Burnaby Biking

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Burnaby Biking
Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 18:55 Quote
MuddyProductions wrote:
whitehonky wrote:
Yes, that storm this weekend was crazy. Re-work of re-work needs to be done. Many other trails thrashed by the storm as well. Pandora's is a permanent creek now with a huge rut all the way up the middle - this is an uphill only trail, but is now pretty much unpleasant on foot or bike. Upper Nicole's is also a riverway when wet and getting worse with no real maintenance occurring.

With more and more massive rain events in our future - the new norm - these trails and their drainage needs to be reconsidered from conventional means (or fortified). It will need the work of Burnaby and the trail community working together to establish the resources to re-adjust the trails accordingly and won't happen overnight. A new relationship and new outlook from all parties needs to be taken to find the best and most sustainable path forward. The biking community is most involved, but these trail conditions are not the result of bike use, they are the result of weather and water.

83mm of rain on Burnaby Mountain on Friday. Crazy.

Just out of curiosity who is doing the re work on burnaby mountain? Is it the city or are they contracting a company to do the maintenance.
If I'm not mistaken its the City of Burnaby

Posted: Jan 27, 2015 at 20:15 Quote
I wouldn't mind having a hand or say at least in what they are doing to the trails - I'm tired of the city toning the trails down, and even more bothered that they keep destroying the interesting "illegal" trails Madder

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 13:33 Quote
Cheever wrote:
I wouldn't mind having a hand or say at least in what they are doing to the trails - I'm tired of the city toning the trails down, and even more bothered that they keep destroying the interesting "illegal" trails Madder
unfortunately it's a reality we have to face if we ride Burnaby. Don't see why they don't adopt a "ride at your own risk" policy like the shore for both sanctioned and illegal trails rather than them accepting all the liability.

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 14:58 Quote
sushifor2 wrote:
Cheever wrote:
unfortunately it's a reality we have to face if we ride Burnaby. Don't see why they don't adopt a "ride at your own risk" policy like the shore for both sanctioned and illegal trails rather than them accepting all the liability.

+1

Posted: Jan 28, 2015 at 15:04 Quote
I have a suspicion they're toning a lot of them down because people hike up them a lot and might be complaining about bikes/difficulty.

O+
Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 9:43 Quote
Gear Jammer is about 75% in good running order. City of Burnaby (CoB) notes that they will be repairing Lower GJ and Uppercut in the very near future.

Flows from above are in the final stages of adjustment, then a final sweep of the main GJ trail will be done. Looks like most of the trail rebuild held up well in the last major storm. Kudos for a good design solution from the contractor doing the work (not CoB repairs). Also some really good trail fairy work lately to get it through these last storms.

The developer of the UniverCity community also built the jump park and pump track across from Cornerstone entirely at their expense as an amenity to the riding community. They hope to add a medium jump line this year. There will be nothing bigger due to risk and space, but it's a great free addition to the mountain and good pre-dh prep after the climb up the mountain.

However, PLEASE RESPECT THE WINTER CLOSURE of the jump park/pump track. The jumps and berms are currently covered with a material designed to protect the jumps and the lips over the heavy wet period so that they are good to go in the spring. Some folks have pulled back the matting to hit the jumps and this will JEOPARDISE the willingness of the developer to keep this park going.

As for illegal trails.... they are illegal.... so you pretty much are at the whim of the City of Burnaby. I agree that their policies could be far more progressive allowing the co-development of some new additions to the trail network. But when done illegally, they don't really help the cause of mountain biking on Burnaby Mountain, regardless of how fun or well built SOME of them are.

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 13:46 Quote
It is good to hear that the bike park will be getting a new line

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 14:43 Quote
l8igz wrote:
Sucks that they're not getting any bigger. Whatever we have whistler in the summer

Posted: Feb 13, 2015 at 18:46 Quote
sushifor2 wrote:
l8igz wrote:
Sucks that they're not getting any bigger. Whatever we have whistler in the summer

I hear you!!

Posted: Feb 14, 2015 at 8:30 Quote
Honestly bigger isn't always better. New line that still can be tackled by someone intermediate is usually what you get when you are doing something with the city.

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 at 14:32 Quote
Any one up for a ride tomorrow? ill be on the hill around 1030-1100 am,riding mostly gear,and mels.

Brian

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2015 at 16:28 Quote
Sadly people were removing the closed signs from the bike park at the top of the mountain and were ripping apart the protective matting on the jumps so they could be ridden. The guys that built it tried to re-close them a couple times, but that kept getting ripped open as well.

When the rain comes back this will cause the jumps to erode, the lips to get mushy and rounded, and the rocks to come out and require more expensive rebuilding for the spring and summer season, possibly causing them to simply be shut down. Just look at Mountain Air to see what happens when they are left exposed all winter.

Since folks can't just hang tough and let the jumps rest for the winter, fencing has now been put up around the jump lines at the expense of the developer. Still, folks were seen riding the pump track despite the closure. Might just be a matter of time until this free amenity is removed if we can't just respect the winter closure.

Sad really.

Posted: Feb 20, 2015 at 16:39 Quote
That is upsetting to me. I hate that.

It's like when I work on trails and see people ripping them apart and hacking into them without fixing it or anything. Just smash the hell out of it and leave it.

Posted: Feb 21, 2015 at 9:08 Quote
whitehonky wrote:
Sadly people were removing the closed signs from the bike park at the top of the mountain and were ripping apart the protective matting on the jumps so they could be ridden. The guys that built it tried to re-close them a couple times, but that kept getting ripped open as well.

When the rain comes back this will cause the jumps to erode, the lips to get mushy and rounded, and the rocks to come out and require more expensive rebuilding for the spring and summer season, possibly causing them to simply be shut down. Just look at Mountain Air to see what happens when they are left exposed all winter.

Since folks can't just hang tough and let the jumps rest for the winter, fencing has now been put up around the jump lines at the expense of the developer. Still, folks were seen riding the pump track despite the closure. Might just be a matter of time until this free amenity is removed if we can't just respect the winter closure.

Sad really.
That's awful why cant people learn how to read and obey signs, geez.

Posted: Feb 23, 2015 at 20:40 Quote
sfudownhillbiker999 wrote:
whitehonky wrote:

Sad really.
That's awful why cant people learn how to read and obey signs, geez.

Just remember, it is Grom city up there..

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011583
Mobile Version of Website