Your most annoying bike shop employee/experience and why?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Your most annoying bike shop employee/experience and why?
Posted: Jul 15, 2011 at 20:40 Quote
Nobble wrote:
Cameronumf: you asked so i'll tell you... When you quote type on the bottom instead of the top. It's easier to read and its easier to see what you're saying Salute

On the subject of shops the two main shops i go to have been great lately.
thank you for explaning that.Salute

Posted: Jul 15, 2011 at 22:05 Quote
if it was a quote it may help?

Posted: Jul 15, 2011 at 23:50 Quote
I was at a bike shop that was located on a resort hill. I had whent in to see if they had any boxxer seals, he then grabbed some enduro seals and began to ring them up. I have bad experiences with enduro seals so i told him not to bother. He was like, alright, and helped the next customer. This customer asked him for a couple of zip ties, makes sense, your the only service shop on the hill. But he now is getting frustrated and yells to everyone in the room "Is ANYBODY going to buy something here!?" I was amazed, so was the guy getting zip ties, who had to pay $2 each.

Posted: Oct 9, 2011 at 19:18 Quote
Taking my bike in on Friday afternoon for a brake bleed shop owner saying I"d hear back from him Saturday...Saturday coems around...no call.Monday comes around no call...so I call them...they hadn't eve looked at my bike....I get a call Tuesday saying there was nothign they could do to bleed my brakes that somethign was bent inside the lever/master cylinder...(they were Hayes El Caminos) He suggested that he couldsend the brake to Hayes for $20...wait over a month maybe two before getting thebrake back possibly not even repaired...so I Just got rid of them and got some Juicy 5s on here....

But if they Say I'll hear back Saturday...then I should hear back....and I dropped it off close to closing time....so not like they got super busy....and there's no priority...they get serviced when they're next in line upon receiving.

though on the bright side I didn't pay anything.

and they adjusted my seat post for whatever the reason....it was on a AM/XC bike not a DJ bike so the seat wasn't slammed at all..it was a good 8'' high...I see no need as to why they adjusted/changed the height of my seat post....a work stand would've clamped on just fine the way it was.

and they didn't even put my brake back on the right way....my hose was wrapped around the outside of the fork.

I only deal with my LBS when I can't do it myself.....otherwise i do all my own work..or I get other riders to do it...

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 at 14:13 Quote
Same bike shop as before..(LBS) Iwalk in wanting a bottom crown race for my FSA Orbit Headset....thye said I would have to buy a whole new headset....well all I want is a crown race so I can swap between forks w/o removing the crown race each time....so I go back home...1 minute eBay search and BAM I find the EXACT crown race I need...$4 so I bought it...

Why don't bike shops like dealing with little things like that? They only said I could buy a crown race if it was a higher end headset like a Chris king....if I can find it the part on eBay i'm sure they can order in the part form somewhere...liek really...it was also the smae bike shop that told me that swapping a bolt through axle to a 9mm QR was impossible on a Shimano hub....yet both axles are roughly the same size...and I have BOTH a QR version and standard bolt through version of the same exact Shimano hub (Both front hubs)(M745 hub i think)

they're the only bike shop in my whole town though....

O+
Posted: Nov 3, 2011 at 14:22 Quote
they're lazy and to be fair some companies don't do spares for all their headsets. To be fair though in my times at a shop we did on several occasions, take apart complete headsets that we had for sale and sold the crown race or whatever to a customer. just kept the rest of the headset for spares.

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 at 16:19 Quote
rolto1822 wrote:
they're lazy and to be fair some companies don't do spares for all their headsets. To be fair though in my times at a shop we did on several occasions, take apart complete headsets that we had for sale and sold the crown race or whatever to a customer. just kept the rest of the headset for spares.

yea...that's what i figure...but the FSA is like the most common headset they sell....so there's always someone looking fo an extra bearing or something

Posted: Nov 4, 2011 at 21:25 Quote
I haven't really had any bad experiences with my lbs, it's a pretty good shop.

Posted: Nov 4, 2011 at 21:56 Quote
My annoying bike shop experience:

I get 1 year free servicing on my bike. So i sent it in with the tune-ups I wanted on a sheet of paper. I also had my new bars and stem, already put together so they couldn't wreck it, and asked if they could cut down my steerer tube so that there was only ONE 10mm spacer under the stem. They accepted, and being the nice people they are, they said they would do it for free. I left my bike with them for a few days, and when i got it back everything was good, they said they did EXACTLY what i asked. the bb was no longer sqeaking and the bars were installed so i was happy. Until i noticed that they had put the 10mm spacer under my stem and some extra 1mm (i think) spacers because they hadnt cut the steerer tube short enough Facepalm

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2011 at 22:13 Quote
The-Bike-King wrote:

I get 1 year free servicing on my bike. So i sent it in with the tune-ups I wanted on a sheet of paper. I also had my new bars and stem, already put together so they couldn't wreck it, and asked if they could cut down my steerer tube so that there was only ONE 10mm spacer under the stem. They accepted, and being the nice people they are, they said they would do it for free. I left my bike with them for a few days, and when i got it back everything was good, they said they did EXACTLY what i asked. the bb was no longer sqeaking and the bars were installed so i was happy. Until i noticed that they had put the 10mm spacer under my stem and some extra 1mm (i think) spacers because they hadnt cut the steerer tube short enough Facepalm
at least they didn't cut it too short... why dont you just ask them to do it properly? it's not the end of the world!!

Posted: Nov 4, 2011 at 22:18 Quote
The-Bike-King wrote:

There's good reason behind this.

If they cut it too short, and get a frame with a taller head tube, well guess what, you're f*cked, and it's going to be " their fault "

Now, if YOU do the cutting, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Shops do this to cover their asses, not to piss you off.

O+
Posted: Nov 4, 2011 at 23:07 Quote
I went to a shop up at a resort, and asked for chain lube because my chain was getting squeaky. Normally my lbs in town would have no problem with me dropping by for some lube, but the guy up there tells me that I can't just have things for free and that I'll have to buy $20 of something to get lube. C'mon, it's like 1/8th of a teaspoon of cheap liquid. Like really. Bottom line, I dealt with a squeaky chain for a day and got some free lube later.

Posted: Nov 5, 2011 at 5:56 Quote
moonunit wrote:
I went to a shop up at a resort, and asked for chain lube because my chain was getting squeaky. Normally my lbs in town would have no problem with me dropping by for some lube, but the guy up there tells me that I can't just have things for free and that I'll have to buy $20 of something to get lube. C'mon, it's like 1/8th of a teaspoon of cheap liquid. Like really. Bottom line, I dealt with a squeaky chain for a day and got some free lube later.
complaining that you dont get stuff for free... classy. theyre not a charity you know.

ive been waiting for my fork travel spacers for a month and i still dont have them. they told me it was a 2-3 day wait. i could have gone to another shop and had it done in a few hours, yes it was $45 more, but in hindsight i should have gone to them

Posted: Nov 6, 2011 at 8:19 Quote
Bmxerch wrote:
The-Bike-King wrote:

There's good reason behind this.

If they cut it too short, and get a frame with a taller head tube, well guess what, you're f*cked, and it's going to be " their fault "

Now, if YOU do the cutting, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Shops do this to cover their asses, not to piss you off.
Fair enough, but the spacer underneath it is 10mm. Its a DJ3 anyway, not the end of the world if it was to short lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014517
Mobile Version of Website