a year beyond the cost of imprisoning convicts for life. The state has executed 13 people since 1976 for a total of about $250 million per execution."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/28/opinion/28mon3.html

Do some basic research before you call bullshit.

BTW I'll quote you a little more as to the reason it costs more.

"States waste millions of dollars on winning death penalty verdicts, which require an expensive second trial, new witnesses and long jury selections. Death rows require extra security and maintenance costs.

There is also a 15-to-20-year appeals process, but simply getting rid of it would be undemocratic and would increase the number of innocent people put to death. Besides, the majority of costs are in the pretrial and trial."

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 11:30 Quote
It´s a well-known fact that that´s the case. I, too, would like to see you put in a tiny bit of effort to know what you´re on about before you post.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 15:18 Quote
ledzeppie wrote:
"According to the organization, keeping inmates on death row in Florida costs taxpayers $51 million a year more than holding them for life without parole. North Carolina has put 43 people to death since 1976 at $2.16 million per execution. The eventual cost to taxpayers in Maryland for pursuing capital cases between 1978 and 1999 is estimated to be $186 million for five executions.

Perhaps the most extreme example is California, whose death row costs taxpayers $114 million a year beyond the cost of imprisoning convicts for life. The state has executed 13 people since 1976 for a total of about $250 million per execution."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/28/opinion/28mon3.html

Do some basic research before you call bullshit.

BTW I'll quote you a little more as to the reason it costs more.

"States waste millions of dollars on winning death penalty verdicts, which require an expensive second trial, new witnesses and long jury selections. Death rows require extra security and maintenance costs.

There is also a 15-to-20-year appeals process, but simply getting rid of it would be undemocratic and would increase the number of innocent people put to death. Besides, the majority of costs are in the pretrial and trial."

Yeah, because the whole system is bullshit. One bullet to the back of the head should get the job done.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 15:20 Quote
You just destroyed your credibility.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 15:24 Quote
ledzeppie wrote:

How so? Spend my tax dollars on health care, education, roads, etc. Tired of loser criminal scum bags costing me money.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 15:27 Quote
bloodypalace wrote:
ledzeppie wrote:

How so? Spend my tax dollars on health care, education, roads, etc. Tired of loser criminal scum bags costing me money.

Then I guess we should just give them life sentences.

You can't just put a bullet in someones head. There's a little more to it than that. You lose your credibility because you think that you can just kill 'em

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 15:32 Quote
The majority of the costs are legal fees. Execution isn't cheap. Lot's of red tape to go through to kill someone.

Similar to capital punishment, I do believe that certain criminals need to be "killed while being apprehended". Doing anything to children deserves that IMO. If you know about abuse, then you'd know that abuse breeds more abuse. It's an endless cycle.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 15:50 Quote
Yay for summary execution.

And if you got the wrong guy?

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 15:53 Quote
harriieee wrote:
Yay for summary execution.

And if you got the wrong guy?

Who cares, he's probably a sinner anyways lol

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 16:12 Quote
And what if you have the right guy?

You cna play what-if all day. The fact is, that to make an arrest in those cases, you need to have a certain amount of evidence for an arrest warrant. That's your proof. You don't get the wrong guy. Those type of people shouldn't be allowed to walk free on technicalities. Happens every day.

Posted: Oct 8, 2010 at 21:17 Quote
Absolutely believe in people guiding their own destiny. I've never killed or raped kids and old people. When someone commits those type of actions my feeling is that they themselves are the ones to blame for their elimination and older societies typically had no problem with this logic.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027826
Mobile Version of Website