Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Sumas Mountain Trail Conditions and General Maintenance Thread
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Nov 27, 2009 at 23:45 Quote
I'm starting this thread and I am hoping that others join and take part in the talks. The idea of this thread is to get us locals together to talk about the trails and what is going on up there on Sumas. I want to talk about the current status of all trails and who's doing what and where on the mountain. And to talk about how rad or bad our latest rides on Sumas were. Looking forward to learning and sharing info on Sumas and its trail system.
Thanks,
ty

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 at 16:13 Quote
I hear the "new" middle gate has been put in near Time Killer. Hopefully that will keep the shuttlers off Knob Gobbler!

O+
Posted: Nov 28, 2009 at 16:23 Quote
New new gate is around the 5.5 KM mark, which is only a few hundred meters past the TimeKiller turn, so yep it'll pretty much stop big bikes from pushing the extra 2+ kms to the top of the Gobbler AM trail.

Trails are in pretty good although a bit wet Smile conditions. 3 trees down on World Cup that would require a saw or axe to remove.

Posted: Nov 29, 2009 at 16:43 Quote
NoahFear has a new entrance bridge,which leads you to the optional logride,which is being redone by runging.
Though not complete NF is feeling the love.
The drop at the end has been made more manageable with a redo,and more love is coming for this old trail.
NFear is actually got some sweet flow , named after the very young son of a trailbuilding friend.
There is a Noah and he now rides mountainbike,gotta love it.
Mr.Gee

Mod
Posted: Dec 3, 2009 at 15:45 Quote
Rode Knob Gobler into Noah Fear ect today, amazing! NF has soooo much flow right now and its running really fast and dry. Thanks for the bridge work, its going to add a lot more flow!

Posted: Dec 4, 2009 at 15:57 Quote
TimeKiller has a couple of newly redone sections in the FreewayBob section.
A few new trees have been taken out after laying down across the trail.
The cliff section of clearcut is being redone as water and a erant quad has put a lot of pressure here.

Rule of thumb for Sumas. FYI
All trails on the E. side of the access road are XC oriented( KnobGobbler/HolidaySauce/ExtraSauce/Peel)

While those trails on the W. side are more freeridish. (big bikes fun ,small bikes challenging to put it mildly.)
W. side TimeKiller/NoahFear-still seeing more work on the big log ride at the start.
Cabin down Devils Throat---very steep-- ( I see someone has smashed the devilsface? )the bigskid as I call it and the fun WorldCup.
Exit out onto Bakstad road via TimeOut,this short exit trail will see houses ,so we wait to see where the reroute will be .

In the wet,best trail for big bikes imo TimeKiller.
If it's really, really , wet all trails need love not bikes then,that's the time to show the love and help out.
Thanks to all those that continue to haul out any garbage you see,together we can make a difference.
Mr.G

O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2009 at 11:10 Quote
Yesterday Mike and I caught a ride up to the new gate and then rode to the midway point on Knob Gobbler and into the trails - KNob GObbler, Noah Fear, World Cup. Besides being cold as hell up there, it was really fun. The frost is crazy, but the frozen ground is offering a lot of grip - frozen, not icy! Thanks to who ever cut out all the fallen trees on WOrld Cup and built the new bridges too.

photo

photo

Posted: Dec 13, 2009 at 18:59 Quote
Rode Sumas today in the snow! Probably about 8 years since i rode there last. Pretty slippery, but lotsa FUN!

Posted: Jan 1, 2010 at 12:00 Quote
Sumas Mtn. is rocking,with the freezing weather ,the traction is great,just don't go down.
Rode TKiller the last couple of weeks and it's been very tacky.
The new sections in the TK clearcut really flows and once the frost comes out ,look to some more upgrades.
The runging of the log ride start on NoahFear is done. (NF entrance is just below W. side of the cut out gate mid point)
I do NF and then at the exit turn R. on the access rd (it's a ways but easy to do) to either WorldCup or TimeKiller end further up is another great option.
The only real mucky section has been at the Bakstad parking area exit of TimeOut where the last hundred feet can be muck.
Seen a lot of riders shuttling here lately .
With the new upper gate, I either park at TimeKiller entrance and ride up to the top and do KnobGobbler then either TK or NF.
Or I park at the bottom and ride to the top.
Heading out to do Ledgeview XC ride today on my big bike (South side AmbideXdrous and Flintstones,AutoBahn maybe the fearsome
XCellerator as well.)--If your a superfit XC racer on a xc bike you will undoubtably laugh at this statement Wink
Too much turkey and beer,this could be ugly.
Riding from my house as well and back so big bike or small it's all biking, XC/DH just biking.
Mr.Gee

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 10:46 Quote
Sunday,
Killer day for a xc ride on big Sumas, with my little bike.
Rode half NoahFear then up to HolidaySauce to the XtraSauce to the Peel.
Polar Swim, must be the season or what, cause this Sunday I took a dip in the stream.
While just about finishing the ride,midway in the EmmaPeel, the only old slimy bridge left (two old beams with some 2x4 on it,
I piroetted right off into the stream,full body,head went under and it was cold!
My buddies and I thought it was pretty funny, it took hours ,even after I was home to finally start warming up.
Well worth it,great day,but that scummy bridge is now destined to be replaced,or at least meshed.
Mr.G Smile

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 13:18 Quote
Gee - What and where is Emma Peel? I am only familiar with the main AM line down the south side of the road from Knob Gobbler down and the 2 DH lines off the north side.

Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 14:44 Quote
Emmal Peel is that last piece of the Sumas XC conglomerate. Start with Knob Gobbler, which you already know. Then when you spit out on the road where the old gate is you go down Holiday Sauce and the now new piece Extra Sauce. Once again you`ll spit out on the road. From here you head down Emma Peel with takes you to the bottom gate. Its hard to explain where the trail heads are due too all the side roads, you really need to be shown.

O+
Posted: Jan 4, 2010 at 15:21 Quote
Thanks Mike, I have ridden it then as Carey was the first person to let me tag along on that side of the road and I rode it atleast 6 times last summer - love that area. See you guys on the trails once the newest project bike gets built up.
ty

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2010 at 17:48 Quote
Anybody ride Sumas this weekend? How are the conditions on TimeKiller, Devils Throat and World Cup?

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 at 18:31 Quote
rode time killer on saturday, it was my first tim up and i had a really fun ride, the bridges were frosty, and there were alot of mud pits, but other than that it was fun and i hope to do itt again soon

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011372
Mobile Version of Website