Night Riding Thread - It's dark, lets ride!

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Night Riding Thread - It's dark, lets ride!
Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 6:04 Quote
ruggers wrote:
I think you may be slightly off with real world lumens. My riding partner has the NiteRider 700 Minewt Dual, which he bought for $300 bucks. I went riding with him yesterday and my Gemini Titan is brighter and produces a nicer beam pattern. It's got a single large spread and a nice focal point. I think its better than having 700 lumens split into two beams.

I did do some research into the product. From the LED manufacturer, Seoul Semiconductors it says rated maximum 900 lumens, and typically 700 lumens. So yes I guess its never really exactly as they say it is! But 700 lumens is good enough. I think it depends on the quality of the LED emitter. There are different bin versions of the P7, which produce between 700-900 lumen.

http://www.seoulsemicon.com/en/product/prd/zpowerLEDp7.asp

Also depends on driver how much burn time is wanted from battery etc... But i still think the point is valid, do not take optimal laboratory tested peak lumen performance reported by the LED manufacturer as a real world value, reflectors, lenses and drivers affect the output.

Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
"LUX" is actually a much more accurate "real world" measurement than Lumens

most of the UK magazines doing light tests will give a LUX rating using a professional photographic light meter setup in the correct conditions, than taking a light manufacturer's ratings Wink

Posted: Nov 16, 2010 at 13:07 Quote
brule wrote:
Magic Shine update:
To Our Valued Geomangear Customers,

Words.

Thanks!!
Geoman
Geomangear.com

Crap! Looks like I'm one of them. Please keep us posted.

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 0:58 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
"LUX" is actually a much more accurate "real world" measurement than Lumens

most of the UK magazines doing light tests will give a LUX rating using a professional photographic light meter setup in the correct conditions, than taking a light manufacturer's ratings Wink

Aaand it gives some direction of brightness. If you want exact measurement you use this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrating_sphere

Very few bike light manufacturers rate their lights with this method of measurement.

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 11:49 Quote
Very few bike light manufacturers rate their lights with this method of measurement.

there is a reason for this - it can actually tell which lights are much better than others, and manufacturer's claims of massive lumens would fall short when measured using LUX, showing up the inadequacy in their reflector design and choice of emitter / electronics

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 12:34 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

there is a reason for this - it can actually tell which lights are much better than others, and manufacturer's claims of massive lumens would fall short when measured using LUX, showing up the inadequacy in their reflector design and choice of emitter / electronics

Yup, thats why i got myself Piko from Lupine, it competes with P7 Magicshine in terms of power, beam is more narrow but thats okay, i use the Magicshine for flood from handlebars and the Piko as beam from helmet, now my night riding lights are sorted Smile

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 13:58 Quote
anyone have experience with the magicshine mj808s? I'm thinking about one for the bars, one for the helmet. they're a claimed 900 lumen, supposedly giving off more like 700 but for about £50 on fleabay, i'm not complaining! the mtbr review shows them as pretty good to be honest. the fact that you have to cycle through the modes doesn't bother me Smile

Posted: Nov 17, 2010 at 21:21 Quote
rolto1822 wrote:
anyone have experience with the magicshine mj808s? I'm thinking about one for the bars, one for the helmet. they're a claimed 900 lumen, supposedly giving off more like 700 but for about £50 on fleabay, i'm not complaining! the mtbr review shows them as pretty good to be honest. the fact that you have to cycle through the modes doesn't bother me Smile

It will work, i'd guesstimate around 600ish lumens for mine, Piko 3 hs about same amount of light power.

Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 14:19 Quote
something to be wary of with Magicshine, etc. is a series of battery failures causing fires during charging or battery failure causing no light during normal use

there is a product recall on some of these units that have been brought into countries like the UK and Canada through proper distribution companies

it can be worth buying a more expensive light from an established manufacturer like Hope, Light & Motion, Cateye, Lumicycle, Exposure, etc. to get good Quality Control and warranty support

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2010 at 14:24 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
something to be wary of with Magicshine, etc. is a series of battery failures causing fires during charging or battery failure causing no light during normal use

there is a product recall on some of these units that have been brought into countries like the UK and Canada through proper distribution companies

it can be worth buying a more expensive light from an established manufacturer like Hope, Light & Motion, Cateye, Lumicycle, Exposure, etc. to get good Quality Control and warranty support
Yeah sounds like its worth paying a bit more, but to be honest from what i've heard the proper UK supplier has ridiculously good customer service, though for like £50 you can't really go wrong.

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 at 0:58 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

+ Lupine

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 at 9:16 Quote
These lights look to be far superior to everything else on the market- www.full-beam.com

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 at 10:24 Quote
stratmastertj wrote:
These lights look to be far superior to everything else on the market- www.full-beam.com

690 grams + HID? No thanks.

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 at 11:33 Quote
Well, its the most powerful most compact light I have seen. Has a more powerful beam than any other light on the market light I have seen so far. It's like a car highbeam for a bike, judging by the pics and videos of it in action.

Posted: Nov 19, 2010 at 12:22 Quote
if i'm using a magicshine in the U.S am i affected by the recall?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027590
Mobile Version of Website